Ssb - the international eleven #5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - the international eleven #5

And so we come to those players still on the circuit, who are at something of a disadvantage as it is harder to put their careers into perspective.

MARCO FU

Years as professional: 1997-
    Ranking titles: 1
    Ranking finals: 3
    Other titles: 1
    Highest ranking: 8
    Years in top 16: 4
    Crucible appearances: 8

At his best, Fu is a formidable competitor with a fine temperament and the game to beat anyone.
    This is evidenced by his excellent record against both Ronnie O’Sullivan and John Higgins.

What has let him down over the years is a lack of consistency, partly due to his desire to change his technique early in his professional career and work on it ever since.

Fu won the 1997 world amateur title and joined the circuit full time in 1998, when he reached the final of that season’s first event, the Grand Prix at Preston, beating O’Sulivan and Peter Ebdon en route.

He was beaten 9-2 by a superlative Stephen Lee performance but served notice that he could become Asia’s first Crucible champion.

Fu made it into the top 16 after only two seasons but immediately dropped out again as he struggled to maintain his early potential.

There were highlights. He made a 147 – the first to be screened on the internet – at the 2000 Scottish Masters, beat O’Sullivan in the first round of the 2003 World Championship and won the 2003 Premier League.

However, it wasn’t until 2007 that he captured his first ranking title. Fu defeated O’Sullivan again to land the Grand Prix, his focused, metronomic playing style contrasting with the Rocket’s instinctive, volatile approach.

The previous year, Fu recovered from 15-9 down to take Ebdon to a deciding frame in their Crucible semi-final.

Last season, he took Shaun Murphy the full distance in the UK Championship final.

More...

Fu i feel should've won more than just the Grand Prix by now. He has IMO one of the best temperament's out there and also has a very good all round game.

I still think he's good enough to win another ranking event of some kind, but is probably just a little short of confidence of late with not having the best start to the season so far..
    "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
      Fu i feel should've won more than just the Grand Prix by now. He has IMO one of the best temperament's out there and also has a very good all round game.

I still think he's good enough to win another ranking event of some kind, but is probably just a little short of confidence of late with not having the best start to the season so far..
      hes a great breakbuilder has a great temprament and he has defanatly underachieved.

comentators has pinpointed a weakness often he cant play with power but really he has enough pluses in his game to outweigh the weakness and winning just one tournament and only 3 ranking finals in total in 11 years is very poor for him.

Comment

Working...
      X