DING JUNHUI

Years as professional: 2003-
    Ranking titles: 3
    Ranking finals: 4
    Other titles: 1
    Highest ranking: 9
    Years in top 16: 3
    Crucible appearances: 3

Ding’s reputation preceded him. Peter Ebdon described him as “the best 15 year-old I have ever seen” and there was much pressure on the teenager when he turned professional in 2003.

He struggled not only at the qualifiers but in the UK, an alien culture to that he had been used to in his first 16 years.

However, he beat Marco Fu on his Wembley debut in 2004 and a year later produced one of snooker’s best ever performances to land his home title.

Ding had been taken out of the qualifiers and put straight into the main draw for the 2005 China Open so that his own supporters could see him in action.

He grabbed this chance with both hands, beating Fu, Ebdon, Ken Doherty and Stephen Hendry to become the second youngest winner of a ranking title.

Ding won two more, the 2005 UK Championship and 2006 Northern Ireland Trophy, to become only the second player, after John Higgins, to capture three ranking titles while still a teenager.

He was clearly heading for the top four, for the Crucible title, for world domination.

But the pressure of carrying the hopes of the planet’s biggest populace on his young shoulders began to tell for this shy young man.

At Wembley in 2007, he made only the second maximum break in the history of the Masters but would end the final in tears trying to concede a frame early after being outplayed by Ronnie O’Sullivan and subjected to hostile treatment by the partisan crowd.

Another heavy defeat by O’Sullivan at the Crucible further knocked Ding’s confidence and he entered a slump which he is only now recovering from.

He reached the Grand Prix final earlier this month and, at 22, can still make good on all that early promise.

I wouldn’t be surprised if he topped a list such as this in ten years time.

More...

i think having ding in 4th means

Robertson 3rd
    Thorburn 2nd
    Doherty 1st

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post

Robertson 3rd
      Thorburn 2nd
      Doherty 1st
      what about wattana
      Robbo Unbeatable in ranking finals 6 out of 6

COME ON ROBBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Robertson 3rd
        Thorburn 2nd
        Doherty 1st
        I wouldn't bet against it..
        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by superaussie View Post
          what about wattana
          good shout mate ?

what about wattana so Dave not thinking of doherty as international or hes forgoten about james

it could be

Wattana 3rd
          Robertson 2nd
          Thorburn 1st

Comment

C'mon Dave put us out of our misery..

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
              C'mon Dave put us out of our misery..
              you are a man of a certain age would you put Wattana ahead of Ding ?

Wattana is a great player and i would have him high up on the list but not ahead of Ding.

Comment

you are a man of a certain age would you put Wattana ahead of Ding ?

Wattana is a great player and i would have him high up on the list but not ahead of Ding.
                I was just thinking that. As good as a player as James was, i would never rate him above Ding, especially in the fact that he wasn't as successful as when it came to winning tournaments such like Ding in the short time he has been a pro..

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Well, David did say in the introduction that he is only considering non British and Irish players, that rules out Doherty.

He also says that there have been 6 ranking event winners, although I make it 7. And Bob Chaperon is the one missing on his list.

Comment

ok its safe to say Wattana is in the top 3 then if irish is missing.

Comment

Working...
                    X