Ssb - cliff's sharp shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - cliff's sharp shooting

Snooker legend Cliff Thorburn has warmed up for his first high profile playing engagement in a decade by taking a trip down memory lane.

Thorburn, a former world champion and world no.1, came through the pool and snooker hustling scene in North America in the late 1960s/early 70s.

And the 61 year-old Canadian revealed that it could sometimes be a dangerous way to make a living.

“I was 25 before I turned professional but I’d been banned from shooting pool Victoria, then banned from Vancouver, then banned from Ontario. So we moved to San Francisco," he said.

“Then one night I won a lot of money but then had to lose it all – and a bit more – back to the guys I had taken it from in the first place when one of them opened his jacket and flashed a gun.

“I knew then I’d gone as far as I could go and the only place left after that was to come to the UK where the audience and sponsors would pay you to play.

“After the gun incident, suddenly wet, windy Tuesday nights in Blackpool, Derby and the likes seemed quite attractive.”

Thorburn is among the eight man field for the 110sport Legends event at Glenrothes this weekend.

He tackles Alex Higgins, who he beat 18-16 to win the 1980 World Championship.

And the ‘Grinder’ exploded the myth often propagated that snooker was all just a bit of fun in the boom years of the 1980s.

“It would be fair to say that Alex and I were not always on speaking terms way back then but that was the same as a lot of players because it was serious business,” he said.

“Look at some of the pictures before finals and you would often see the two players looking as if they really had no time for their opponent because it meant so much.

“Nowadays the players are asking how the wives and kids are, where they went on holiday. I don’t think it has the same intensity as it had back then.”

You can read a typically entertaining interview with Higgins in today’s Scottish Sun here.

More...

yes theres a lot of myth about 80s snooker. it isnt this laugh a minute smiling face joke about era some think it was.

it was dour hard match snooker by people desparate to knock steve Davis off his perch in any way possible.

Cliff is right in a way todays players have a much softer mindset especially the younger player .....you often see the likes of Trump just giving up when the going gets tough..

Comment

Alex's interview PRICELESS!!
      "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
        Alex's interview PRICELESS!!
        Absolutely brilliant, makes me happy that !

Comment

Me too................lol

Comment

Alex is a one off theres no doubt about that

Comment

look forward to his after match interview tonight..............

Comment

Originally Posted by MySockPuppet View Post
                Snooker legend Cliff Thorburn has warmed up for his first high profile playing engagement in a decade by taking a trip down memory lane.

Thorburn, a former world champion and world no.1, came through the pool and snooker hustling scene in North America in the late 1960s/early 70s.

And the 61 year-old Canadian revealed that it could sometimes be a dangerous way to make a living.

“I was 25 before I turned professional but I’d been banned from shooting pool Victoria, then banned from Vancouver, then banned from Ontario. So we moved to San Francisco," he said.

“Then one night I won a lot of money but then had to lose it all – and a bit more – back to the guys I had taken it from in the first place when one of them opened his jacket and flashed a gun.

“I knew then I’d gone as far as I could go and the only place left after that was to come to the UK where the audience and sponsors would pay you to play.

“After the gun incident, suddenly wet, windy Tuesday nights in Blackpool, Derby and the likes seemed quite attractive.”

Thorburn is among the eight man field for the 110sport Legends event at Glenrothes this weekend.

He tackles Alex Higgins, who he beat 18-16 to win the 1980 World Championship.

And the ‘Grinder’ exploded the myth often propagated that snooker was all just a bit of fun in the boom years of the 1980s.

“It would be fair to say that Alex and I were not always on speaking terms way back then but that was the same as a lot of players because it was serious business,” he said.

“Look at some of the pictures before finals and you would often see the two players looking as if they really had no time for their opponent because it meant so much.

“Nowadays the players are asking how the wives and kids are, where they went on holiday. I don’t think it has the same intensity as it had back then.”

You can read a typically entertaining interview with Higgins in today’s Scottish Sun here.

More...
                hi if i were a betting man my money would be on Cliff Thorburn cheers Leonard from Canada

Comment

Does anyone know what is his occupation and where has benn he working since 1994?

Comment

cliff has been playing some pool and snooker in canada aswell as organising snooker tournaments in canada with Jim Wych.

Comment

I was at the match, Thorburn played pretty well, he had a 40 and a 50 and potted quite well and played good safety. The table was exceptionally fast and none of the old brigade I saw today handled it at all well although Knowles also had a 50.

Higgins had nothing, he is a physical wreck, was unsteady on his feet (hopefully due to medication) and although he tried like a bear he was outgunned in every department of the game.

He scrapped the last frame up and Thorburn had to pot a good blue and pink to clinch a 4 - 0 win in what must have been appraoching if not over 3 hours.

These were my two favourite players of the 80s and whilst Thorburn looks fit to go on and on, I doubt I will ever see Higgins again.

Thorburn was very gracious after the match saying words to the effect that when you see Alex now past differences don't matter and praising his courage in showing up, his effort and stating, correctly, what a great champion he was.

Comment

Thanks jb for posting that.
                        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
                          I was at the match, Thorburn played pretty well, he had a 40 and a 50 and potted quite well and played good safety. The table was exceptionally fast and none of the old brigade I saw today handled it at all well although Knowles also had a 50.

Higgins had nothing, he is a physical wreck, was unsteady on his feet (hopefully due to medication) and although he tried like a bear he was outgunned in every department of the game.

He scrapped the last frame up and Thorburn had to pot a good blue and pink to clinch a 4 - 0 win in what must have been appraoching if not over 3 hours.

These were my two favourite players of the 80s and whilst Thorburn looks fit to go on and on, I doubt I will ever see Higgins again.

Thorburn was very gracious after the match saying words to the effect that when you see Alex now past differences don't matter and praising his courage in showing up, his effort and stating, correctly, what a great champion he was.
                          Thanks for this much appreciated.......

I did think Cliff would beat Alex he's in much better shape healthwise & hasn't aged much since the 80's looking at him.

Alex is heckled alot in matches these days.....but i like many remember the great player he once was so you accept him as he is. But any new snooker fans watching would judge him as the player he is today..which is a shame.

I think thats why the Legends tour has been mixed up with old & recent players with the recent players producing the great snooker & the older players there for nostalga, but nice for all fans to see the the great names again, regardless.

So at least something for eveyone........old, new fans & snooker fans in general...... i hope i get the chance to see a Legends event n the future.......

Comment

no disrespect to Cliff but its a case of Doherty or Bond to play Hendry in the final.

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post

Interesting, but sad to read the not so great news about Alex. Thanks for the info.

How did things seem between Cliff and Alex ? I shouldnt imagine Alex was too happy if he wasnt playing well. Hopefully he too would have put past differences behind him by now ?
                              "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Working...
                              X