SSB - THE 2000s: PLAYER OF THE DECADE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSB - THE 2000s: PLAYER OF THE DECADE

Ronnie O’Sullivan was the player of the decade, in terms both of most titles won and in the way in which he bestrode the sport as its biggest draw and brightest star.

The 2000s began with O’Sullivan in some personal distress. He checked himself into the Priory Clinic to receive treatment for addiction and depression but despite some well publicised blow ups, kept himself on an even enough keel to realise his full potential as the decade wore on.

On the final night of the 2001 World Championship, O’Sullivan watched as former winners of the title took part in a ‘Champions Parade.’

Ridiculously, Jimmy White was invited to take part, despite the fact he had never won the title.

O’Sullivan looked on as his friend, six times the Crucible runner-up, took his applause and resolved never to put himself in the same position.

He would beat John Higgins in arguably the highest quality of all 10 world finals staged during the decade. Theirs was a rivalry born out of friendship and mutual respect. At the end of the final, Higgins told him he was happy for O’Sullivan’s father that he had won the title, a gesture much appreciated by Ronnie junior.

More titles came: a total of three world crowns, two more UK trophies to add to the two he had won in the 1990s and three more Masters victories in addition to his 1995 success.

But there were slumps as well, including a two and half year gap between winning ranking titles at the 2005 Irish Masters and 2007 UK Championship.

O’Sullivan took instantly to the Premier League’s shot-clock and, with one to go, has hoovered up every title under the format – five in a row, taking his total haul from the decade to seven.

He achieved a level of consistency hitherto lacking in his career and spent a total of five years as world no.1.

There were, of course, headlines for other reasons, ranging from the explosive to the bizarre.

O’Sullivan was extremely unwise to bad mouth Stephen Hendry in such graceless terms before their 2002 Crucible semi-final, which Hendry devoted every conceivable ounce of energy and concentration into winning.

In 2006, he walked out of his match against Hendry at the UK Championship, a gross lapse in professionalism to some, proof of the debilitating effects of his depression to others.

In China in 2008 his crude behaviour in a press conference was front page news, although it soon began to look like a lot of fuss about very little.

The cracks in his fragile character were laid bare at the Crucible in 2005 when he went to pieces as Peter Ebdon grimly ground him down in their World Championship quarter-final.

Yet it is these very human qualities that have endeared O’Sullivan to so many. And it is he, more than any other player, who has drawn new fans to the sport, particularly in areas such as Europe and China where snooker has grown in considerable ways in the last ten years.

O’Sullivan cannot boast the consistent record Hendry enjoyed in the 90s but has been responsible for many of the most memorable moments of this decade.

In 2007, he made a century in each of the five frames he won against Ali Carter in the Northern Ireland Trophy.

The same year he ended an epic UK Championship semi-final against Mark Selby with a maximum.

He lost two terrific Masters finals in deciders, first to Paul Hunter in 2004 and then to Higgins in 2006.

And he destroyed Higgins in the 2005 Wembley final and then Ding Junhui in 2007, putting together snooker Steve Davis described as “unplayable.”

For O’Sullivan, this was a decade in which, for all his frailties and love-hate relationship with snooker, he came of age as a player.

Our sport should consider itself lucky to have him.

More...

Originally Posted by MySockPuppet View Post
    Ronnie O’Sullivan was the player of the decade, in terms both of most titles won

More...
    Fully deserved IMO!
    "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Yes, it's tough to argue with this choice. While Williams was immense in the early part of the decade, winning two world titles, and Higgins winning two in the latter part, O'Sullivan is the only player to win three. And his winning years - 2001, 2004, 2008 - prove he is the only player of his generation who was always there as a top2 or top3 player throughout the decade. And he never had a major drought, even in those two and a half years between ranking titles, he added another Masters title and appeared in numerous other finals. But the interesting thing is... for all the talk of O'Sullivan being the most talented player ever, it was his contemporary John Higgins that won a lot more as a young man, and O'Sullivan was the most successful as he matured a bit.

For me (as well as statistically), his best season was the 2004-2005 season, under the guidance of Ray Reardon. That was the season following his second world title, where he managed to win three ranking titles and the Masters. His game had that ruthless scoring he's had throughout his career, as well as the potting ability that is now very inconsistent, and the tactical balance that now comes and goes. That was also a very pivotal season in the decade, as Stephen Hendry won his last ranking title to date, Mark Williams disappeared as a top4 player, and Paul Hunter was diagnosed with cancer. But it also saw the emergence of new contenders such as Stephen Maguire, who beat O'Sullivan two times and came within a frame of knocking him out of the WC, Shaun Murphy who won the WC, and John Higgins also ended his silverware drought.

Here's my personal favourite moments of O'Sullivan:

The business end of the 2004 World Championship. Starting with the QF against Anthony Hamilton. O'Sullivan played so nonchalantly and had the referee running around the table after the frames were won on many occasions. In the SF against Hendry (who had himself demolished Ian McCulloch in the QF) he continued where he left off. Unfortunately Hendry couldn't reproduce the magic of the 1999 and 2002 SFs, but O'Sullivan certainly did. I wonder what the record is for "fewest visits needed by the winning player" in best-of-33 matches, but this display of one visit snooker might be it. And after finding himself 0-5 down against Dott in the final, O'Sullivan once again raised his game and hardly gave Dott a shot after that. In those three matches, I had the feeling it could have gone on for days, and O'Sullivan would keep winning 7 out of each 8 frames or so.

The 2005 and 2007 Masters finals. Another two great displays of scoring. He played awesomely against Higgins in 2005, pretty much taking every scoring chance in the 2nd session. And we know how difficult it is to get in against Higgins. In 2007 he played an opponent who beat him in a final earlier in the season in Ding Junhui, and Ding was quite impressive in his run to the final. The players seemed to be well matched in the 1st session, but O'Sullivan sustained it in the 2nd, probably even raised his game a bit, while Ding cracked under the pressure of O'Sullivan's snooker, as well as the hostile atmosphere. While the snooker that night is worth remembering, I'd rather forget O'Sullivan's embarrassment at the award ceremony.

The 2007 UK Championship final was another trashing, with Maguire not turning up at all. But the better triumph was probably the SF victory over Selby. Selby doesn't play the kind of game that O'Sullivan likes, and he was up for the match and pushed him all the way through. But O'Sullivan made that brilliant maximum in the decider.

Then there is the SF of the 2008 World Championship against Hendry. The result might be similar to the 2004 match, but the snooker was slightly different. O'Sullivan scored very well again, especially in the 2nd session, but his safety was what gave him the edge. When you consider the score, it seems silly to say that it could have been different. But Hendry did have the chance to open up a gap, but he threw it away. And after a couple of brilliant breaks by O'Sullivan, Hendry was filled with self doubt, and O'Sullivan had it in the bag. Also worth mentioning from that Championship is the match against Mark Williams, which was a very open, attacking match. It looked like it could go either way, but O'Sullivan played a very good final session, finishing with a maximum.

The 2009 Masters final didn't have that much of O'Sullivan's signature heavy scoring, it was more of a mental victory over himself. He played an opponent who was willing to do everything it took to win, and O'Sullivan had to do the same, even if it meant playing a kind of game he usually doesn't enjoy. He did that, and judging by his demeanor after the match, he didn't regret it.

And of the "minor" victories, there is one in particular that stuck in my memory. The 2005 Welsh Open final against Hendry. The standard was pretty high, with Hendry leading 3-0 and 7-4 (or something similar anyway), and O'Sullivan coming back at him on two occasions. It finally went to a decider and O'Sullivan made a remarkable break, using mostly the baulk colours to leave Hendry needing snookers. I'd love to see that one again.

Of course O'Sullivan played his part in a lot of other memorable matches, where he was on the losing end. But let's discuss those when the other players are introduced.

Tough choice for number 2 now. I look forward to reading it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
        was always there as a top2 or top3 player throughout the decade.
        ... except for 2007/2008, where he was top 5, having started the decade in 2000/2001 as top 4.
        2008-09 Prediction Champion

Comment

Originally Posted by Migtsf View Post
          ... except for 2007/2008, where he was top 5, having started the decade in 2000/2001 as top 4.
          Yes, of course, I didn't strictly mean the rankings. But he was always perceived as the best player in the world, or at least second to the likes of Higgins and Williams in certain periods.

Comment

The 2001 UK final also sticks in my mind, which was the first time Ronnie produced really peerless snooker. I think a lot of players watched that and wondered how they were going to compete.

As for the number 2 player in a way I think Williams shades it. I know he's pretty much confined to the first half of the decade but along with Ronnie, he's the only player to win two world championships during the most competitive period of all time in snooker. Not only that but he was also the only player who did the triple crown, and became the only player to ever do the BBC Grand Slam. O'Sullivan and Higgins have enjoyed increased longevity but Williams produced the most impressive display of dominance of the three, and perhaps the most impressive ever - when Davis and Hendry won their triple crowns they weren't facing the level of competition Williams was. All said and done Williams probably achieved a career highpoint above Ronnie.

Comment

Tough choice for number 2 now. I look forward to reading it.
              For the first half of 2000s, it's Williams, who set the pace for about 5 years, and then in the second half, Higgins takes over and continues impressive standard.

There was no one to choose over Ronnie. Let's put this fact into consideration: Only argument he might lose his best of the champions status was winning the world title after Higgins(1998) and Williams(2000) did. But the date is 2001, and this is a comparison of their forms in 2000s, which, not only keeps Ronnie ahead, but also drops Higgins a bit, considering he waited 9 years to win it again..

1-Ronnie O'Sullivan
              2-Mark Williams
              3-John Higgins
              4-Paul Hunter
              5-Matthew Stevens

I hope I'm not overlooking a big gun in my list

Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
              As for the number 2 player in a way I think Williams shades it. I know he's pretty much confined to the first half of the decade but along with Ronnie, he's the only player to win two world championships during the most competitive period of all time in snooker. Not only that but he was also the only player who did the triple crown, and became the only player to ever do the BBC Grand Slam. O'Sullivan and Higgins have enjoyed increased longevity but Williams produced the most impressive display of dominance of the three, and perhaps the most impressive ever - when Davis and Hendry won their triple crowns they weren't facing the level of competition Williams was. All said and done Williams probably achieved a career highpoint above Ronnie.
              I think Mark is the unlucky man of this decade.. Without Ronnie or John out there, he would be the next force in the game..But it would take value away from his titles, so as a Williams fan, I'm happy to see what he's won, considering the number of candidates for titles back then..
              Last edited by montoya10; 13 November 2009, 04:25 PM.
              All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

Originally Posted by montoya10 View Post
                1-Ronnie O'Sullivan
                2-Mark Williams
                3-John Higgins
                4-Paul Hunter
                5-Matthew Stevens

Well, I'm struggling to make a case for Stevens in the top10, let alone the top5. First there is still Ebdon and Hendry who are clearly ahead. Hunter you've already mentioned, then there are the likes of Doherty, Murphy, Maguire, Robertson... It's tough to sort them.

Comment

Who else?!?

=o)

Noel
                  Attached Files

Comment

I think Stevens' Masters and UK titles certainly put him in the top 10. Strange as it may seem Hendry didn't win any majors. His performance this decade has not been very impressive. His only really good year was probably 2003. Stevens' success again is confined to the first half of the decade reaching two world finals in 2000 and 2005. 2004/05 was a strange season really with Hendry, Williams and Doherty all fading and Hunter taken out of the equation. You lost half your world class field in that season.

Comment

Well, I'm struggling to make a case for Stevens in the top10, let alone the top5. First there is still Ebdon and Hendry who are clearly ahead. Hunter you've already mentioned, then there are the likes of Doherty, Murphy, Maguire, Robertson... It's tough to sort them.
                      Yeah, I forgot Ebdon and Doherty, but deliberately left Murphy, Maguire and Robertson out, as IMHO, they aren't and never going to be good enough to be called in a BEST OF list.. You see, I'm a bit traditionalist who thinks young ones can never challenge legends In any of the sports I follow, this rule never changes.. I never stand on seeing a legend compared to his successors..

I was going to write Hendry to 5th place, but if this list was for 90s, he would be, without any doubt, on top of it.. So, it did not make any sense to add him down to this one..
                      All the way Mark J!!

Comment

Originally Posted by montoya10 View Post

1-Ronnie O'Sullivan
                        2-Mark Williams
                        3-John Higgins
                        4-Paul Hunter
                        5-Matthew Stevens

I agree with the top 3 obviously but there is no way I would have Hunter and Stevens at 4 and 5. Ebdon and Murphy have both won the World and UK and appeared in another world final. I would have those at 4 and 5 with Stevens and Hunter at 6 and 7. Dott at 8 because of his world title and world final and Robertson and Maguire at 9 and 10 for both winning 4 ranking events.
                        TSF World Champion 2010
                        TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
                        BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Comment

Originally Posted by Alex0paul View Post
                          I agree with the top 3 obviously but there is no way I would have Hunter and Stevens at 4 and 5. Ebdon and Murphy have both won the World and UK and appeared in another world final. I would have those at 4 and 5 with Stevens and Hunter at 6 and 7. Dott at 8 because of his world title and world final and Robertson and Maguire at 9 and 10 for both winning 4 ranking events.
                          You wouldn't put Hendry in the top10 at all? He won 4 as well, along with his world final, and he also spent a season as world number one.

Well, I don't know... When we consider the best players of the decade, what I would do is consider everything that happened from 2000 to 2009, and pretend nothing happened before or after that. I would only consider what the likes of John Higgins, Hendry and others have done in this decade. Same with the players whose peak will continue in the next decade. And I think that's what David will be doing as well.

Comment

You wouldn't put Hendry in the top10 at all? He won 4 as well, along with his world final, and he also spent a season as world number one.

Well, I don't know... When we consider the best players of the decade, what I would do is consider everything that happened from 2000 to 2009, and pretend nothing happened before or after that. I would only consider what the likes of John Higgins, Hendry and others have done in this decade. Same with the players whose peak will continue in the next decade. And I think that's what David will be doing as well.
                            Your point is strong, so I really wonder your top 10 now
                            All the way Mark J!!

Comment

Hendry has been in a World final 2 UK Finals and a masters final, won 4 Ranking tournaments and in total been in 12 Ranking finals this millenium more than any player bar Ronnie,Higgins and Williams and there is no way on this plannet id have Stevens,Dott or Murphy above him this decade.

Comment

Working...
                              X