Ssb - red button latest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - red button latest

You'll recall I posted last month about the scrapping of channel 302 on Freeview and what impact this may have on the BBC's snooker coverage.

For the last few years, they have been showing both tables all day long on the red button.

Well, the BBC's Matt Millington has had this to say: "The two-table offering from major snooker events will be a difficult one for us. Where possible, we will aim to offer the alternative table to that being shown on the network channel, so two tables will be on offer for at least some of the time."

In the afternoons this means a choice for viewers but the BBC shows just an hour of live coverage in the evenings - from 7-8pm - before returning some four hours later for highlights, so clearly Freeview viewers will miss out.

However, viewers with Sky and cable and those watching on the BBC website will be unaffected.

More...

It is still so disappointing. Were the figures SO low for the snooker?
    Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
    Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

I heard somewhere that the bbc are reducing a number of their red button services on freeview - the red button news services - rolling weather forecasts etc, are also getting axed. Apparently it is because they need more room for their HD offerings.

That seems to be the way things are though. Hardly anything stays free for long if it can be charged for.
      "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

the bbc is spread out pretty thinly these days and they are not getting the rise in the licence fee they wonted so cuts will be made but im sure if we all write in to points of view lol or spam there mb http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview

lol i dout it will do anything but at least they will know that people aren't happy:snooker:

Comment

Still at least it will be on the website so anyone who really wants to watch it will be able to. We're just losing an option, not the actual snooker itself.

Comment

Good old Sky. It's alright for people with Sky but unfair for people without it.

Comment

I have a few friends who enjoy watching Snooker but they only have freeview...can see them going down the road of getting a sky box or going to virgin..
              "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
                It is still so disappointing. Were the figures SO low for the snooker?
                it has nothing to do with snooker its across the board aparantly the channel is disapering not just snooker on that channel.

Comment

Originally Posted by Templeton Peck View Post
                  Still at least it will be on the website so anyone who really wants to watch it will be able to. We're just losing an option, not the actual snooker itself.
                  Not really. That's not available outside UK.
                  Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
                  http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
                    Well, there's Eurosport Player for those in Europe
                    But I love watching snooker with BBC commentary and fluffs.
                    Winner of crucible77's 2008 World Championship Fantasy Snooker Game
                    2008-09 Fantasy Snooker Seasonlong Champion

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
                      This might be worth checking out Monique: http://www.myp2pforum.eu/live-tv/41045-british-tv.html

Can't vouch for the program personally but it seems to be getting good responses.

Comment

This might be worth checking out Monique: http://www.myp2pforum.eu/live-tv/41045-british-tv.html

Can't vouch for the program personally but it seems to be getting good responses.
                        Yes. I use this program and it works without complications.
                        2011 Welsh Open Prediction Runner-Up
                        2010 World Open Fantasy Game Winner
                        2009/2010 Seasonlong Prediction Contest Runner-Up
                        2010 Masters Prediction Runner-Up

Comment

Well I tried it and it does not work for me, probably because I'm on Mac and still with the PowerPC chip.
                          Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
                          http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

You can get the full red button service on FREESAT (no payment required). Buy a secondhand box from eBay/carboot for a couple of quid and a dish off eBay for under £20 inc postage. (Worth getting one with quad LNB so you can add extra boxes.) You'll have to get a Freesat card from Sky (£20) if you want to watch more than just BBC/ITV/4/5 etc.

There are some google maps tools that help you find the direction of the satellite. The dish doesn't need to be high up, it just needs a clear view. Best to keep your Freeview box as well; there are a lot of channels you can't get on Freesat- noteably the ones likely to appeal to snooker fans like Dave and Quest.

Comment

freesat red button

I was just wondering whether freesat offered this.

When you say pick up an old box, do you mean an old sky(+) and hook that up and then you get the free to air channel that they offer or are you talking about the newer freesat boxes and channel lineup.

I'm wondering what to do before the uk championship starts, from what I can tell at least 1 table will still be on the red button in the evenings via freeview?

Comment

Working...
                              X