Ssb - world championship: Early betting show

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - world championship: Early betting show

I’ve been taking a look at the early betting for next April's Betfred.com World Championship – these long autumn evenings just fly by – and am struck by the shortness of the odds for a Mark Selby title triumph.

Most bookmakers have him as third favourite behind Ronnie O’Sullivan and John Higgins. Some have him joint second with Higgins.

William Hill has even made him 13/2 second favourite. Surely this is too short.

Selby is a fine player and could well have won the Crucible crown last season but, despite five centuries, was outwitted at the last by Higgins in their quarter-final.

But this season he is seeded to face O’Sullivan in the quarter-finals.

And so far this campaign he has failed to get past the opening round of the first two ranking events.

It's only November and there's plenty of time for things to turn round.

But only Skybet appear to have him as a bigger price for the title than Murphy, who won snooker’s biggest prize four years ago and was runner-up to Higgins last season.

Perhaps this is early caution from the bookies but if Selby wins a tournament or two in the run in to the Crucible this means his price is likely to shorten and he could well start as second favourite, breathing down O’Sullivan’s neck.

We won’t know the first round line-up until March but Higgins is in a useful section at the top of the draw.

Neil Robertson’s price will have shortened following his Grand Prix triumph last month but he’s still 14/1 with the sponsors, Betfred, and something tells me he won’t be that big when the Sheffield marathon kicks off.

Those looking for a good each way bet some five months before the tournament begins may be attracted by the 66/1 you can get on Peter Ebdon with Betfred and Stan James.

OK, he’s not performing consistently well these days but he always digs in at the Crucible, has been in three finals there and tends to come good once every 12-18 months.

It will have been just over a year since he won the China Open when the 2010 World Championship begins.

As it stands now, he’d be among the dark horses for me behind title challengers O’Sullivan, Higgins, Murphy, Robertson, Allen, Selby and Maguire (in that order).

The likes of Ryan Day, Ali Carter, Ding Junhui and Ricky Walden would figure as well.

Betfred rate Jimmy White – who would have to win three qualifying matches just to reach the Crucible – a 2,500/1 title shot.

I think jungle success is rather more likely for the people’s champ.

More...

If your not sure a certain player will win but you feel they may reach the final you can bet each way at half the odds. So if a player like Robbo is 14/1 to win it youll get 7/1 if you bet each way if he is runner-up.
    Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
    Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

I can imagine that Mark will win either the UK Championship or World Championship this year. I think Mark is a great player and he deserves it.
      2011 Welsh Open Prediction Runner-Up
      2010 World Open Fantasy Game Winner
      2009/2010 Seasonlong Prediction Contest Runner-Up
      2010 Masters Prediction Runner-Up

Comment

Originally Posted by Barcicik View Post
        I can imagine that Mark will win either the UK Championship or World Championship this year. I think Mark is a great player and he deserves it.
        You don't win because you "deserve it" whatever that means. You win because you are the best man on the day/week. Mark this season has been very poor.
        Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
        http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Losing in round 1 of the Grand Prix and Shanghai to players ranked 21 and 44 (with all respect to two superb players in Doherty and Bingham) isnt a sign that he's gonna win anything this season to me.
          Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
          Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

I don't think he'll win either of those this season. Actually, I'm not too convinced that he's going to win anything this season. Time might prove me wrong but so far Selby has been out of form.

Comment

Selby has not instilled in me any reason so far why he should be such a short price for next year's WC. As previously mentioned so far his form has been poor to what he is normally use to.

Though for me he seems better suited in longer matches like the UK and WC. He's lacking in confidence at present, but if can find a good run of form and make it to a final possibly, then we should see a resurgence in Selby's game and indeed his confidence. Then as before he would fully justify his short odds and be a major contender for the WC.
              "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

robbo has a far better chance than selby so them odds are just silly
                Robbo Unbeatable in ranking finals 6 out of 6

COME ON ROBBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Ok. We'll see what happens. Season is still long enough.

Monique - I didn't say that he will win because he deserves it, but if he wins, it will be deserved win.

Comment

Ok. We'll see what happens. Season is still long enough.

Monique - I didn't say that he will win because he deserves it, but if he wins, it will be deserved win.
                    Can you point out some tournament win in the past that wasn't deserved?

Comment

Originally Posted by Looki View Post
                      Can you point out some tournament win in the past that wasn't deserved?
                      No

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
                        You don't win because you "deserve it" whatever that means. You win because you are the best man on the day/week. Mark this season has been very poor.
                        yes it always make me laugh people who think they "deserve" it..

every player deserve it for the hours they put in to achieve it but out of a tour of 96 players in 25 years only 25 players maximum will win it.

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
                          If your not sure a certain player will win but you feel they may reach the final you can bet each way at half the odds. So if a player like Robbo is 14/1 to win it youll get 7/1 if you bet each way if he is runner-up.

Is this an advert Roy?

Comment

Originally Posted by RocketRoy1983 View Post
                            Losing in round 1 of the Grand Prix and Shanghai to players ranked 21 and 44 (with all respect to two superb players in Doherty and Bingham) isnt a sign that he's gonna win anything this season to me.
                            Quite similar to Murphys situation going into the UK championship last year actualy ! Maybe that´s why the odds are so good
                            ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                            "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

I wouldn't go for split odds on anybody in Ronnie's half, at least not until he crashes out; it's worth it in the other half (I did that with Murphy this year and he bagged me £35). I personally think Selby has to just focus on staying in the top 16 this season - I don't see him winning a standard ranker at the moment never mind the biggies. It was three years ago he was involved in that superb match against Peter Ebdon at the UK and I think they made three centuries apiece. On paper now that would be the most unappealing match possible - the least two sporting players in the game not to mention two of the slowest, but their 2006 match was probably only behind the 2006 Masters final in quality. Ebdon was cueing well so was fluent and going for his shots, and Selby hadn't yet started using gamesmanship to undermine his opponents, and I would love to see him return to that style of play where he just concentrated on his own game.

Comment

Working...
                              X