Ssb - exclusive: Hearn bids for wpbsa chairmanship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - exclusive: Hearn bids for wpbsa chairmanship

Barry Hearn, the chief executive of the PDC darts circuit and long time manager of Steve Davis, has dramatically agreed to become WPBSA chairman if the current incumbent, Sir Rodney Walker, is overthrown at next month's AGM.

Hearn has been in discussions with the newly formed Snooker Players Association, a union of players who have been attempting to meet with the WPBSA board to discuss issues of concern.

The WPBSA has so far refused to meet them.

Now Hearn, one of the big beasts of the sports promotion world, has entered the fray, agreeing to become chairman of the governing body if Walker is voted out.

Nobody is standing against him, but he can be ousted if enough players vote 'no' on the ballot paper.

A statement from Hearn said: "It was not and is not my intention to run as a candidate for any office within The WPBSA.

"However, having seen first hand the opportunities presented to and currently available to professional snooker on a global basis at this time and the work being carried out by The SPA, I would just like to absolutely assure the players that in the event of a vacancy of chairman being created through this election I would be prepared to step into the role.

"I would of course only consider this with the backing of the players. If the players decide that they are happy with the way things are at present and they re-elect Sir Rodney, I would of course respect that decision and continue to do all I can to create playing opportunities through existing channels.

"I am not currently looking for and neither do I need to take this step, however I do believe there has never been a better time for expansion of the game and it would be a challenge I would relish."

Hearn's intervention effectively makes the AGM a vote of confidence in Walker and his board.

And defeat for them will surely spell the end of the WPBSA as we currently know it.

More...

Interesting.

=o)

Noel

Clearly, Rodney, the "Angelo della Morte" of sport has bigger fish to bury.
    Last edited by noel; 17 November 2009, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Very interesting. Massive few weeks ahead for snooker.

Now is the time for the players to vote with their feet and show up for a change!

MW

Comment

Light at the end of the tunnel??

Comment

But thinking about it - surely the players will have to have some idea of his proposals to improve snooker.
          It is a shame the SPA is not open to Amateur players - and I do hope if there is any sort of a new Board they consider the lower ranked players and the Amateurs and do not just concentrate on Top 16.

Comment

Snooker IMO would certainly be in better hands if Barry Hearn was to take over from Walker..
            "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

As far as i'm aware the SPA is open to all players professional and amateur as a friend of mine paid up his 50 pounds just like everyone else.
              He's not even a regular player but is a promoter.

Comment

I really do hope that the vast majority of players choose not to re-elect Walker and his board. It's time for the players to finally stand their ground for what they believe in. Having Hearn practically running snooker can surely only do the game good in terms of financial benefit, which is afterall the most important aspect when you are playing for a living. I really dont think many players would object to gimmicky tournaments, exhibitons, a bit of crowd noise and the general transformation of snooker to appeal to todays standards if more money became available.

I know many people use the PDC as a prime example of a typcial Barry Hearn success, and i know that many people critisise the playing conditions and atmostphere at competitions, but the truth is that they are earning a very decent living and thats all that counts. I for one would rather see snooker transformed into a prosperous sport, albeit with purely entertainment intentions rather than see the game die a slow death which it is doing in its current state.

If Hearn can improve the way snooker is run without making any changes to in which the game is played then great, if changing the game is the only way more money can be introduced then i think its only fair for the players and fans on the whole. Having to be top 32 to earn a living in a sport that perhaps ranks top 4 in terms of diffculty is disgusting. And its getting worse.
                Last edited by Nat5guns; 17 November 2009, 04:38 PM.
                I love the game of snooker :) (even though my mates think that its just a load of balls :D )

Comment

hearn is no better than rod walker
                  Robbo Unbeatable in ranking finals 6 out of 6

COME ON ROBBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Very interesting news. It's up to the players now, if Hearn is chairman we could see HUGE changes.

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
                      Very interesting news. It's up to the players now, if Hearn is chairman we could see HUGE changes.

yes and plenty of gimmicks
                      Robbo Unbeatable in ranking finals 6 out of 6

COME ON ROBBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by superaussie View Post
                        yes and plenty of gimmicks
                        We'll soon see...

Comment

The big worries for me is that Sky will probably become involved and maybe take the World Champinships. Also this could see the tournament moved overseas in order to make more money. Plus the format could be made shorter along with alot of other quickfire events.
                          TSF World Champion 2010
                          TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
                          BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Comment

Maybe this is positive news for billiards too, or have I gone crazy?

Comment

Sounds promising, but what happens if the players vote NO to Walker and then Hearn changes his mind?
                              Steve Butler
                              www.nottinghamsnooker.com
                              Nottingham Snooker YouTube Channel

Comment

Working...
                              X