Ssb - sir rodney walker interview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - sir rodney walker interview

The Independent has an interview with Sir Rodney Walker in which he talks about the new tour plans.

You can read it here.

More...

What a suprise he comes out of the shadows to do an interview DAYS before the election, when he cant be bothered to make himself available for other important interview concerning the state of snooker. Fiveteen ranking competitions eh? Yeah right. I mean worldsnooker can barely afford to have the pro-challenge series. It's clearly a smokescreen to get Rodders out of the s**t, bide him some more time.

Get Hearn in or if that isnt possible get the SPA board to take worldsnooker over somehow. If there is 15 ranking competetions and various other exhibitions next season, i will gladly eat my hat, shoes, socks and head.
    I love the game of snooker :) (even though my mates think that its just a load of balls :D )

Comment

Not much of an interview was it!

Here is a article by Clive in todays Guardian

Source http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009...d-snooker-tour

Boost for Walker Guardian
      Sir Rodney Walker’s prospects of re-election as chairman of the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association at its December 2 AGM were apparently boosted yesterday when WPBSA and the powerful sports agency IMG issued a joint release on “an unprecedented new World Snooker Tour.”

This would encompass “a minimum of 15 ranking tournaments” – as opposed to this season’s six – “ plus invitation events…phased in from next season.”

Dissatisfaction with the current WPBSA board’s governance of the game has grown significantly in the last year but only last week did an alternative emerge when Barry Hearn, known chiefly recently for revitalising darts, said that in the event of Walker not being re-elected he would be prepared to become chairman.

IMG recently ceased to be WPBSA’s exclusive sponsorship agents for BBC events (for which they hold the BBC production contract) after an argument over commissions for Betfred becoming the world championship sponsors.

As reported by The Guardian last week, 110sport management, of which a WPBSA board member, Lee Doyle, is chairman, received a £37,500 commission from WPBSA for securing Betfred.

IMG remain WPBSA’s agents for producing and selling overseas highlights packages but, over the years, has not enjoyed the friendliest of relationships with Hearn.

“It is interesting that this release was issued only six days before Sir Rodney Walker and two of his colleagues come up for re-election at the AGM. Voting intentions signified to us indicate that Sir Rodney is under serious threat,” said Pat Mooney, manager of John Higgins, world champion, and spokesman for the Snooker Players Association, a new union that WPBSA refuses to recognise.

“It is tempting to see the content of the release as another ‘jam tomorrow’ approach to the players. It commits neither WPBSA nor IMG to anything. It is full of phrases like “plans for”, “the intention is”, “the new concept envisages”, “it is anticipated.

“Neither does it say that IMG would not help the WPBSA if there was a change of chairman.”

Comment

i see this as a win win situation.

if it happens what a world tour we will have if it doesn't Rod Walker and the WSA are history the players are presented with this idea if it doesn't happen then there is no way the WSA can carry on as a governing body of snooker it would be untenable.

Comment

Working...
        X