Ssb - eight wildcards for china open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Mr P View Post
    Maybe if he isn't a better player, he has matured alot more now and if you look at the players he has had to play in the first round of major tournaments, then he could be forgiven for not being that successful this season. Thanks for the inputs into your replies Ore and the chap who posted above you.

Wwildeye or whatever, try to back your thoughts up huh?
    Back my thoughts up.

acting like a spoilt little runt when marcus campbell beat him in the Shangai masters and the Grand prix as if marcus was breaking the law potting balls.

then qualified for the UK and he faced Ebdon he was 2-0 up on ebdon but it finished 4-4 at the interval fair enough good score but at night he lost 5 frames on the spin showing the fight of a jellyfish.

then to wales a nerve wracking match with McLeod in which he was 4-2 down but came back to win and faced Selby no disgrace losing to him but it was nailed on he wouldnt bother selby.

then china by far his best performance this season im looking forward to seing if he can continue but wont be holding my breath.

so in short he has played 8 won 3

last season he had played 15 and won 11 in thoes same tournaments so where is the improvement ???

Comment

The point is, these players give an interest to the country holding the event, and thats part of the contract when these countries decide that they will sponsor these events. Without them getting wildcards, i doubt they would sponsor these events in the first place.

On another note though, i also feel its unfair on the lowest ranked players have to play in the wild card round. They have earn't the right to the last 32, with a chance of more ranking points and a bigger pay day, and quite often, a few of these wildcards knock out the professional.

These wildcards are not just nobodies, many of them are ex main tour professionals, national champions, world amateur champions etc, all very talented indeed. Given their chances as players do in the UK, i am sure many would succeed on the Professional tour such as Ding, Fu, Wenbo etc.

If all the qualifying ranking events were held in China, how many UK players do you think would travel to China and live for the season??? Quite a few probably at the start, then less and less eventually due to costs, families and home sickness. Hence why its so much harder for overseas players to succeed on the World Tour. Then before you know it, the world professional tour would be dominated by most probably 80% of Chinese players.

A lot of them are not on the tour because they are not good enough, its because of the circumstances i have pointed out. The wildcards you have not heard of are all well heard of and respected in the snooker world.

Comment

Will Higginson have to play a wc before meeting Hendry?

Comment

Yes, Higgingson has to play Li Yan.

Click here for full draw with wildcard rounds!

http://www.global-snooker.com/China-...ng-results.asp

Comment

Originally Posted by madman View Post
            Yes, Higgingson has to play Li Yan.

Click here for full draw with wildcard rounds!

http://www.global-snooker.com/China-...ng-results.asp
            Thanks! A little afraid of Higginson, such a streaky player.

Comment

How do the ranking points work then if a qualifyer is beaten by a wildacrd player - as all are more than capable? Not fair if you're struggling to get Top 32 or even stay on the Tour.
              Matt hasn't done all his scenarios for ranking places yet so I don't know if any players goinf to China are vulnerable and need to win their first match. You'd be a bit sick travelling all the way to China to be knoocked out by a Non-Tour player!!

Comment

Originally Posted by madman View Post
                On another note though, i also feel its unfair on the lowest ranked players have to play in the wild card round. They have earn't the right to the last 32, with a chance of more ranking points and a bigger pay day, and quite often, a few of these wildcards knock out the professional.
                I've got the same feeling.
                It's so hazardous to be outside top 16, basically!
                Last edited by ore; 11 February 2010, 09:45 PM.
                Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest.

RIP Noel. RIP.

Comment

Goldengirl:

Yes thats the trouble. If a wildcard player beats the pro, the pro only gets the points he has already earnt to get there, like if he lost in the last 32. But then he never even got the chance to play in the last 32. Thats the same with the prize money as well. As they qualified for the last 32, they would still be entitled to the same points and prize money of the last 32 loser.

As for players being vulnerable, well yes it can affect them actually. James Wattana needs as many points as possible to stay on the main tour, though he still has the worlds as well, and Bjorn Hanaveer could jump into the top 64 if he wins 2 matches out there, 3 now he is in the wildcard round, though also he still has the worlds as well.

So in effect, if these players both lost in the 1st round of the worlds and the wildcard round, this could affect them both, quite drastically in wattana's case. So in this sense, it seems totally unfair!

Comment

Working...
                  X