Ssb - hope for scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - hope for scotland

There is some light at the end of the tunnel for those Scottish players hoping to join the main tour next season.

You may recall the WPBSA withdrew the concessionary place following endless turmoil north of the border which has resulted in two different factions calling themselves the governing body.

But now the Snooker Players Association, a new body designed as a union for players - which had been the original function of the WPBSA - will decide on a process by which to award the place to a Scottish player.

Pat Mooney of the SPA and a WPBSA board member said: "I will be meeting with John Higgins and Alan McManus to discuss the formation of an overseer group and will be hoping to involve all those stakeholders in the game to ensure a clear understanding of the required process.

"The SPA has one single objective and that is to produce a worthy candidate to join the privileged ranks of the main tour. There will be no account taken for politics or current challenges with Scottish Snooker and the place will be awarded on merit.

"We anticipate the support of all potential candidates, the EBSA, Scottish Snooker Ltd, Sport Scotland and of course the WPBSA."

Scotland is a country that has produced four world champions and a host of other quality players.

Let's hope for the sake of Scottish amateurs and the future of the sport in Scotland that this new initiative is successful.

More...

With John and Alan in the mix I believe the situation is in safe hands.

Comment

with respect this is a lot of fuss about nothing.

2 governing bodies in Scotland for christ bloody sake everyone needs to grow up.

Comment

If you saw the state of the game here you would realise it is a lot of fuss over something.

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
          with respect this is a lot of fuss about nothing.

2 governing bodies in Scotland for christ bloody sake everyone needs to grow up.
          you have no idea what you are talking about

Comment

Originally Posted by jb134 View Post
            If you saw the state of the game here you would realise it is a lot of fuss over something.
            Care to elaborate?

Comment

I haven't got time to be thorough, but off the top of my head:-

The "NGB" have for seven years failed to hold their AGM or the voting procedures at the AGM in accordance with the law.

They have failed to comply with an audit request by the members.

They have failed to fulfil promises to various members.

They have failed to provide a membership list - a legal requirement.

They failed to keep to (or reach, I can't remember which) an agreement with the WPBSA. This jeopardises Scotlands main tour place and in my opinion, in a nutshell sums up how much they actually care about the game in this country.

They have failed to grow the game.

They have failed the members.

They now run a "Main tour" which in four events have attracted a total of 60 competitors.

Their rivals which is comprised of the players who were driven away by a desire to have a democratically run body that meets it's obligations and keeps promises attracts a similar number PER event.
              Last edited by jb134; 27 February 2010, 12:29 PM.

Comment

spot on JB

Comment

To sum the situation up, one of the few non-banned members who ever asks questions on the so called NGB "information" website has been asking for a week for results and entries to the Edinburgh open.

Such is the administration of the so called NGB, none are forthcoming.

Although given they are down to two directors who are no doubt frantically trying to sort out bookwork, membership lists for the last 7 years and other outstanding legal obligations having been left to carry the can, I'm not surprised.

Comment

I also have to agree with you john !
                    Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

Thanks Warren, I think the fact that a government agency is willing to pay for an audit into SSL speaks for itself!

Comment

Its been a long time coming !
                        Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Comment

Yes, they have done well to delay the inevitable for so long but in the end you reap what you sow.

Comment

Am happy to report that a non committee member has been enlisted to post the results of the whopping 11 person field for "The Edinburgh Open".

This may of course have attracted more entries if it did not clash with the LAST 32 of an event chosen by the majority of players which attracted 56 ENTRIES in total.

Comment

Just been posted on the ssl website that a whopping 6 players played in the u14s today!!:snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X