Ssb - jimmy white's big week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - jimmy white's big week

All through the 1990s the perennial question asked every year before the World Championship was ‘can Jimmy White win it?’

For the last couple it has been ‘can he qualify?’

This year it’s ‘can he stay on the tour?’

That’s the stark scenario facing the popular Londoner, who reached six Crucible finals between 1984 and 1994.

White goes into the Betfred.com qualifiers this week placed a precarious 60th in the provisional rankings.

He may well have to win his first match to remain in the top 64. If he slips out he will be relegated from the professional circuit after 30 years.

The WPBSA do have at least one wildcard at their discretion. I would find it incredible if this didn’t go to White so that he could continue his career but he could not rely on it indefinitely.

And with the qualifying structure likely to change he might not be able to.

If White gets through a round he ought to be safe. If he loses, his fate with rest in the hands of the players below him on the list.

Either way, it’s a parlous state of affairs for a former world no.2 who, despite the vagaries of form, has never lost his love for the game.

Jimmy’s had some disappointing setbacks this season, losing 5-4 on a re-spotted black from 4-0 up to Ian McCulloch in the Welsh Open qualifiers and then 5-4 to Xiao Guodong in the China Open.

But it was his withdrawal from the UK Championship qualifiers to go on I’m a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here which has proved most costly.

Nobody goes on forever but White’s vast army of supporters will hope their man can go on a little longer.

Regardless of his current fortunes, he’ll still attract plenty of support both at the qualifiers and from those glued to live scoring.

More...

In fact he hasnt done with first two answers and may not do the 3rd aswell..
    2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
    2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Wishing him all the best.. Hope he manage to go through...

Comment

Lets be frank (whoever he is) jimmycards are all the rage at the moment so even if he falls off tour 1 guess who will still be on tour.

Comment

He will snatch the wildcard for the next season and won't feel sorry for the "more deserving ones", like he did in the Masters.

Comment

Originally Posted by matoski View Post
            He will snatch the wildcard for the next season and won't feel sorry for the "more deserving ones", like he did in the Masters.
            You saying if you bought 1 ticket for the lottery and won the jackpot, you would feel sorry for someonw who's bought 5?

Matt Lester
            www.matthew-lester.com

Comment

No harm to Jimmy, but I hope my mate Mark Boyle turns him over in the next round.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cueboy88 View Post
                You saying if you bought 1 ticket for the lottery and won the jackpot, you would feel sorry for someonw who's bought 5?

Matt Lester
                www.matthew-lester.com
                You can´t compare that way. I hope he wins his match, but if he get a wildcard then it¨s for achievements laying 10 - 20 years back, it must be a bitter pill to swallow for some of the youngster with more wins over the last tour who just didn´t make it.
                ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Jimmy has given me some of my best and worst snooker memories, from beating Thorburn in a final after needing snookers to not getting over the line at the crucible.

However, how could the WSA possibly give a wildcard to a guy who withdrew from an event to go on a TV show?

He has effectively jeopardised his own place by his own decision.

Comment

Working...
                  X