Ssb - irish eyes smiling again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - irish eyes smiling again

What a difference a year makes for Ken Doherty.

12 months ago he was close to tears after he lost to Gerard Greene in the final qualifying round of the Betfred.com World Championship and was even contemplating retirement.

It says a lot about his character that instead of feeling sorry for himself he dusted himself down, put in the hard work and is now very likely to be back in the top 32 next season.

His 10-1 defeat of Joe Swail tonight underlined how he has turned things around.

"I’m just delighted to qualify. I’ve had to drag myself back up and it’s great to be at the Crucible again,” Doherty said.

“I was almost in tears last year when I failed to qualify. I didn’t know where my game was going and whether or not it was the end for me but everything has turned around this season."

Credit must also go to Tom Ford, who has qualified for the Crucible for the first time after a top drawer display against Judd Trump, who he beat 10-3.

Ford said he had been motivated to cut down his drinking and apply himself more after watching his fellow Leicester man Mark Selby's rise to the top.

"I see Mark on the TV all the time and it winds me up," he said. "That's nothing against Mark, who texted me to say good luck today, but it makes me realise I should be doing the same thing as well.

"Mark's very, very dedicated and doesn't drink that much. I took the wrong path when I was 18 and started going out too much while he concentrated on playing.

"You have to knuckle down but it's not easy to practise with a hangover. You can party in the summer when there are no tournaments."

David Morris won't be making his Crucible debut this year after losing 10-6 to Michael Holt, who won a big 15th frame on the black.

Barry Hawkins and Martin Gould are also heading back to the game's best known venue after respective wins over Ian McCulloch and Nigel Bond.

More...

Has anyone counted how many times website, blog or newspaper titles mention "Irish eyes smiling" after virtually each match won by an Irish player?.... Aren't these people bored with this and other same-O, same-O?....
    Winner of the 2009 UK Championship Lucky Dip
    Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest

Comment

Originally Posted by Mignon View Post
      Has anyone counted how many times website, blog or newspaper titles mention "Irish eyes smiling" after virtually each match won by an Irish player?.... Aren't these people bored with this and other same-O, same-O?....
      morris wont be smiling and he is irish
      Robbo Unbeatable in ranking finals 6 out of 6

COME ON ROBBO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X