Ssb - alan chamberlain resigns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - alan chamberlain resigns

Alan Chamberlain, the circuit's longest serving referee, has resigned with immediate effect.

Chamberlain, 67, has officiated on the professional circuit since 1983 but decided to hang up his white gloves on Monday a day before the end of the world qualifiers.

I understand he was exhausted by the long hours the refs were required to work for little financial reward.

Alan refereed the 1997 World Championship final, was a long time official at the Masters and took charge of many other big occasions.

Like many referees, there were moments of controversy too but he was regarded as a very safe pair of hands and his sudden resignation has shocked his fellow officials.

He will continue to referee at the Championship League.

More...

He's one of the best...
    Wish him all the best, and maybe it's time for him to get his hands on other stuff after holding onto snooker balls for so many years..

Comment

I hope that he did not make to hasty a decision . He is a very good referee , who looked the part and seemed to have that air of authority .
      I assume that Mr Hearn would be looking at their wages , amongst all the many other issues . You would have thought that he would have hung up his gloves after the worlds . Good luck to him though .
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

A shame that Alan has had to resign, but he has probably done what he feels is best. Good luck to the future, a thoroughly nice guy.

One thing puzzles me. How can a referee of this quality only referee 1 World Championship final!!!!!!!!

Comment

I'm sad to see him go.
          He had a personality and a presence that you can't teach. He reminded me of a latter-day John Smyth. (incase you don't remember, Smyth was the Referee that hugged Kirk Stevens after his 147 in the master's).
          I'm sure he'll make the most of his new-found time, and I hope he's very happy.

Comment

Tiring

The vast majority of players and spectators don't realise just how tiring it is to be a referee, and I can fully understand Alan's decision to hang up his gloves. Referees have to fully concentrate throughout the match, and or virtually every shot they need to be aware of exactly where the cue ball is, and other balls, in case a 'Foul and a Miss' is called.

Referees are on their feet throughout the match, probably for about 3 hours at a time, bar short intervals, and ofter for two sessions a day. For many (especially) non-professional tournaments, where many matches are crammed in each day, the working day can start at 9am and not finish until after midlnight.

It really is quite shattering, especially when you're doing it day in day out for a week or two. That's exactly the reason I passed on the opportunity to join the professionals back in the mid 90s. I have a mentally demanding job, and the last thing I wanted was to spend a couple of weeks of annual holiday, to go off and do something even more mentally knackering!

Alan has always had my respect as a referee, and I'm glad that he's not giving up altogether.

Comment

He was and is an excellent referee,much respected by the players and public alike, i wonder what happened?

Comment

Another big name referee retiring... There have been 4 or 5 (if you include the late Colin Brinded) in the last couple of years. So it's time for some of the younger guys to step up and fill the gap.

Good luck to Alan Chamberlain for the future. It's just a shame that he didn't get to do one last big match before retiring.

Comment

OT: Why did Paul Collier quit refereeing on the Main Tour?

Comment

The thread has been hijacked by people wanted to re-argue old arguments.

Over a very long career Alan Chamberlain has been a very good ref.

Comment

Sorry to see him go. He was The Guvnor of the current refs IMO.
                      "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by stuartfanning View Post
                        The thread has been hijacked by people wanted to re-argue old arguments.
                        I have split this topic, the other part of the conversation is here - http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ad.php?t=23448

Comment

Shame, Alan was always a good ref IMO
                          2009 Shanghai Masters Predict the Qualifiers Champion

2008 Grand Prix Final Prediction Champion

http://ryan147.com

Comment

I'm very sad.

Good luck Alan Chamberlain for the future!
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOCoVQZSihc

Love snooker.:fat:

Comment

Alan was a good ref very long career he got. Wish him all the best!
                              2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                              2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Working...
                              X