Ssb - so this draw, then

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - so this draw, then

Ronnie O’Sullivan’s first round tie with Liang Wenbo looks tough on paper but the match will be played on the green baize and I don’t think it’s the worst draw O’Sullivan could have got.

He’s never lost to Liang, has beaten him at the Crucible before and beat him in a final this season.

That’s not to say it’s an easy draw but at least Ronnie knows how he plays and is more than capable of taking him on again. He’d have been relieved to avoid the likes of Graeme Dott, who has a very good record against him in recent times.

Two matches stand out for me: Stephen Hendry v Zhang Anda and Mark Selby v Ken Doherty.

Like O’Sullivan v Liang, they both take place in what will from now on be known as ‘the quarter of death’.

Hendry will know hardly anything about his 18 year-old opponent and the unknown quantity could cause him problems. Zhang is the only player in the tournament who won’t fully comprehend how special the Crucible is.

However, few debutants ever do well and Hendry has played some good stuff in Sheffield for the last two years.

Neither Selby or Doherty would have wanted to draw each other. Doherty won their last meeting at this season’s Grand Prix and is back playing to a high standard.

Selby knows that if is to be world champion this year he will have to do it the hard way: Doherty then possibly Hendry and O’Sullivan just to get into the semi-finals.

John Higgins, the defending champion, is not a certainty to beat Barry Hawkins, one of those players well capable of causing an upset even though he’s yet to win a match at the Crucible.

Even so, Higgins fans will already be plotting his course through to the quarter-finals, where Neil Robertson looks his likely opponent.

All in all it’s an interesting draw that will take a bit more careful study before I for one make any clear predictions about who is going to win the thing.

More...

Go go Ron...

Comment

The winner is easy to predict. I hear on the grapevine that Steve Davis is back practicing full time and with his wealth of experience and his ability to concentrate better than most professionals I can't see anyone else having a look in. Out of interest what is your opinion of the masters chances???

Comment

I think that the O'Sullivan/Wenbo game will be a real good one. I think Wenbo has learnt a lot from losing in Shanghai. He has had a good run in the UK, so the longer format will suit him a bit better than a best of 9. Personally, I'm hoping for a victory from the man from the East.

Selby and Doherty will also be a good match to watch. I have a feeling that Doherty will upset the Jester. Ken really has improved this season and he has all the attributes to go deep into the tournament. Selby will definetely look at making amends for last season's campaign. That attempted plant in the penultimate frame against Higgins is still fresh in my mind.

As for my favourite player. I'm hopeful that Higgins will go deep into the tournament. Even though the Crucible history is against him, Higgin's history over the last 18 months is rather favourable making the semi-finals since last season's China Open. I'd like to think that Higgins can make it to the quarter finals with an air of comfort, in saying that though, Hawkins and King/Davis will be testing. But as the original poster did say, I think another Robertson/Higgins encounter is awaiting.

Comment

ill be betting on robbo each way again this year, came so close to getting me some money last year reckon he will go all the way if he gets past higgins.
          New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

Originally Posted by Forman View Post
            ill be betting on robbo each way again this year, came so close to getting me some money last year reckon he will go all the way if he gets past higgins.

I,ve put a few bucks on Robbo and Williams . William,s got a tough draw but if he plays well like he did in the masters and gets past Ronnie then you never know .

Really fancy Robbo this year though .

Comment

Hope to see both of them(Robo and Williams) in top form. They way they play against Ron in Masters were top class..
              Hope to see more of those..

Comment

The way John Higgins has played the last two seasons I can´t see Barry Hawkins beeing a thread to him. Hawkins is a solid player, but he doesn´t really match John Higgins.
                ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

My money is down. had a small flutter on Robertson, Ding and Williams.

10/1 10/1 18/1

Makes watching a match more interesting if anything.

Comment

Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post
                    My money is down. had a small flutter on Robertson, Ding and Williams.

10/1 10/1 18/1

Makes watching a match more interesting if anything.
                    10/1 for Robertson , I had him at 33/1 last year, i guess its no secret that hes a real chance anymore.

still gonna bet on him out of loyalty though
                    New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

Yeah I had him at 33's last year as well, bookmakers got wise I guess but he has won me more than a few bucks over the last few seasons so can't complain. I usually have a fiver on an outsider in these events it pays off on occasion (thank-you Ricky Walden) but I cant see anyone wining it outside of the usual favorites. The odds on all of them are a bit bad this year (maybe I should change bookmakers).

I really think Robertson has a chance this year but have thought that for a few years now. I went for Ding on form and Williams on sentiment; although, he too has shown signs that he is on his way back so you never know, its ten years since his last one and I like numerically freaky stuff like that. :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by 1lawyer View Post
                        I went for Ding on form and Williams on sentiment; although, he too has shown signs that he is on his way back so you never know, its ten years since his last one and I like numerically freaky stuff like that. :snooker:
                        It's actually seven years. Still a "pretty" number though.

Comment

Working...
                        X