Ssb - lee doyle resigns from wpbsa board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - lee doyle resigns from wpbsa board

Lee Doyle, the chairman of 110sport, has today resigned from the WPBSA board and declared his opposition to its chairman, Barry Hearn, and his future plans for the sport in a move which will precipitate (yet another) bitter battle for control of the sport.

He said: "I feel that my current position as a Director on the Board of the WPBSA is now untenable given that I am completely opposed to the proposals the Chairman, Barry Hearn, has laid out whereby the controlling rights in the Company are handed over to him.

“I do understand what Barry is trying to achieve in snooker and we have discussed this at considerable length. But on this one we agree to disagree.

“Barry has always run his own business and made his own decisions. However, I feel extremely uncomfortable where from my perspective decisions are being taken on contracts without me being consulted as a Board member.

“I do wish some of the players would look at these proposals from the business angle and see the bigger picture and the implications going forward for the game, rather than turning everything in to some kind of popularity contest between those they like and those they don’t want to listen to.”

I have no inside knowledge of the way the WPBSA board works under Hearn.

But I do know that 110sport were the leading cheerleaders of the Altium bid eight years, which bore many similarities to what Hearn is proposing now.

Ironically - or perhaps not - many of those against Altium are now for Hearn.

And so the self-interested, factional world of snooker turns once again.

Doyle's resignation and opposition to Hearn means the bright new future - announced only a fortnight ago - could already be dead in the water, and with it the new tournaments and broadcasting contracts that came with them.

That said, apathy may well yet be the winner. I understand only a handful of players have contacted Hearn since his letter went out, even though he supplied his mobile number and email address.

How many of them will turn up to the May 5 meeting to hear him out rather than rely on 'managers' to decide what's best for them?

Doyle, who manages a large stable of players, neglects to put forward an alternative to the Hearn plan. Perhaps he thinks the way the sport has been run for the last decade is the way things should continue.

However, I understand an alternative proposal is being put together by the very board members who the players rejected just four months ago.

The way things are going, though, the sport will have no credibility left regardless of who is in charge.

More...

This is a case where Ferret should make an exception to the forum rules and allow swearing ... that's all I'll say!
    Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
    http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Oh dear God!! How can people who have been so ineffective in taking the game forward for so many years and have no alternative to offer do this to snooker!! Lovers of the game they are not!!
      Hope Barry Hearn has been able to change something as regards the voting procedure!! And I hope he stays for the fight and doesn't think "well you deserve each other"" and walk away!!

Comment

Pipped to the post yet again!

On arising thismorning at around 9am I had a email in my inbox informing me of this but with no official press release from World Snooker and the lack of communications between 110 and TSF (They simply do not answer my emails) I though it best to pass this info onto Clive Everton for him to contact Lee Doyle in person so we could share the story but looks like Dave got tipped off too

Any way I am more concerned about China now or events in China because how I understand it is that 110Sport are the in-between man if you like for The Chinese Billiard and Snooker Association and The WPBSA, 110Sport have an office in China and The WPBSA do not.

So will this lead to break away events by 110Sport but more importantly will this lead to 110Sport players not participating in WPBSA events in China, well time will only see.

Still waiting on an official press release from World Snooker on this but don't hold your breath for a indepth analysts about how this is going to effect the running of anything which 110Sport have been commanded to do in the past, remember the board may have changed but the monkeys that turn the wheels are still the same.

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
          This is a case where Ferret should make an exception to the forum rules and allow swearing ... that's all I'll say!
          couldnt have said it better myself

im going to spell it out clear for everyone to understand.

if the players vote no to hearn now then snooker in the sh*t with more of the same egomaniacs ripping the sport to shreads over another decade.

Comment

Don't tell me this will actually lead to the whole thing falling through....

Comment

Originally Posted by visionaire View Post
              Don't tell me this will actually lead to the whole thing falling through....
              the players will be in turmoil over this ....dont know where to go what to do..

if they vote no then god help them.

Comment

Guys like Doyle and Hearn are typically "winner takes all"-type chaps.
                Controlling interest or "Not interested".
                Sensing a weakness in the ranks of voting members, Doyle fires off this press report to create an "OMFG!""What if" fear.
                Once everyone is wringing their hands and gnashing their teeth sufficiently,
                he removes his self-created uncertainty by slapping down a just-in-the-nick-of-time counter-proposal.

It has been known to work.

=o\

Noel
                Last edited by noel; 12 April 2010, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Good grief:snooker:

Comment

One thing that struck me as odd last week at the official press conference for the start of the world snooker championships was Barry Hearns comments regarding streaming form The Academy! he said that the streaming would he handled by World Snooker and not 110Sport, bit strange as Lee was on the board and has all the equipment to do this!

Podcast from last week will be on the site tomorrow for you to hear the whole conversation.

• Pat Mooney gets World Series and The SPA merged with The WPBSA
                    • Brandon Parker gets his events merged and in-conjunction with The World Series
                    • Lee Doyle gets nothing, probably should of seen this one coming a mile off.

Comment

lets just hope this means that an alternative viable plan who is also put on the table including as many events as Barry's calendar.

If not then the players need to ignore the fear that Doyle is trying to create and go with Barry but do they have the balls!?

Comment

Ssb - doyle resignation: Barry hearn statement

WPBSA chairman Barry Hearn has issued the following statement in the wake of Lee Doyle's resignation from the board:

"I welcome Lee’s decision to resign as a Director of WPBSA.

"As a manager of players and promoter of rival events in important territories like China, Lee’s position as a Board Director, where confidential information becomes available to effectively a competitor, has become untenable.

"He may well be opposed to my plan to reinvigorate snooker for the benefit of all players and I therefore totally understand his reasons for resigning.

"I’m glad to say that the remaining Board Members, Steve Davis, Brandon Parker and Pat Mooney are, like me, totally committed in supporting these new proposals for taking the game forward and look forward to discussing them with the Players at the meeting planned for 5th May."

More...

Comment

How can they?? when a lot of players are managed by 110??
                          It is an absolute disgrace the way the vultures circle - and the only concern they have is for their own self interest - just hopes that doesn't happen with regard to SPA, Pat Mooney and Brandon Parker.

Comment

Originally Posted by goldengirl View Post
                            How can they?? when a lot of players are managed by 110??
                            Do you think that they will force their players to vote the way that the 110 management want?

Comment

I cant believe Lee Doyle is walking away just five days before the worlrds . Even if he disagrees withe Hearn,s proposals 100 % then adleast wait until after this tournament and then voice his concerns with Hearn and sit around the table to try and reach some common ground .

We dont know what is going on behind closed doors and how the players are feeling or siding with Hearn or Doyle , but for the goodness and future of the game they need to start talking before it,s too late and the damage is permanent .

Come on guys there,s a lot at stake here talk and sort it out .
                              Last edited by hotpot; 12 April 2010, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X