Ssb - here's to the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - here's to the future

Maybe, just maybe, snooker’s years of self-destructive internecine infighting is finally at an end.

Barry Hearn has earned a mandate to bring his unique brand of enthusiasm and business nous to snooker.

He asked the players for their backing and they have given it. Let’s not kid ourselves, the sport is still divided pretty sharply but Hearn now deserves support. It is in everyone’s interests that he succeeds.

I agree with Stephen Hendry, who said last week: “Whoever comes out the winner at the other end, there should be a shaking of hands and none of the acrimony that has belittled snooker for so long.”

Hopefully Hendry can persuade others to abide by this commitment.

What was interesting about the campaign against Hearn – which mainly consisted of a series of anonymous email smears – was that nobody, not one person, questioned his ability to do the job.

They couldn’t because his record speaks for itself. He has been putting money into snooker since before any of the 96 players currently on the professional circuit were making a living from it.

Many disagree with the terms of his plan, taking a 51% share in World Snooker Limited, but Hearn did not want to leave himself at the mercy of various interest groups within the sport threatening to vote him out every six months.

Can he deliver? We all hope so. He will certainly now throw himself into the job.

I don’t agree with all of his proposals. Snooker should not be cheapened but its image clearly needs to change and we need to try new things...even if they don’t work.

Hearn will lead from the front but for all his cheery, down-to-earth bonhomie he is, underneath, tough as old boots and will expect the players to play their full part.

Enough of the past. It’s littered with missed opportunities, wrong turns and expensive, self indulgent arguments that have taken the sport nowhere but backwards.

Here’s to the future. May the great game of snooker rise again.

More...

Stephen Hendry wanted change to snooker he has got that change now its up to him and others to make it work for the likes of Luca Brecel to take the sport forward in the future and prosper from it.

i know for a fact had JD got the backing id want him to succeed just as much as i want barry 2. for to long this sport has been stagnating going nowhere fast with players that have their own interest at heart and not the sport when it came to voting now thats about to change for the better whether BH or JD won the rights.

this sport has to be the winner and today is the start of giving snooker a fighting chance to do that.

Comment

I hope that everyone gets behind Hearn now and get snooker back to where it was in the 80's and 90's.

Was it true that the sitting board members were allowed to vote?

Comment

Excellent post!

Comment

Originally Posted by screw-back View Post
          I hope that everyone gets behind Hearn now and get snooker back to where it was in the 80's and 90's.

Was it true that the sitting board members were allowed to vote?
          the vote was 35-29 im guessing every top 64 player who had a vote voted so i doubt nobody apart from the players voted.

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
            the vote was 35-29 im guessing every top 64 player who had a vote voted so i doubt nobody apart from the players voted.
            I think there were 72 players votes availble, plus 4 directors who all voted. So it would appear that 12 players didn't vote at all

Comment

need i say more why players voting was waste of time some dont know a good thing if it slaped their face and others cant be assed.

now that will not be a concern of theirs. sorry but i think thank god for that.

Comment

I think this was probably the highest ever % of players taking up their vote on their sport, just a thought but maybe some of the players entitled to vote (members of top 64 in the past 2 seasons) have retired, John Parrott springs to mind, but there may be others relegated from the main tour who have no intention of trying to qualify again.

Comment

Working...
                X