Ssb - alex higgins dies: Clive everton looks back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - alex higgins dies: Clive everton looks back

Clive Everton reported on Alex Higgins's 1972 world title triumph and all the highs and lows that followed.

Here is his obituary of Higgins, as printed in The Observer.

More...

Great article from Clive. I hope he lives forever!

Comment

Awesome obituary by Clive....
      Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

Clive Everton was on BBC News 24 earlier this morning, sharing his thoughts on the great man..
        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Brilliant article.

Maybe even Alex himself would have been happy with that.
          "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g View Post
            Brilliant article.

Maybe even Alex himself would have been happy with that.
            Totally agree brilliant article another great sharing his thoughts on a great.

Comment

A brilliant article from Clive Everton.

I'm sure everyone in Snooker will sadly miss Alex

Comment

The greatest snooker writer at his best. Indeed Alex would have been quite proud of that.

Comment

The article / obituary from Clive Everton , is a powerful piece,and highlights perfectly Higgins career and fall from grace .

In my opinion Higgins career never recovered, from being rejected by the Matchroom stable, and the financial security that would have granted him .

HE ended up with poor managers who made poor financial decisions , a person with his distructive personality ,needed the security of a proper organisation. If he would have been allowed within that group, he may well have sorted himself out and won further titles , as he always felt he put the game where it was, and he was not reaping the full commercial benefits .

His life was a mirror image of George Best even the same birthplace .

As a player sometimes genius ,[that break did for Jimmy White ], as a person flawed . His prime long forgotten to today's generation . His style a one off. his full potential not realised ,thus only the second best Higgins to play the game .

finally
                  I look forward to the film starring Martin Sheen .

Comment

Not sure about Martin Sheen, John Hurt would be more ideal to play such a role.

As said already, great article from Clive Everton..

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

film

not many people know but a film script already exists about the 1980 world final between alex and cliff, it also charts the sas siege as well and the events of that evening. Its owned by Cliff and we were talking this year about getting it off the ground and trying to find some independent film makers and funding who may be interested in it. one thing for sure is the casting for the role of alex would be tough for any actor!

Comment

Well Hurt has had many demanding roles during a long career in film, he was once seriously considered to play the part of Alex Higgins in a biopic on Alex..

I think he is one of the few actors who could pull it off..
                        Last edited by spike; 25 July 2010, 08:00 PM.

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I was referring to Martin Sheen as he has played just about everybody recently , as a trained actor , Higgins would actually be quite easy , lots of mannerisms . [ virgo but subtle ] the accent may need working on . as for John Hurt ....didn't he once play somebody who was a genius at potting the brown !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X