Ssb - our man in tehran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - our man in tehran

Snooker has grown in popularity across the globe in recent years, particularly in the Far East and Europe.

Now Iran can be added to the list, however unlikely that may seem.

It is a country beset with controversy, over disputed elections, its nuclear programme and the outspoken comments of its president, Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

But as with any country, the population is made up of ordinary people with the same concerns and interests as the rest of the planet.

And for a large number of Iranians, that includes snooker.

There are approximately 1,000 clubs in Iran and 100 in Tehran alone.

Now their budding snooker stars have a chance to improve significantly after landing a coach with bags of experience at the top level.

David Roe, 45, is a former world no.13 who played on the professional circuit from 1986 until he was relegated at the end of last season.

Still in love with the game, he has left Derby and headed to Tehran to pursue a new challenge.

"I heard through Peter Gilchrist [the Singapore national coach] that Iran was looking for a coach and he put me in touch with Kamran Shala, who works for the snooker federation here," Roe told snookersceneblog.

"After the very long and difficult process of getting a visa, which took two months, I arrived here in early September.

"The standard of the main three man team is very good. Soheil Vahedi is the best player in Iran at the moment but there is a 15 year-old called Hussein Vafaei who is great to watch. He pots balls from anywhere. There's also a 19 year-old, Ehsan Heydarnejad, who is talented.

"The only downside for the players at the moment is that they have very little match experience as there are not many tournaments in Iran right now, just four a year.

"The federation president, Hashern Eskandari, is a friendly, enthusiastic man and I've impressed on him the need for more tournaments. It's the only way these players will make the step up to the next level.

"But the standard is already pretty high. I played a lad of 14 the other day and he had a century. He cues a bit like Ding and is another one to watch."

Vahedi, 22, was a semi-finalist in the 2008 IBSF World Amateur Championship and runner-up in last year's World Under 21 Championship.

Iran is gaining more experience in international events and are now looking at sending their best players to the UK to practise against the best.

There are some women players but Roe is not allowed to coach them.

But television coverage does bring the professional game into Iranian homes and there is one figure who has done more than any other to send interest in snooker rocketing.

"All any of the players talk about is Ronnie O'Sullivan. They love him," Roe said.

"In the hotel where I'm staying there was a pro football team from Addis Ababa and as soon as they heard I was connected with snooker, all they wanted to ask me about was Ronnie.

"I took a two hour plane ride to a snooker club north of Iran and there were posters of Ronnie everywhere. There weren't any of any other player.

"Many of the players don't use the rest. They try to play left-handed because they want to copy Ronnie."

Roe was understandably nervous about such a leap into the unknown but is enjoying life in Iran.

"It's a beautiful country and the people are so friendly," he said.

"Tehran is amazing with mountains everywhere. It will have snow here in a few months and has the fifth highest ski resort in the world.

"People are always asking me about Man United. When I say I'm a Derby County fan they think I'm mad. I have to mention Brian Clough just to make Derby seem interesting."

Derby to Tehran may seem an unlikely step to take but the unifying currency is snooker.

"They love the game here and if I can help them improve it will be rewarding," Roe said.

More...

I think if O'sullivan ever entered Iran he would probably be lynched haha

Was suprised to hear how many Snooker clubs they have there, especially in Tehran. Will also be intresting to see if any Iranians will breach the top 64 in the next decade.
    http://MaximumSnooker.com - latest news with Maximum Snooker

Comment

Nice story and good luck David and your team in the IBSF's.
      http://frameball.com:snooker:

Comment

Khomenei and his ugly face is ever present in Iran, just like Stalin and Lenin portraits were in Soviet.

I would think twice before working for that rotten state.

Comment

Yet another people to deserve better leadership...
          It's always a matter of patience and courage.

The question is in what dosage.
          Winner of the 2009 UK Championship Lucky Dip
          Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest

Comment

Originally Posted by hegeland View Post
            Khomenei and his ugly face is ever present in Iran, just like Stalin and Lenin portraits were in Soviet.

I would think twice before working for that rotten state.
            Iran is a normal country, just made look bad by western propaganda machine. Same as Serbia, N.Korea, Venezuela, Iraq and many other.

Comment

Now, I know this is not really the forum for political discussions, but I feel I should react to some of the comments.

@hegeland
              While I understand where you're coming from, I think calling Iran a "rotten state" is going a bit too far, especially since you're a moderator.

Iran is a normal country, just made look bad by western propaganda machine. Same as Serbia, N.Korea, Venezuela, Iraq and many other.
              North Korea a normal country just made look bad by western propaganda? Really?

Comment

Originally Posted by rivercard View Post
                Now, I know this is not really the forum for political discussions, but I feel I should react to some of the comments.

@hegeland
                While I understand where you're coming from, I think calling Iran a "rotten state" is going a bit too far, especially since you're a moderator.

North Korea a normal country just made look bad by western propaganda? Really?
                I very much regret posting the same post on the blog website, since I don't like double-posting myself. But I certainly don't regret my opinion about Iran. I'm no expert, but I know people from there and I know the situation pretty well. And I think there is nothing about the state that isn't rotten. By state I am of course not talking about the people, culture, religion, climate or whatever.

The day my moderator "job" restrics me from speaking my mind about a subject (within the house rules of course), I'll quit in a heartbeat.

It's not a political forum, but just like when WSA got involved in China, or other shady businesses, there are issues that have to be addressed IMO.

Comment

Originally Posted by matoski View Post
                  I agree there are some similarities to North Korea, but if you states that North Korea is a normal county than you are either joking or just being provokative.

Comment

How do you expect N.Korea to look like, when it's surrounded by hostile armies, blocked by hostile navy ships, and attacked and divided for no reason in the 1950's? They are just defending themselves, and don't want to serve as a starting point for the future invasion of China, or the far eastern parts of Russia.

Comment

Originally Posted by matoski View Post
                      How do you expect N.Korea to look like, when it's surrounded by hostile armies, blocked by hostile navy ships, and attacked and divided for no reason in the 1950's? They are just defending themselves, and don't want to serve as a starting point for the future invasion of China, or the far eastern parts of Russia.
                      I hope this is a wind up! North Korea is a total basket case, rotten to the core.
                      As for your history lesson, actually they invaded South Korea and then the Americans pushed them back into North Korea. They weren't attacked or divided. They were the aggressor.
                      http://frameball.com:snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by hegeland View Post
                        I very much regret posting the same post on the blog website, since I don't like double-posting myself. But I certainly don't regret my opinion about Iran. I'm no expert, but I know people from there and I know the situation pretty well. And I think there is nothing about the state that isn't rotten. By state I am of course not talking about the people, culture, religion, climate or whatever.

The day my moderator "job" restrics me from speaking my mind about a subject (within the house rules of course), I'll quit in a heartbeat.

It's not a political forum, but just like when WSA got involved in China, or other shady businesses, there are issues that have to be addressed IMO.
                        I thought you didn't mean it that way, but your initial post could be misinterpreted.
                        There's also no need to regret opinions, just the way/place one expresses them.

Comment

Maybe they can't pot but surely they can ref > http://www.turkishpress.com/news.asp?id=181738
                          Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest

Comment

Quite obviously our and the official Iranian views do not concur:

'There are some women players but Roe is not allowed to coach them.'

And then:

'"Women in Iran have progressed by leaps and bounds and it's a misconception that women are pushed back in our society" [quoted by Mignon's linked article in Turkish press].

In my opinion one who deals with dictatorships at face value is walking on a razor's edge. Of course you would want to help the people, but what about the stabilizing effect your work will have on the (dubious) regimes the people there have been forced to live with?

As much as I wish all snooker players in Iran the best, I hope they throw over the archaic women/peace-hostile mullah government there.
                            Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

Is this about David Roe? > http://www.presstv.ir/detail/147235.html

British head coach of Iran's National Snooker Team David John has embraced Islam during an official ceremony held in the capital city of Tehran.

Chairman of Iran's Physical Education Organization Ali Saeedlou and the Head of the Friday Prayer Leaders' Policymaking Council Reza Taqavi attended a ceremony on Monday to congratulate John on his new faith.

John, who changed his name to Davoud (the Islamic pronunciation of David), said he decided to convert to Islam after he came to Iran and visited the shrine of the 8th Shia Imam in the city of Mashhad.

"I was very excited to visit Mashhad," he said after the ceremony.

"I used to be a coach in Dubai, Qatar and Bahrain for several years and I was familiar with Islam, but it was the Iranian culture and the holy shrine of Imam Reza which encouraged me to embrace Islam."

Saeedlou promised to send John on his first Hajj pilgrimage and Taqavi offered him a number of books on Islam as well as a Holy Quran with English translation.

Comment

Working...
                              X