Ssb - murphy: O'sullivan 'pathetic, unprofessional, disrespectful'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - murphy: O'sullivan 'pathetic, unprofessional, disrespectful'

Shaun Murphy has labelled Ronnie O'Sullivan's behaviour at the World Open last month as 'pathetic,' 'unprofessional' and 'disrespectful.'

In an exclusive interview with The Sun's Andy Dillon, Murphy also said he was "tired of all this 'Ronnie's Ronnie' stuff. I don't subscribe to it, that he should be allowed to get away with it."

O'Sullivan made a public point of protesting about the scrapping of the maximum bonus prize on his way to his 147 against Mark King in Glasgow.

He shook hands with King after potting the pink and was instructed by the referee, Jan Verhaas, to then pot the black 'for the fans.'

O'Sullivan immediately went on television to blast the axing of the bonus prize, although he later backtracked claiming his behaviour had nothing to do with money.

Murphy, watching at home, was not impressed. He told The Sun: "I thought it was pathetic, unprofessional. It was disrespectful to the public who had paid to come and watch him play.

"Four thousand pounds is a lot of money to a lot of people. It was bad taste."

Murphy, who plays O'Sullivan in the Premier League at Brentwood on Thursday night, added: "I'm a bit tired of all this 'Ronnie's Ronnie' stuff. I don't subscribe to it, that he should be allowed to get away with it.

"There's no doubt Ronnie is the biggest draw in snooker and he is the person everyone flocks to watch. Snooker is better with Ronnie than without. He creates a buzz and I enjoy playing him.

"We play in the Premier League this week. As far as the players are concerned he is the benchmark even though he is not no.1. But from a bloke's perspective, I watched what he did on TV and didn't like it.

"Some of my mates thought it was quite funny when I told them but for the people who saw it, it was quite offensive."

Good on Shaun for speaking his mind instead of hiding behind niceties.

However, I think he has gone overboard here. At the time I said I thought O'Sullivan's behaviour was crass - which it was - but as with most of his antics although it may have harmed his reputation with some, it did not damage snooker's. If anything it enhanced interest in the tournament.

As I also said at the time, the publicity he brings the sport cannot be overestimated. Witness the story I wrote about David Roe in Iran: Ronnie is the only player there are interested in emulating out there, and that goes for many other places too.

The shame was that the controversy detracted from what was, by any standards, a brilliant break.

But it is true that Murphy is only articulating in public what many players believe in private.

A number of them do feel that O'Sullivan can basically get away with anything.

In some regards this could be through jealousy at his talent but there is also a feeling that he believes himself to be above the game.

I actually believe O'Sullivan enjoys ruffling a few feathers and the attention it brings him. I hope he continues his maverick ways for many years to come because they've kept a great many people entertained even if they have also brought him a vitrolic stream of abuse from his detractors.

No doubt this story will generate much more frothing at the mouth. In truth, though, it's the bread and butter of many sports - football and boxing in particular - where rivalries are conducted in the pages of tabloid newspapers.

It's all good fun, really. I doubt O'Sullivan cares what Murphy thinks about him and I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

You can read The Sun story here.

More...

ferret: you post has been removed, I suggest you read the forum rules.

Infraction given
    Last edited by ferret; 6 October 2010, 09:20 AM.
    ...cue is our weapon, and we know how to kill...

Comment

I hope ronnie nuts him on tv on thursday for that....

Only joking....

Murphy, pffft, who cares what that #@#@# thinks.

I know which player i would rather see the back of.

People can slag ron off all they like but the way i see it is, we should be praising him, We won't see another ronnie again, he is something special, and players like him don't just grow on tree's...
      so just enjoy him while he's still playing , cos he won't be around forever...

ok, he is a bit of a boy at times but hey, i prefer that to the professional bs we usually get from others, that's part ron's makeup and i would'nt want him any other way, cos he just would'nt be the same would he...

I love it, can't wait to see ron to see what he's gonna do/say next, not to mention how mesmerising he is to watch, it don't do the sport no harm in what he says/does really, if anything it get's more people interested to watch to see what the "idiot" is gonna say next...

Long live Ronnie...

Murphy's Just jealous cos he's not as popular as ron...and never will be, most least popular player ain't he? no wonder he's bitching...

Now murphy go get back to your pies fella, can't ya hear them calling...:snooker:

Ron's just trying to create the modern day Alex higgins 'persona' with a toned down attitude and lifestyle like...

Comment

You Murphy haters are the ones that are pathetic get a grip of yourselves you utter cretins.

Im a massive Ronnie fan (My username shows this) but Murphy is, for me, the best cueist Ive seen play the game. Might sound like a bold statement but his action is textbook, absolutely 2nd to none. Not saying he is the best player just his cue action.

As for his comments so what Ronnie isnt bothered why should you be? And leave players personal lives out eh its just poor form.
        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
        Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Its not as if Ronnie's put the sport into disrepute. All he did was ask whether there was a maxi prize to give himself extra motivation. Not for the money, but for the fact he'd look a bit of a pratt if he didn't get it. He said so himself. But he did get it, and that's just pure class. Even the commentators were almost mocking him in disbelief at the start (which is understandable), but it all went kind of quiet after he hit about 80 as they realized he might pull it off. It was pure drama. Brilliant.

As for Murphy, of course he's entitled to his opinion, but no idea why he's so offended by this. I don't mind the guy but lets face it, If everyone was like Murphy the sport would be pretty dull.
          http://frameball.com:snooker:

Comment

After potting a red and black and asking about prize money for a 147 and talking with the ref, which other player could have then gone on to actually make the 147? None.

Murphy is such a saint .... lol. So much for a religious man!!
            :snooker:

Comment

Tipycal Shaun Murphy...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009...mit-loo-breaks
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOCoVQZSihc

Love snooker.:fat:

Comment

Originally Posted by MySockPuppet View Post
                It's all good fun, really. I doubt O'Sullivan cares what Murphy thinks about him and I'm sure the feeling is mutual.

You can read The Sun story here.

More...
                I doubt Ronnie is aware of Murphy's existence, let alone his hilarious interviews
                Winner of C77's Masters Fantasy Game 2010
                Joint-winner of montoya10/theasaris' Shanghai Masters Fantasy Game 2010

Comment

I think Shaun said what many (most?) of his playing colleagues probably think in private.

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                    I think Shaun said what many (most?) of his playing colleagues probably think in private.
                    Yeah, it's all good... At least Shaun had the guts to actually say it... It gives us something to talk about, Lol

Comment

Originally Posted by Vex 147 View Post
                      Same old fat grumpy jealous pig face Murphy! So typical, everyone sux and he's the saint!? So tired of his moaning over the quite few years... Someone give him a donut please so he'll shut up finally!
                      i find that comment offensive. thats nothing but abusive.
                      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
                        yes i think thats true but it might serve him better not to say it though!
                        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

I'm not a Murphy fan or Ronnie fan either but I think Murphy's comments are justified and I agree with him in that Ronnie isn't beyond criticism. If you want to make a statement put up a press conference, don't mess with fans that come to watch you. Also Ronnie said in the post-match that

"I don't think 147s are that difficult but everyone else thinks they are."

So why pay a lot of money for it then? What is his statement? "I want easy money!"? Personally I think they should pay something extra for it but this kind of statements has a little value.

Comment

Well, Ronnie is right when he says there must be a 147 bonus prize.

There was another claim like that years ago as there was 147.000 £ for maximum break in a tournament and peanuts the one after.

I don't agree with what was written in The Sun.
                            I'm bored with professional, respectful people.

I wasn't aware about that chalk docked frame : THAT is pathetic.

Comment

Originally Posted by tatannes View Post
                              Well, Ronnie is right when he says there must be a 147 bonus prize.

There was another claim like that years ago as there was 147.000 £ for maximum break in a tournament and peanuts the one after.

I don't agree with what was written in The Sun.
                              I'm bored with professional, respectful people.

I wasn't aware about that chalk docked frame : THAT is pathetic.
                              We've been over the 147 incident at the time it happened [there is an endless thread about it] I think Shaun is getting paid to stir it up again so we (TSF'ers) can have something to talk about

Comment

Working...
                              X