Ssb - remembering paul hunter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - remembering paul hunter

I still vividly remember learning of the death of Paul Hunter.

It was a Monday night. I was at home. After the call came I phoned the Press Association. Three minutes later it was on Sky News.

After an hour or so of writing for various people I turned off my computer and the sheer awfulness of it hit me.

To lose any 27 year-old to cancer is shocking but to lose such a nice young man who loved life so much is doubly heartbreaking.

There was no malice in Paul. He was just a laidback lad with a great talent for snooker, a sport he helped to keep in the headlines through his three Masters victories and general popularity.

His name should be kept alive. He died four years ago tomorrow and, through the efforts of his various friends, he is still associated with snooker tournaments being played after his death.

One such event is the Paul Hunter English Open, which begins at the Northern Snooker Centre in Paul’s native Leeds on Monday.

There is also the annual Paul Hunter Classic in Germany, now part of the European Players Tour Championship, and the Paul Hunter Foundation, which provides opportunities for young people who otherwise have few.

The WPBSA scholarship in his name has been scrapped after three years, largely because the World Snooker Academy, where the scholars spent a year, is no longer a practice base.

The governing body should still commemorate his life and career in some way.

Indeed, the game’s wider heritage should be guarded with care because although it is right to look to the future, snooker should not forget the names of the past who have helped make it the television attraction it is today.

More...

Hard to believe its 4 years now since Paul's passing..
    "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

4 years, wow, it is hard to believe, i hope hes happy and potting balls up there.
      Blown away

Comment

How the game misses him so much . Never forgotten .

Comment

Just talking about Paul last night, club owner said he was the nicest of the pros who have visited the club to do exhibitions, & so down to earth (yorkshire people always are )
          Sadly missed
          Last edited by jrc750; 8 October 2010, 12:43 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Yes a great player & a nice genuine down to earth bloke, sadly missed as a person & as a player, he brought alot of interest to the game & appealed to a wider audience.

I remember when Jimmy beat him in the players tournament, Paul couldn't have been happier if he'd won, he was just so pleased for Jimmy.

Real shame he never got to shine for longer, he played the game with a great attacking style & i'm sure he'd have been world champion.

Another great gone but not forgotten..........

Comment

I used to think of Legolas, the Elf, when Paul was playing.

I also remember that when Paul was playing, many players had incredible haircuts.
              It's the best way for me to keep smiling, although I miss him.

Comment

I didn't lose a family member to death as a teenager, so, death always stood away from my mind, only until we lost Paul..
                I miss his presence as a snooker player on the tour greatly, but losing such a bright young figure with great character was really devastating..

When I have enough time to do it, I should take care of my life more..
                All the way Mark J!!

I understand nothing from snooker. - Dedicated to jrc750!

Winner of the German Masters 2011 Lucky Dip

Comment

The tribute on the homepage is wonderful and i,m so glad that the forum has paid it .

Wonderfull Ferret really is .
                  Last edited by hotpot; 9 October 2010, 08:34 AM.

Comment

Thank you Ferrat for this tribut at Paul.
                    I miss him so much at the table.

Comment

Wonderful tribute Ferret. Thanks for this.

Hard to believe it's been four years. Time is flying. I remember the day he passed away, I was really shaken. Everybody was expecting it, unfortunately, but nevertheless, it was a shocker. Paul and I were of the same generation, roughly so hard to see a guy about your age going down.

Hope he's happy wherever he is now...

Paul with 'his' trophy....
                      Ton Praram III Series 1 | 58" 18.4oz 9.4mm | ash shaft + 4 splices of Brazilian Rosewood | Grand Cue medium tips

Comment

He was and still is the proof that there can be players of genius who also have integrity, and charisma, and fighting spirit, and kindness, and sense of humour, that is to say a wonderful personality.

RIP.

Thanks, Ferret, for the opportunity to post our tributes.
                        Winner of the 2009 UK Championship Lucky Dip
                        Co-winner of Spike’s 2009 UK Championship number of centuries prediction contest

Comment

Wonderful work Ferret..
                          On this day.. we always remember the world lost a great snooker player..

RIP..

Comment

Working...
                          X