Ssb - ding shows steel in sheffield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - ding shows steel in sheffield

Well done to Ding Junhui who has tonight beaten Jamie Jones 4-1 to win the fifth Players Tour Championship title of the season in Sheffield.

Ding is not eligible for the grand finals next March because he hasn’t played in the requisite number of PTC tournaments but will still gladly accept the £10,000 first prize and 2,000 ranking points

If my maths is correct – which it usually isn’t – then Ding leaps from eighth to fourth as a result of this victory, so his endeavours have been well rewarded.

There have now been seven winners on the PTC/EPTC series, four from the top 16.

The action continues next weekend with PTC6 but despite the understandable complaints last season that there weren’t enough tournaments to play in, there are already some groans that these new events aren’t of sufficient prestige.

Tough. That’s where snooker is right now and it’ll take time for things to turn round.

A better attitude would be to regard it as a chance to make money and stay sharp.

I can understand a few legends of snooker not being wildly enthused by the PTCs but the younger players and those down the rankings should be thankful for the opportunities.

Snooker fans had their already depleted reserves of patience tested still further over the weekend as they tried to keep up to date with the scores.

worldsnooker.com’s much vaunted new live scoring facility packed in early on and did not work again, although there was not a word of explanation as to why not.

Following the scores from afar reminded me of those ‘magic eye’ pictures the newspapers used to print back in the 1990s.

You remember: you’d stare solidly at them for 15 minutes until, finally, you got a headache.

Technology can, of course, malfunction, but the governing body’s scoring has failed so many times over the years that you wonder if an ancient curse has been placed upon it.

But here’s an idea in the meantime: there’s this new fangled thing called Twitter which apparently is vaguely popular. Barry Hearn’s PDC darts organisation posts results and updates on there all the time.

Is there a reason why World Snooker can’t do the same?

More...
Working...
X