Ssb - the bbc and snooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - the bbc and snooker

The BBC will screen snooker’s three biggest tournaments for the next three years as part of a new broadcast deal announced today.

The World Championship, UK Championship and Masters will continue on the BBC until at least 2014.

They have therefore dropped their fourth event, although those with long memories will recall they used to show five events, the World Team Cup as well as the Grand Prix.

The Welsh Open will still be screened by BBC Wales.

The BBC is having to make cuts and is also changing the nature of programming on BBC2 so it is good news they are sticking with snooker at all.

Terrestrial television is still the service most people receive. Many can’t get or afford satellite TV.

If snooker disappeared completely off terrestrial television then it would be further marginalised.

And snooker has much to thank the BBC for. It started showing action in the black and white days and when it launched the colour service at the end of the 1960s, Pot Black brought the game into living rooms the length and breadth of the UK, making household names of the players of the day.

Its popularity and the emergence of Alex Higgins persuaded producers to broadcast highlights of the World Championship in the 1970s before, in 1978, the decision was taken to undertake live daily coverage, which the BBC has done ever since.

Now, every ball is available somewhere on the digital platform and on the BBC website.

Snooker no longer delivers huge figures but it does well for the BBC and, in turn, their continued support of the sport is to be welcomed.

Many British people seem to think of snooker only in terms of the UK. In fact, there is more snooker on worldwide television now than there has ever been.

Eurosport broadcast all the major events across the continent, Chinese TV show much of them live and other territories take highlights.

Sky are dipping their toes in the water again and ITV4 broadcast the recent Power Snooker event, which hopefully hasn’t put them off the proper version of the game.

But the BBC and their financial support for snooker remains the key contract World Snooker holds and the game’s future is rosier for it having been renegotiated.

More...

World Open needs to be on free TV

I wasn't surprised when I heard the news - I was very disappointed because the World Open is a great tournament!
    I wasn't surprised because the World Open isn't the BBC's style - best of five frames, also it seemed too commercial for them.
    Eurosport cover it, but we need it on terrestrial, or even Freeview!
    ITV4 had the first Power Snooker event, so why not bid for the World Open - it will suit them, and also you wouldn't need to change channels!

I'm a Darts fan as well, and they have done a great job at that, so come on ITV4, rescue a tournament that deserves its place on free TV!

Comment

Originally Posted by tommy2k10 View Post
      I wasn't surprised when I heard the news - I was very disappointed because the World Open is a great tournament!
      I wasn't surprised because the World Open isn't the BBC's style - best of five frames, also it seemed too commercial for them.
      Eurosport cover it, but we need it on terrestrial, or even Freeview!
      ITV4 had the first Power Snooker event, so why not bid for the World Open - it will suit them, and also you wouldn't need to change channels!

I'm a Darts fan as well, and they have done a great job at that, so come on ITV4, rescue a tournament that deserves its place on free TV!
      To add to this:

Now all we'll get is just over 4 weeks of snooker a year on the BBC.
      We only get a week and a half of darts as well.
      It seems like the 'minority' sports are being swept aside!

Comment

It is good the bbc are still showing the major tournaments.Hopefully Itv or Sky show the world open

Comment

Well it's great that they're sticking with 3 major events, but it's also very disappointing that they've dropped the world open without really giving it a chance.

Snooker and the BBC have served each other well over the last few decades, the two have a symbiotic relationship which I'm sure still has great potential, but I find myself frustrated by their current half hearted attitude toward the game.

Look at the way they promote other sports, F1, Golf, and tennis for example. Constant ad campaigns on radio and TV for weeks leading up to the events. Then, all of these sports get near blanket coverage while they're on. How many times have we seen tennis on all 3 terrestrial TV channels (4 when we had 302) and two radio stations, all at the same time, it happens every year. We have golf commentary on the RADIO? And not just the sports extra channel, oh no, they replace the whole day's/week's schedule of their ONLY national DAB sport & news station with 8 hours a day of whispering. Same treatment for F1, simultaneous coverage across the TV and radio network.

Now compare this to the way they promote and cover snooker, we get the odd trailer here and there leading up to events, hardly a mention of it on radio, even during tournaments, and swappy choppy sloppy TV coverage, with frequent embarrassing technical gaffs which are usually the result of mere carelessness.

Last year the World Championship reached 18.7 million people across the UK, which is good for snooker, and the beeb, and it proves that people still love the game, but I'm sure that figure could be greatly improved upon if they were to show the same level of commitment that they do with some of their other sports. Snooker is after all a quintessentially British sport, surely part of our sporting heritage, and as such, I think it deserves a little more respect from the BBC than it's currently getting.

-
          The fast and the furious,
          The slow and labourious,
          All of us, glorious parts of the whole!

Comment

Great News for the 3 Major Events, Lets just Hope somebody comes along and shows the rest.

Comment

its a shame that we cant have all the raning events on freeview that would be great
              Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

Originally Posted by s.h442 View Post
                It is good the bbc are still showing the major tournaments.Hopefully Itv or Sky show the world open
                Eurosport hold the rights to it anyway; let's hope ITV pick it up

Comment

Any word yet on who's got the TV rights for the World Open from the one later this year?

Comment

Working...
                  X