Ssb - can jamie cope with king?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - can jamie cope with king?

Few players in the first round of the Ladbrokes Mobile Masters played better than Mark King, who was superb in knocking out defending champion Mark Selby.

King was certainly more impressive than his quarter-final opponent, Jamie Cope, who won a poor encounter against a shockingly below par Shaun Murphy last night.

So King should start favourite against Cope on form and the Romford man knows this is one of the best chances he has ever had to win a major title.

But this has been a strange tournament, probably the strangest Masters there has ever been in terms of the form players going out.

Only Neil Robertson survives from the top eight seeds and there are no former winners left in.

Ding Junhui, though, is a twice UK champion and current world no.4 so has to now count as the favourite to come through the top half.

His opponent this afternoon, Graeme Dott, is releasing an autobiography in March detailing his battle with depression, the loss of his manager and, of course, his world title victory in 2006.

Can Dotty write another chapter at Wembley Arena? Well, he certainly played well in defeating John Higgins in the opening round, only his third ever match win in the Masters.

Dott has the game and the tenacity to send Ding packing if the Chinese fails to hit top form.

Finally a word on Stephen Hendry, who turns 42 today.

It is distinctly possible that he won’t be in the top 16 next year but, if he is still playing, I see no reason not to give him a wildcard.

Not only has he won the title more than anyone else but he is still a huge name whose presence in a tournament enhances it.

Jimmy White, who won the Masters once, got several Wembley wildcards so Hendry should be afforded the same respect in the twilight of his career.

More...

Not sure I agree with the Hendry wildcard... I've always been against them, it's a competition for the top 16 players and not the 'has beens'... Hendry isn't exactly a 'has been' yet and is still capable of returning to the top 16 if he does drop out!!!

If hendry wants to play in anything based on his past success then maybe he should join the Legends Tour.
    Highest Break
    Practice: 136 (2005)
    Match: 134 (2006)
    In 2011: 94
    Centuries made: 50+

Comment

Originally Posted by thinsy View Post
      Not sure I agree with the Hendry wildcard... I've always been against them, it's a competition for the top 16 players and not the 'has beens'... Hendry isn't exactly a 'has been' yet and is still capable of returning to the top 16 if he does drop out!!!

If hendry wants to play in anything based on his past success then maybe he should join the Legends Tour.
      I agree. I actually think there's a good chance Hendry won't be dropping out of the top16, but if he does, that's just too bad for him. Only the best players in the world should be in the Masters, and the new rankings system now pretty much ensures they are.

Now, if they do award a wildcard, it should go to a player who would be the most competitive, but for some reason isn't already in the tournament. If that happens to be Hendry, fair enough, but he shouldn't get it by default. Just because mistakes were made with Jimmy White, it doesn't mean they should be repeated with other players.

On another note, how lovely it is that we have Jamie Cope in the QF. We can look forward to a great contest between the likes of David Hendon, the people at World Snooker, and others, about who can use the word "cope" more creatively in their titles.

Comment

Originally Posted by Odrl View Post
        On another note, how lovely it is that we have Jamie Cope in the QF. We can look forward to a great contest between the likes of David Hendon, the people at World Snooker, and others, about who can use the word "cope" more creatively in their titles.
        But if Jamie doesn't COPE There's still the chance that we could have a pretty good FU/KING final.
        Highest Break
        Practice: 136 (2005)
        Match: 134 (2006)
        In 2011: 94
        Centuries made: 50+

Comment

Originally Posted by MySockPuppet View Post
          Jimmy White, who won the Masters once, got several Wembley wildcards so Hendry should be afforded the same respect in the twilight of his career.

More...
          Jimmy white had the wild card mainly due to him being a crowd draw. I don't think Hendry has that ability to bring people along to watch. Also I don't think that because Hendry was winning everything 15 years ago that should mean he gets the wild card - It should be given to young talent or crowd pleasers.
          Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element

Comment

Originally Posted by thinsy View Post
            But if Jamie doesn't COPE There's still the chance that we could have a pretty good FU/KING final.
            Now that's what I call creative. Excellent stuff.

Comment

the masters no longer has a wilcard round just the top 16 so wont happen

the main issue with hendrys game is his break building (his biggest strength) 2 centurys all season is so unhendrylike people point out the pots hes missed in the masters this season those have always been his weakness hes was always a strong long potter and strong to middle pocket not half ball/3 quaterballs from the pink spot midrange
              Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

Would like to see King in the final)
                I would give a wildcard to Ken Doherty he can play well in the masters
                2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Working...
                X