Ssb - graeme dott's road to the top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - graeme dott's road to the top

Graeme Dott’s new autobiography “Frame of Mind” is rare for a snooker book in that it presents its subject as he actually is, not as he would like to be perceived.

The book is unmistakably Dott: forthright, to the point and devoid of self promoting embellishment.

It details his rise from a boyhood spent on the notorious Easterhouse estate in Glasgow to world champion and then the depression that came in the wake of the death of his long time manager, Alex Lambie.

Make no mistake, Dott came from humble beginnings. When he and his mother would leave their house she would turn and wave back towards it, even if it was empty, to deter the break-ins that were common in this socially deprived environment.

His family were a model of working class pride: they didn’t have much money but they worked hard, did the best for their kids and looked out for each other.

What they clearly instilled in Dott was that to get anywhere in life you had to work for it, and he threw himself into snooker, battling against various odds, including pneumonia, depression, a broken wrist and, of course, the other players.

Defying the odds seems to be the theme of his life and perhaps this explains why Dott has such a vast a range of things that annoy him, which veer from the understandable to the comical.

His contempt for the WPBSA board who tried to discipline him for having an opinion was well placed but quite why he is angered by TV commentators saying players have a cup of tea at the interval – which he claims never happens – I have no idea.

But in some ways it doesn’t matter because Dott has always had a me-against-the-world attitude and it has served him well. He seems fuelled by a desire to prove everyone wrong, and he did do when he became world champion.

His account of his depression and how he came out of it is moving and inspiring.

Comic relief is provided by vignettes such as his son’s pet guinea pig sitting on Dotty’s shoulder and urinating on him, or the time he proposed to his wife, Elaine, by ‘cooking’ her a microwaved meal.

Dott has a nice, self-deprecating style but he doesn’t hold back in his criticisms.

And on one group of people Dott could not be more trenchant: the press. He dislikes them and spends a whole chapter detailing the numerous ways they have done him down.

Writing as a journalist who has covered snooker through most of Dott’s professional career I would say some of this is true but much of it is imagined.

Like many players, Dott will have found himself misrepresented on the odd occasion, although in my experience this is usually done through incompetence or misunderstanding rather than as part of some grand conspiracy to bring a player down.

Dott comments that most journalists have “never held a snooker cue.” This may be true. There was one snooker correspondent of a national newspaper who didn’t know how much the yellow was worth.

But, just as journalists have never been players, Dott has never been a journalist and has no idea how the media works.

He certainly has no idea how hard it is to get snooker stories into a largely apathetic press, or how hard the committed band of journalists who cover the circuit work.

He criticises those who criticised the manner of his world final triumph over Peter Ebdon in 2006. “Much of what was written was vile,” he says. However, just a few pages later he himself describes the match as “dreadful” and “horrible.”

I would agree with him that he deserved more credit for becoming world champion. This achievement was not isolated to one match against Ebdon but the result of a lifetime of hard work, commitment and dedication.

I would argue with anyone who describes Graeme as an unworthy winner of the World Championship. The fact that he has appeared in two other Crucible finals is further testament to his talent and application.

At the end of the book, Dott says that he feels anyone who knows him will like him.

I would agree with that because I always have. He is an honest, decent player and person with integrity and the guts to speak his mind rather than hide behind platitudes.

It is entirely right that he has his say and his story is proof that sport offers a way out of unpromising beginnings.

In the book, Dott muses on Easterhouse today, with its crime and social problems. He must wonder what would have become of him had he not had snooker.

But he did and through his own endeavours he climbed to the top of the world.

More...

I can't wait to get my hands on the book! :snooker:

I hope Dotty wins another world title, I think he really deserves another one :snooker:
    Winner of C77's Masters Fantasy Game 2010
    Joint-winner of montoya10/theasaris' Shanghai Masters Fantasy Game 2010

Comment

Originally Posted by cue1 View Post
      I can't wait to get my hands on the book! :snooker:

I hope Dotty wins another world title, I think he really deserves another one :snooker:
      Although I am biased, it is a good read.
      "I tried to be patient, but it took too long"

Comment

I got the book last Friday. Haven't started it yet but looking forward reading it!

Comment

Good luck to him Dott's a fighter and i'd rather have him in my corner than most.
          Easy on the garlic....

Comment

He's a class act.

Comment

Look forward to reading it..
              "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I think Dott has had a tag of a bit of a grinder which in my opinion is totaaly unfair and not a reflection of the way he plays the game . He is very fluent when he,s in his stride , and is very underated .

There,s a difference between a grinder and a fighter . He is the latter but quite a fluent one who goes for his shots .

I like watching him play .

Comment

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post
                  I think Dott has had a tag of a bit of a grinder which in my opinion is totaaly unfair and not a reflection of the way he plays the game . He is very fluent when he,s in his stride , and is very underated .

There,s a difference between a grinder and a fighter . He is the latter but quite a fluent one who goes for his shots .

Totally agree.

players play the table if a situation dictate it players has to be versatile and Dott is a prime example

Comment

Originally Posted by snooky147 View Post
                    Although I am biased, it is a good read.
                    I'm look forward to reading it and I'll try to get my copy signed by Graeme :snooker:

Originally Posted by hotpot View Post

Totally agree! I believe he almost always plays the correct shot, he tries his best to make things happen even when he's not getting the run of the balls and is generally a very positive player on the table. :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by cue1 View Post
                      I'm look forward to reading it and I'll try to get my copy signed by Graeme :snooker:

Beat you to it, mine already is signed. Helps being related though lol
                      "I tried to be patient, but it took too long"

Comment

Cool It helps knowing someone in the family too, I guess

Comment

Dott's a class act and the so called grinder tag (if it still exists) is bull.
                          Its impossible to play fluent against Ebdon anyway isn't it
                          I guess its cos he just gets on with it, nothing flash but lethal all the same. Looking forward to it...anywhere to get a signed copy...website maybe?
                          http://frameball.com:snooker:

Comment

HELLO relative of the wee man say hello from to him from me!!!!!

Loved this book it felt like he was sitting talking to me as i read it. Like him it was brave and honest did not pull any punches in anyway.
                            Miles apart from Ronnies privillaged background and hard to read sometimes it was so gritty in fact it made me cry a bit.
                            Got the feeling from reading it that if you ever do him wrong he won't! forget it. And some of it was certainly get back time but if thats the way he felt well good for him. He certainly did not miss and hit the wall as far as his old teacher was concerned LOL.
                            Hope he writes another one maybe if he wins another World he will!
                            Would recommend this book to all.

Comment

Any ways to get this book via internet?
                              2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                              2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Working...
                              X