Ssb - vintage hendry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - vintage hendry

Stephen Hendry was the star of the show on day one of the Bank of Beijing China Open, beating Mathew Stevens 5-0 in just 66 minutes.

Stevens has been in great form of late but Hendry limited him to just nine points during a performance reminiscent of his peak.

He began with a century - as he often seems to - but, this time, kept it going rather than immediately fizzling out.

Just as one swallow doesn't make a summer, so one excellent performance doesn't mean he is suddenly back to his best but it must have given him great heart.

Hendry has always performed well when his back is to the wall: 8-2 down to Mike Hallett in the 1991 Masters final, 14-8 down to Jimmy White in the 1992 world final and even 9-7 down to Zhang Anda at the Crucible last year.

Now, he knows he needs a good finish to the season to retain a place in the elite top 16. Maybe that will spur him on to end the campaign strongly.

Stephen Lee has not had the best draw for either of the last two tournaments of the season. He has John Higgins to look forward to at the Crucible and today faces Mark Williams, the defending champion, in Beijing.

Lee has played very well this season but Williams clearly has his mojo back. His victory over Ding Junhui in last year's China Open final was his first in a ranking tournament in four years. He has since won the German Masters and came within a whisker of landing the UK crown.

Joe Perry is one of those players well capable of causing an upset against Shaun Murphy, whose Twitter updates suggest he has found sleeping difficult in Beijing.

Similarly, Mark Davis could cause Stephen Maguire problems, particularly as Maguire's pre-tournament focus has been - happily - affected by the arrival of his third child.

More...

nobody ever has responded to pressure like hendry did in his prime and even now his form kicks in at the death of a match like against Zhang last year in the Worlds and Jimmy in the UK.

hes just not able to keep it going without that pressure but you cant keep doing that.

Comment

Come on hendry lets have the good ol days back.

Comment

Hope this is not a case of him peaking too soon before the WC.
        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Hows his cue action now, has he modified it further?
          "Am too good not to win this tournament" - Stephen Hendry

Comment

Originally Posted by Le Ball Sack View Post
            Hows his cue action now, has he modified it further?
            he looked very fluant yesterday my memory cant remember a time in the last 10 years where he sustained it for 5 frames with a interval.

yes hes played well in the last 10 years at times but normally he goes walkabout at some point in the match.

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
              Hope this is not a case of him peaking too soon before the WC.
              It's only one match. Your "peak" usually lasts longer than that!

Hendry played superb but let's be fair and note he was playing against a tired opponent. Stevens gave him more chances than others will...

Comment

Originally Posted by FOXMULDER View Post
                It's only one match. Your "peak" usually lasts longer than that!

Hendry played superb but let's be fair and note he was playing against a tired opponent. Stevens gave him more chances than others will...
                stevens was not tired and if he was hes a wimp and a fake.

its 2011 if he has got tired with the amount of work hes had over the last weeks then he has no hope its been nothing and this crying of tierdness is bull****.

Comment

well done hendry as any one have a link so I can watch it.

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                    stevens was not tired and if he was hes a wimp and a fake.

its 2011 if he has got tired with the amount of work hes had over the last weeks then he has no hope its been nothing and this crying of tierdness is bull****.
                    Easy tiger lol. Unfortunately I never see the match but weather stevens played bad or not hendry played great stuff which is good to see and good for the game.

Comment

Originally Posted by cazmac1 View Post
                      well done hendry as any one have a link so I can watch it.
                      I saw there were a couple of frames on Youtube last night, search for chinese open snooker 2011
                      ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                      "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Let´s hope he gets a good run now, as he is still in a desperate need for ranking points in order to stay inside top 16.
                        ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                        "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Thanks rane

Comment

Originally Posted by tornado taylor View Post
                            Easy tiger lol. Unfortunately I never see the match but weather stevens played bad or not hendry played great stuff which is good to see and good for the game.
                            but seriously you can understand the tired argument in a long match it catching up with him but come on he played 8 days snooker with some success in minor events if that dont get you going nothing will.

theres nothing better than winning to relieve tieredness he just never had a chance against hendry he had in the championship league.

Comment

His technique looks a lot better than it was, i've noticed it is a lot more fluid and it does seem straighter than the past 5-6 years. I have a feeling he could do very well at the world championships this year, he has the bottle and now he has the confidence it seems. Worth a tenner on him to win i reckon.
                              I love the game of snooker :) (even though my mates think that its just a load of balls :D )

Comment

Working...
                              X