Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - higgins does it again

Well, what can you say?

John Higgins has once again proved his strength of character to win a fourth world title following an engrossing World Championship final in which he repelled the challenge of the spirited Judd Trump 18-15.

Higgins got the snooker he needed in what proved to be the concluding frame and then spectacularly doubled the pink before slotting home the black for victory.

It comes a year after his world was sent into turmoil by damaging tabloid newspaper accusations surrounding match fixing.

The nuances of the case have escaped many who would rather think the worst of someone successful – and thus end that success – than the facts.

But Higgins has grabbed the second chance he was granted with both hands. It says a lot about him that he could win his first tournament back from suspension and then, at the UK Championship, his first TV event too.

To land the world title for a fourth time propels him into the snooker stratosphere. In the modern era only Stephen Hendry, Steve Davis and Ray Reardon can claim more world titles and the effort and application he displayed at the Crucible this year was formidable.

Credit, though, must go to Trump for the way he played. This exciting, entertaining, personable player gained many supporters throughout the event and is clearly set to be the game’s next superstar.

The final turned on a single shot this afternoon. Leading 12-9, Trump went for a very difficult thin blue using the rest.

Had it gone in it should have been 13-9. But he missed and it was 12-10.

There has been much discussion as to whether this was the ‘right’ shot. I wouldn’t criticise Judd because the way he played got him to within touching distance of the title.

What is indisputable, though, is that Higgins, who prior to this had been on the ropes and struggling, was given a huge injection of confidence when he won that frame and did not lose another in the afternoon session.

I thought Trump endured a poor run of the ball overall, particularly when going into the reds, but he will be back and the bad news for the rest is that he can only improve.

But Higgins and the way he plays the game is the standard everyone else must aspire to. He has played the best snooker of the season and brings the curtain down on a campaign in which the sport has been reinvigorated.

It was my pleasure to have spent time with his father, John senior, backstage at tournaments enjoying the odd drink and laugh.

He would have been proud of his boy for the way he applied himself at the Crucible this year.

It was a great performance in a great match that brings a great season to a close.

More...

Originally Posted by MySockPuppet View Post
    The nuances of the case have escaped many who would rather think the worst of someone successful – and thus end that success – than the facts.
    Well said. NoTW's justification for entrapping John was based on previous events which only proved to me that his actions were a bit silly rather than corrupt.

He's not perfect, but it's hard to argue against him being the world's best.
    Tear up that manure-fed astroturf!

Comment

He only played well in the last session and took the trophy. But Trump was the true hero and the people's champion in my mind. He could have widened the gap a lot more during the first day of the final. He was too excited and over-confidence. He learnt the lesson for sure and will be much stronger next season.

Comment

There is no fear and hold back whatsoever in the dictionary of Trump's. He gives 100% in his game. I admire that.

Comment

Trump dare to do things that we all want to but dare not to. This is what hero is all about.

Comment

Still a sad day for snooker when a man was so obviously putting himself in a position whereby the opportunity to gain monies is holding our UK and World titles !!

Comment

Originally Posted by GAD63 View Post
              Still a sad day for snooker when a man was so obviously putting himself in a position whereby the opportunity to gain monies is holding our UK and World titles !!
              I think Higgins doesn't realise himself what damage he has done to snooker. He is going on as if nothing has happened.
              Of course we have to agree that beating Osullivan, Williams and Trump is quite a performance, so statistically he is the world champ of 2011.
              I saw that going differently in my mind

Comment

Originally Posted by WimfromGhent View Post
                I think Higgins doesn't realise himself what damage he has done to snooker. He is going on as if nothing has happened.
                Of course we have to agree that beating Osullivan, Williams and Trump is quite a performance, so statistically he is the world champ of 2011.
                How can an innocent man have caused damage?

Comment

Originally Posted by gem View Post
                  How can an innocent man have caused damage?
                  He wasn't innocent, at best he brought the game into disrepute. The game was dragged through the gutter on the day of last years world final through either his gross stupidity or lack of integrity. everyone has their own opinion as to which was the case but either way snooker did suffer & some important people such as potential sponsors will be forever put off by this...

Comment

Ronnie brings the game into disrepute everyday and no one complanis. More, people say it's good because he "gets people talking about the sport". It's exactly the same with Higgins.

For all I know: Higgins 4 - 3 Ronald. If people are angry Ronnie can't win a match you should probably stop watching snooker because clearly you can't appreciate anything coming from any other player.

Comment

We have found the replacement, haven't we?

Comment

Higgins isn't quite the winning machine Hendry once was, but overall he is the best player in the period of last few years. People forget that snooker is a very complex game with many many elements. It isn't only about straight cue action and ball potting. John's game may not be as attractive to watch like that of Ronnie or Judd or Mark Williams who make the game look like it is a walk in the park sometimes...too easy. Ronnie is a better break builder than anyone for sure, more fluent, but the very best as a complete player? Nah, I think not. When you combine all elements of the game, and I mean all of them, including the mental side which is the most important, then Higgins is untouchable.

Comment

Originally Posted by GAD63 View Post
                          Have to say I agree with you. Had the same incident involved a lesser known player there would have been a far greater punishment. Anyone remember Quinten Hann? I've never been a Higgins fan, but always admired his resolve and ability. But after seeing that video I don't think he should even be allowed to compete. A sad day for snooker in my opinion.
                          Cheers
                          Steve

Comment

Higgins is the master of the game, he is so well in calculations. He is so well trained to win matches.

Comment

Originally Posted by João View Post
                              Ronnie brings the game into disrepute everyday and no one complanis. More, people say it's good because he "gets people talking about the sport". It's exactly the same with Higgins.

For all I know: Higgins 4 - 3 Ronald. If people are angry Ronnie can't win a match you should probably stop watching snooker because clearly you can't appreciate anything coming from any other player.
                              Winning titles is one thing. Playing like Osullivan and Trump is what we - except you it seems - people want to see. You don't like great snooker, fine don't watch Osullivan and Trump then, I will.
                              I saw that going differently in my mind

Comment

Working...
                              X