Ssb - world snooker wildcards revealed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - world snooker wildcards revealed

World Snooker has confirmed it has awarded main tour wildcards to Luca Brecel, James Wattana, Lucky Vatnani and Yu Delu.

There will be 100 players on the professional circuit during the 2011/12 season.

Of these, the least controversial choice is Brecel, who won the European amateur title last year and would have been on the tour but for the fact that, at 15, he was too young.

Though relegated from the circuit, Wattana can still play to a high standard, as he proved by making the highest break of this year’s World Championship (in qualifying).

In his day he was a brilliant player, one of the best of the early 1990s. Wattana’s run to the final of his first professional event, the 1989 Asian Open in his native Bangkok, sparked a snooker boom in Thailand that lasted until he began to decline in the late 90s.

Thailand was the China of its day. During some seasons there were two ranking events staged there.

Wattana is still Thai snooker’s biggest name and his wildcard should ensure he plays in their World Cup team in Bangkok in July, something I’d imagine the organisers would be happy about.

Lucky Vatnani has lived up to his name, landing on the main tour without having to go through Q School.

I understand Pankaj Advani, the talented former IBSF world snooker and billiards champion, was offered a main tour wildcard but turned it down because he did not want to spend months on end in the UK.

Vatnani’s wildcard suggests that India is due to play a role in Barry Hearn’s future plans.

There was a story recently in an Indian newspaper – unconfirmed by World Snooker – that the governing body would be staging a ranking event in India during the coming season.

It’s not beyond the realms that this is where the World Open will end up.

Of course, it was in India where, according to legend, snooker was invented. There have been pro events there before and it is a huge market, ripe for tapping.

I’m not sure why Yu Delu was favoured over, for instance, Li Yang, who beat Ken Doherty and Graeme Dott in the China Open.

It may be that World Snooker gave the Chinese snooker authorities a wildcard and they awarded it to Yu, who has been a stalwart in the various ranking tournaments staged there over the years.

Wildcards have been dished out for many years. I think their worth is overstated. Ultimately, it is still up to the player to make it through qualifying, otherwise their profile remains pretty low and their value to the game as a whole isn’t particularly great.

It’s interesting that there will be four extra players on the circuit. The scare stories about Hearn before he took over centred on him cutting the tour. In fact, he has increased it.

But 100 players as opposed to 96 surely means there will have to be an extra round of qualifying.

More...

at least this means there aren't 4 players who've withdrawn from the tour.

will be interesting to see how the seedings work especially for the first few events

Comment

Originally Posted by snoopy2608 View Post
      at least this means there aren't 4 players who've withdrawn from the tour.

will be interesting to see how the seedings work especially for the first few events
      easy

the 4 winners in Q School 3 plays the 4 wild cards with the winners going on to play in the last 96.

Comment

I must admit I'm a bit baffled by Lucky Vatnani's wild-card. He has been around for a while, has played in the PIOS series as well, but never really delivered any results. Maybe after Advani's rejection Hearn wanted to give the wild-card to someone who surely wouldn't refuse it.
        On the other hand I'm happy for Wattana, he played really well in the second part of last season.

Comment

100 is a nice number but it means 4 players will have to play an extra round and thats kinda strange...
          2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
          2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Originally Posted by rivercard View Post
            I must admit I'm a bit baffled by Lucky Vatnani's wild-card. He has been around for a while, has played in the PIOS series as well, but never really delivered any results. Maybe after Advani's rejection Hearn wanted to give the wild-card to someone who surely wouldn't refuse it.
            On the other hand I'm happy for Wattana, he played really well in the second part of last season.
            Lucky Vatnani finished runner up to Advani in the Nationals so that might be the reason.
            My deep screw shot
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

Originally Posted by sunny3909 View Post
              Lucky Vatnani finished runner up to Advani in the Nationals so that might be the reason.
              I wasn't aware of that, that's probably the reason then. Do you know if he lives in India, or is he based in the UK?

Comment

Originally Posted by rivercard View Post
                I wasn't aware of that, that's probably the reason then. Do you know if he lives in India, or is he based in the UK?
                Lucky is from Hyderabad but has been in University in Sheffield - I think he's doing his Post-Grad now - so he divides his time between the two. With the number of events, training camps etc in India, he's had to do a lot of flying back and forward the past few seasons.
                I was in Hyderabad for the IBSF World Champs and Lucky was treated like a God there. There was live non stop daily coverage of the championships on one of India's sports channels and they got an average 15 millions viewers a day - coverage also extended into Thailand and China... and that was for an amateur event with no well known names in the event -- big potential in India for further development.
                Janie Watkins
                On Q Promotions / South West Snooker Academy
                All views are my own and in no way represent On Q or the Academy

Comment

Originally Posted by JanieWatkins View Post
                  Lucky is from Hyderabad but has been in University in Sheffield - I think he's doing his Post-Grad now - so he divides his time between the two. With the number of events, training camps etc in India, he's had to do a lot of flying back and forward the past few seasons.
                  I was in Hyderabad for the IBSF World Champs and Lucky was treated like a God there. There was live non stop daily coverage of the championships on one of India's sports channels and they got an average 15 millions viewers a day - coverage also extended into Thailand and China... and that was for an amateur event with no well known names in the event -- big potential in India for further development.
                  WOW Thats impressive

Comment

I think Steve Davis will be proved right when he said "I think we're creating a monster" in regards to worldwide snooker. I reckon the cuesports playing public have realised 9-ball and other various forms of pool can't hold a candle to snooker and are flocking to our game. I mean, which other event can generate as much fanaticism as the recent World Championships, it was bloody brilliant?!! It helps to have the two most populous countries on Earth on the way to becoming snooker mad and Trump etc are going to retire multi-multi-millionaires because of it.
                    Last edited by fateric; 18 May 2011, 08:28 AM.
                    Whoever said "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing" was an arsehole.

Comment

Good to see that Luca Brecel got a ticket, thats probably he redrew from q-school.

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                        easy

the 4 winners in Q School 3 plays the 4 wild cards with the winners going on to play in the last 96.
                        So there'll be a variation of that throughout the year with an extra smaller points allocation?

Comment

Originally Posted by trains View Post
                          So there'll be a variation of that throughout the year with an extra smaller points allocation?
                          the players ranked 93 to 100 will have a extra match to play so with cut off points and change of the rankings players has a insentive to avoid a extra match by getting inside the top 92 at each cut off point for seedings.

Comment

The best way to develop a sport is by expanding it globally,involving more countries.
                            India has got very good potential in snooker.
                            I can confirm that snooker is the most loved cuesport in India.
                            9ball pool comes a far second.
                            My deep screw shot
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

Comment

Working...
                            X