Ssb - three year deal for australian open

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - three year deal for australian open

The heavily trailed Australian Open has today been officially announced and will be held in Bendigo, Victoria.

This is great news. Even better news is that it is confirmed as an annual event until at least 2013.

There was, as I have written before, an Australian Open announced in 1989, the only snag being that it was played in Hong Kong. The WPBSA discovered that the promoter’s ‘business address’ was actually a bus shelter.

I have rather more faith in this new event.

Pedants will point out that it isn’t the first ranking tournament staged in Australia because the 1975 World Championship, held in Nunawading – also in Victoria – carried ranking points retrospectively.

But that’s hardly comparable. This is a new tournament and most welcome. It represents a genuine attempt by World Snooker to globalise the sport.

And it gets better. In a letter to the players, Barry Hearn has stated that: “we are in discussion for many more events around the world so watch this space” and that “Eastern Europe, Scandinavia, India, Canada etc are all on the agenda.”

Hearn adds that: “I believe a £10m prize fund per season is achievable.”

I hope the players – all the players – support the moves to make our game properly international.

It is the best way of guaranteeing its growth and ongoing success.

With regards to the new Australian tournament, I’m particularly pleased for Neil Robertson, whose world title triumph last year certainly played a major part in this tournament happening.

As you will know, his mother had never seen him play live as a professional before she flew to Sheffield for his Crucible final against Graeme Dott.

Now, his family and friends will surely turn up mob handed as Neil plays in his own country...and snooker takes another welcome step into the future.

More...

Originally Posted by MySockPuppet View Post
    There was, as I have written before, an Australian Open announced in 1989, the only snag being that it was played in Hong Kong. The WPBSA discovered that the promoter’s ‘business address’ was actually a bus shelter.
    The Bus Shelter was his 'Business address'. his home address was the Train Station just down the road.

Good to see Australia finally pulling our socks up.

Comment

you really cant make that up.

it just shows how badly managed snooker was LONG BEFORE Rodney Walker.

the set up was all wrong with the board working for the players with players running the game.in the 80s you hads the WPBSA Chairman a top 16 player and reaching Ranking final in 1986.

at last snooker has a focus where theres buisness people negotiating and the players play.

Comment

Hi Snooker Fans around the World does anyone know if the Australian Open in July 2011 will be televised

Also any video streaming it would be nice to watch on the Internet

Comment

Originally Posted by the montrealer View Post
          Hi Snooker Fans around the World does anyone know if the Australian Open in July 2011 will be televised

Also any video streaming it would be nice to watch on the Internet
          it will definitly be televised however we dont know by who and which countries can recieve it yet.

Comment

Foxtel in Australia are televising it live here so maybe someone like Eurosport may get in on the deal. I've bought my tickets can't wait to see who will be here to play apart from N.R. J.H. S.M. and S.H.
            I have not seen snooker players of this calibre 'live' since the Winfield Masters in the late 80's.

Comment

Originally Posted by davipp View Post
              Foxtel in Australia are televising it live here so maybe someone like Eurosport may get in on the deal. I've bought my tickets can't wait to see who will be here to play apart from N.R. J.H. S.M. and S.H.
              I have not seen snooker players of this calibre 'live' since the Winfield Masters in the late 80's.
              wow to long do you live near the venue ?

Comment

Working...
              X