Ssb - len ganley: 1943-2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - len ganley: 1943-2011

Len Ganley, the former referee and one of the circuit’s best known characters, has died at the age of 68.

Len (pictured with Alex Higgins and Terry Griffiths) was a familiar face on television for two decades, taking charge of many of snooker’s best known occasions in the 1980s and 90s.

He refereed four World Championship finals. The first was in 1983 when Steve Davis beat Cliff Thorburn. He also officiated the Crucible final in 1987, when Davis beat Joe Johnson, Stephen Hendry’s historic first capture of the title in 1990 and Hendry’s session-to-spare defeat of Jimmy White in 1993.

Len also refereed the famous 1983 UK Championship final between Alex Higgins and Steve Davis, in which Higgins recovered from 7-0 down to win 16-15.

If ever anyone fitted the description ‘larger than life’ it was Len. He was someone who enjoyed his time on the circuit to the full and was a distinctive, popular figure with TV audiences.

Born in Northern Ireland, where he was a chimney sweep in his youth, he settled in Burton-on-Trent in the early 1970s and, a keen snooker player, got into refereeing while working variously as a bus conductor and milkman.

He first donned the white gloves after he played Ray Reardon in a league match. When the multi-world champion got to a century, with the colours still on, the 600-strong crowd got over-excited but Ganley, with his imposing frame, hushed them and Reardon suggested that officialdom would come easily to him.

When snooker took off on TV in the late 1970s, refereeing became a full time job.

I know that when people who knew him remember Len they will do so with a smile.

Warm, ebullient and eccentric, his cult status was confirmed when the band Half Man Half Biscuit wrote a song about him: ‘The Len Ganley Stance.’

Len also appeared in an advert for Carling Black Label in which he was shown crushing a cue ball.

He was invariably involved in many of the laughs the circuit regulars enjoyed during long weeks on the road.

There was one hilarious misunderstanding in Aberdeen. A young lad clutching a programme approached him for an autograph and Len, ever obliging, asked him where he wanted it.

‘On the back’ came the reply meaning, of course, the back of the programme but a confused Len took the black marker pen and signed the back of his white sports coat instead.

Never one to take himself too seriously, he once had a personalised number plate which began ‘FLG.’

With great pride he explained it stood for ‘Fat Len Ganley.’

Less well known is the enormous amount of work Len did for charity.

Every year at the Crucible he collected money to provide motorised wheelchairs for handicapped children and raised many thousands of pounds over the years, which became millions through the golf days he also ran.

His fundraising method at the Crucible was direct: anyone he saw backstage, of whatever status or stature, would be obliged to hand over a ten pound note.

And this gentle giant certainly wasn’t shy of asking the great and the good to contribute to the cause.

Len was awarded the MBE in recognition of these efforts

He retired from the circuit in 1999 and returned to Northern Ireland to coach youngsters but still popped up from time to time to see his many friends.

In later life he suffered from diabetes and his health has been in decline since he suffered a heart attack in 2002.

His son, Mike, is the WPBSA’s tournament director. I send my sympathies to him and the whole Ganley family.

Another of the gang from the era that lifted snooker to the heights has departed the stage.

More...

So sorry for Mr Ganley's family and friends.
    I always remember when I was young watching Pot Black and tournaments, we would watch Mr Ganley nearly as much as the players!
    Wonderful man, met him once, what a gentleman.
    So sad.
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

RIP Len .....

Comment

RIP Len......
        2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
        2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Really sad news.
          Another snooker legend gone and one of my favourite refs of all time & a really genuine nice bloke.
          My thoughts and best wishes are with his family & friends.
          RIP Len....gone but never forgotten.

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
            Really sad news.
            Another snooker legend gone and one of my favourite refs of all time & a really genuine nice bloke.
            My thoughts and best wishes are with his family & friends.
            RIP Len....gone but never forgotten.
            I agree entirely - I will remember him with fondness although I never had the pleasure of meeting him in the flesh.He was a gent and a great character.God bless him and sincere condolences to the family.

Mark

Comment

Not really a time for humour but I'd like to think of him up there now reffing a game between Alex Higgins & John Spencer, as i'm sure Alex talked his way through the pearly gates somehow, Len was always great at keeping Alex under control.

Comment

I met Len at the Crucible last year in the players lounge, although I wasn't quite sure who he was at first, he let me know over the next couple of days!
                RIP Big fella

Comment

R.I.P Len......a true legend that took snooker to new heights...an inspiration to us all.......
                  You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

Very Sad news. Lovely bloke. Saw him at the Crucible every year after he retired. A real asset to snooker in it's hey-day. Another legend gone...shame....

Comment

David Vine
                      Alex Higgins
                      Ted Lowe
                      and now Len Ganley

4 men that were the face and voice of TV Snooker of the 1980s and so many peoples including mine childhood memories all gone.

RIP Len never forgotten.

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                        David Vine
                        Alex Higgins
                        Ted Lowe
                        and now Len Ganley

4 men that were the face and voice of TV Snooker of the 1980s and so many peoples including mine childhood memories all gone.

RIP Len never forgotten.
                        Dont forget John Street..
                        "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
                          Dont forget John Street..
                          i could name many more but the 4 i named somehow typifies the start of the snooker TV Age.

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                            i could name many more but the 4 i named somehow typifies the start of the snooker TV Age.
                            I thought you picked those 4 as they died within 18 months of each other, John Street included..
                            "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
                              I thought you picked those 4 as they died within 18 months of each other, John Street included..
                              SORRY yes John Street also died in the last 2 years

makes you feel old seing so many legends die

Comment

Working...
                              X