Ssb - trouble in paradise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - trouble in paradise

Things have changed markedly in the last year and a bit, most would say for the better.

More tournaments, global expansion and a feeling that the game is on the up have created a mood of optimism.

But you don’t have to look too far beneath the surface to find players unhappy with various aspects of their professional lives.

In short: the Barry Hearn honeymoon appears to be over.

I was in Gloucester last week for PTC7 where I spoke to a number of players, some off the record and some, like Stephen Maguire, in an interview.

Maguire, to his credit, has always spoken his mind, as he did again when I asked him for his views on the PTCs.

“I don’t enjoy them,” he said. “You play in a cubicle with no audience and no atmosphere. We play for years to try and get out of the cubicles and now we’re back in them. It’s hard to play well in that set up but you have to keep coming for the points.

“I’ve lost all respect for the ranking system. All anyone is looking at is the cut-off points and if I won’t drop down then I won’t play in a PTC.

“I feel like a bit of a prostitute, turning up for these events because I have to. Some of us got stick [from Hearn] for not entering tournaments because we wanted more time with our families. It’s up to me if I choose not to enter an event. If you don’t want to play you shouldn’t be forced into it.

“If you travel anywhere now you’re out of pocket unless you do really well.”

So what do we make of this?

A spoilt sportsman who doesn’t know how lucky he is or the heartfelt concerns of someone who feels he isn’t being treated in a manner worthy of his status?

As usual, the answer lies somewhere in between the two.

First of all, it’s important to point out that Maguire isn’t the only player who feels this way. Other top stars share his view and even some reasonable, sensible players lower down the ranking list are unhappy that they are shedding out large amounts of money with little prospect of serious return.

One described the European PTCs as “buying ranking points.” Most likely players will lose money on a trip to, say, Warsaw but can’t afford to miss out because of the points the events carry.

I think Maguire makes a good point about the cubicle set up. He’s right that players work hard to become free of that environment and to end up back there is a comedown.

Gloucester is a much, much better environment to play than Sheffield but still does not have the atmosphere of a big TV tournament.

But when Maguire talks about being ‘forced’ to play he is actually just articulating what many people feel about their jobs.

Most of you reading this now will know the feeling of waking up in the morning and really, really not wanting to go to work. But you do because you have to put food on the table. In that sense you don’t have a choice.

And snooker players, as in any other profession, will sit round with their colleagues complaining about having to do it. Go to any workplace and this is what you will find.

In fact, top snooker players who earn good money do have a choice, but not playing could be to the detriment of their ranking position, which is the trap Maguire is talking about.

A teacher cannot pick and choose what days they work. They can’t decide not to teach a particular class because they feel it’s beneath them.

The difference, though, is that teachers are not required to go to countries like China at their own expense to work.

The globalisation of snooker is a good thing for the sport and its future but it has left many players out of pocket with mounting expenses.

While it may be true to say they all have the same chance to win the top prize, it is equally true to say they are not all going to win it.

Most will bow out early and not even break even at the European PTCs, all of which increases the pressure of when they are actually playing. PTC11, due to be staged in Europe, is apparently to be held in the Badminton Hall in Sheffield, which will at least reduce expenses for British based players (i.e. the vast majority).

All that said, there is a great deal of money to be made playing snooker and when top players end up skint it is usually because of bad choices they have made, either spending money recklessly or putting their faith in shysters determined to rip them off.

This is why players desperately need independent financial guidance, ideally initiated through a structure at the WPBSA.

Maguire is not a lone voice but by no means everyone agrees with him. One lower ranked player told me that “the top players have been overpaid for years and shouldn’t be complaining.”

Another expressed astonishment that players were carping only two years after they were playing in just six or seven tournaments a year.

Shaun Murphy has said that he plays in just about everything because he wants to “create a store of memories” he can pass on to his children and grandchildren, and that he won’t do that sat at home.

Many other players are enjoying the opportunity the PTC affords and relishing the busy season in progress.

One of the problems is that many top players had it sweet when tobacco firms pumped millions into the game. For instance, Mark Williams won £270,000 – snooker’s biggest ever first prize – for becoming world champion in 2003. After local tax of 46% was withdrawn from his runners-up prize at the Australian Open he says he was left with roughly £9,000, out of which he had to pay his expenses.

It’s fair to say he wasn’t impressed and it’s easy to see why. Some players are openly saying they won’t be going to Australia next year.

And expenses are going to mount. After Christmas, running into the World Championship, there is a succession of tournaments in foreign climes.

This is all to the good in my opinion but it is vital that the structure of the tournament calendar is looked at, otherwise players will – understandably – not be playing in certain events.

At the back end of February the players are expected to go to China for the World Open, possibly on to India for a new tournament, then back to Europe for the PTC grand finals, then back out to China and then back to Britain for the World Championship. All this in the space of five or six weeks.

Other sports have, for instance, an ‘Asian swing’ so that they play a succession of events in a particular region.

This would surely be better in snooker, although of course Hearn and his team is having to largely start over again after years in which the sport drifted aimlessly.

His attitude is to get as many tournaments on as possible and, in fairness, this is what the players have asked him to do.

And players, like many other people, are motivated by financial gain. Personally I see nothing wrong with this.

But they need to be honest about it. Some of the players who skipped the Poland PTC didn’t do so to spend more time with their families: they were in China playing in an unsanctioned exhibition event.

Flying around the world is less arduous when you are being well paid for it.

Only hardcore snooker fans, in the minority, involve themselves in every aspect of tour structure and the minutiae of the circuit. Most just enjoy watching the game and are happy with the increased amount of tournaments and the opportunity to see more players.

However, some of the players who vociferously supported Hearn’s coronation are now finding that the game has become a runaway train they are finding hard to keep up with.

There is much to adjust to and so complaints are inevitable and understandable, but I think everybody has to realise that snooker is not premier league football or golf or tennis. Those sports attract vast amounts of sponsorship revenue. Snooker, which has always suffered from cultural snobbery, does not. It depends mainly on betting firms, most of whom do not pay fortunes. With the world economy how it is, sponsorship is going to be harder and harder to obtain.

Therefore not every new event is going to be like the World Championship. Major tournaments are not going to fall from the sky, replete with huge prize funds.

For this to change the sport has to be built up again, and the players are key to this. Things are not perfect – and the schedule is going to create more problems – but what is the answer? To go back to how it was before? Does anyone really want that?

Players said they wanted more tournaments. They have them. They aren’t all ideal by any means and they don’t all make financial sense, but one thing Hearn can’t be criticised for is doing what he was asked: to get events on.

Maybe the moral of the story is this: be careful what you wish for.

More...

If players are struggling to make money going on these far trips then perhaps they need to promote themselves more when they are in these far flug places, ala the matchroom team talked about in the book 'pocket money'.

If they want to try and earn a very good living without really having to travel then they are in the wrong job.

Value from playing tournaments needs to be looked at on a season long basis, not from tournamant to tournament.
    Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

Quote from the initial post by Ferrett ' sensible players lower down the ranking list are unhappy that they are shedding out large amounts of money with little prospect of serious return.'

Is it not the case that the better you do in the PTC's the higher your ranking goes up . Well surely that is an incentive to play in them . Are these players saying that they are simply not good enough to make it at a Professional level ? The Lower ranked players have to start somewhere .....you don't get in the top 16 without some hard graft .

I understand they need to pick and choose which ones' they play in and there will obviously be some financial issues that will need to be addressed by Mr Hearn . Seems that an AGM would be needed to listen to the issues facing these players . I'm sure Mr Hearn would do all he could to keep most of the players' happy .

Far better than the old regime surely !
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Didn't tour players have their overseas travel and accomodation paid for until this season? What was the reason for the change,because there were 6 euro ptc's and the wpbsa deemed they could no longer afford it?
        I dont get the 'comedown' about playing in cubicles,the lack of a/c in some of the Sheffield ptc's sure but an audience? I'm sure most would want the clubs they practice in to be pretty quite anyway,so what.

Comment

Can the WPBSA (or whoever it is) not organise a degree of sponsorship from local hotels for these far away events? I'm sure there are plenty of local 4 and 5 star hotels that would accomodate 40 or 50 professional snooker players for a week for free in return for having their hotel name advertised on a board near the table? And why not work out a deal with an airline for say 50 seats booked for 4 visits (return) 2 to China, one to India, one to Australia? This would be 400 seats guaranteed that the airline would be booking, so could offer a discounted rate, making the players expenses much lower? (the players reimburse the WPBSA the flight cost)

Am I way off the mark here, or are people not using their intelligence and simple marketing strategy to cut down on the expenses? This is what I would be inclined to do, and it would leave the whiny players with no good reason for not attending. Get them there promoting the game, increasing interest in it. It will lead to increased sponsorship, which results in more money being invested in the game. No top players = insufficient interest = no sponsorship = tournament not worth playing.
          Seems the players want everything doing for them, so all they do is turn up to a tournament, and win money. They don't seem prepared to help doing the work to promote the game to get the interest in starting a new tournament up.
          If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Originally Posted by deant1982 View Post
            Can the WPBSA (or whoever it is) not organise a degree of sponsorship from local hotels for these far away events? I'm sure there are plenty of local 4 and 5 star hotels that would accomodate 40 or 50 professional snooker players for a week for free in return for having their hotel name advertised on a board near the table?
            More the reason with ranking event qualifiers being over 4 days instead of only 3 with ptc's,dont know how the april 4-15 worlds works out,hardly a reach to strike up some accomodation deal somewhere around Sheffield you would have thought.

Comment

I understand Mark Williams point but surely in some of these new markets you have to suffer a bit with the hope that in years to come the pickings will be stronger. I know snooker is not unheard of- but hopefully you get my point. Eddie Charlton seemed to dominate the field there in a bad way and there wasn't a tournament there for 20 odd years. I am
              no accountant but as I assume a higher rate tax payer would the chunk of money the Australian tax man took off Williams would had it been left alone just, more or less, gone to Uk tax man?

Comment

Players has to get their head around the fact just how low snooker got under previous regime and their voting for the previous regime.

getting the sport back up to where it belongs will take hardship and a big fight but unless players realise that and fight for the couse instead of moaning like old women snooker prize money will never increase.

Comment

Working...
                X