Ssb - made of stone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - made of stone

The Mount Rushmore national memorial was carved into the South Dakotan mountain side 70 years ago to commemorate four legendary US presidents.

What if snooker were to have a similar monument to the players who have best served and represented the sport?

Of course, it isn’t going to happen unless some lunatic is let loose with a chisel on Snowdon, but that doesn’t mean we can’t discuss who should appear on such a memorial.

The rules: there is only room for four players. In fact that’s the only rule.

So here are the main contenders, considered objectively, not based on personal favourites...

Joe Davis was the father of professional snooker. It was he who saw its potential in the age of billiards. It was he who began the World Championship, buying the trophy still presented to this day using half the original entry fees from the inaugural championship in 1927.

Davis won the world title 15 times in succession before retiring from the professional game in 1946. His style of play was the textbook followed by many who took up snooker in his wake.

Ray Reardon was the most successful player of the 1970s as the professional game was revived and started to receive TV attention.

He was six times a world champion, having not had the chance to play professionally at the early age modern players now do.

Alex Higgins was a firebrand and a rebel and these characteristics, coupled with his electrifying style of play, brought a new audience to snooker, attracted television coverage and sponsorship and helped lead to a burgeoning professional circuit.

In the snooker soap opera of the 1980s, he was a much loved villain who put the sport on the front pages and kept up the remarkable levels of interest.

Steve Davis lived a much more placid life and was completely dedicated to being the best, which he was for a decade.

Davis has won more titles than anyone else and is still capable, into his 50s, of producing high quality performances. As an ambassador for snooker, he remains unsurpassed.

Jimmy White’s enduring popularity and cheerful optimism in the face of many knocks means he is still a draw more than 30 years after turning professional.

Never a world champion, he won ten ranking titles, including the UK Championship, plus the Masters and has provided many a fan with the sort of emotional rollercoaster ride which means they remain loyal to him long after his peak.

Stephen Hendry raised playing standards and ushered in a new era of attacking snooker. He has won more of what matters than any other player.

There were 90 ranking events played in the 1990s. Hendry won 27 of them, just under a third of the total. He is still more than 100 centuries ahead of the field.

Ronnie O’Sullivan is a rare natural talent whose brand of entertaining snooker has drawn many new fans to the game during the last 15 years.

Perhaps the best break builder snooker has ever seen, his many controversies have only added to his status as flawed genius but his achievements stand for themselves.

John Higgins has proved himself as the toughest match-player of the current time, with four world titles to his name and an almost innate knowledge of every aspect of the game.

Brilliant under pressure, he remains every bit as difficult to beat as when he first emerged two decades ago.

I realise some will argue for others, such as Fred Davis, John Spencer and Mark Williams, but this is the list from which I will select my four.

The first face who earns a place in our imaginary mountainside is Steve Davis.

It is hard to believe now the attention he had in the 1980s, when snooker bestrode TV sport like a colossus – and Steve did the same on the green baize.

He never went off the rails, never shirked from his professional responsibilities and, despite the odd famous slip-up, just kept on winning.

He could have walked away happy with hit lot but, such is his love of the game, that he carried on and is still delighting fans now, as well as providing inspiration for a whole group of much younger players.

Davis was always the model player to look up to. He is to snooker what Jack Nicklaus is to golf.

The second face the carvers had better set about constructing is that of Hendry, who decided from a frighteningly young age that he was going to be the best.

Sport thrives on the fluff and intrigue that surrounds it, but the true test of greatness is achievement. For this alone Hendry deserves his place, but the quality of snooker he has produced down the years speaks for itself.

My third face will be that of Alex Higgins. He didn’t win as much as Reardon but he had an alchemy that meant he was an absolutely vital figure to snooker’s growth and development.

People admired the Reardons and Spencers but they loved Higgins. Many hated him too, but nobody who watched him play could fail to be excited by his charisma, his shot making and his theatrical style of death-or-glory snooker.

So one face left to be carved and, for me, it should be O’Sullivan.

It was Joe Davis’s misfortune not to be playing in the colour television age. Snooker owes him a huge debt of gratitude but that is not the whole story.

He created the professional game but he also killed it when he retired but continued to play exhibitions. Everyone knew the best player in the world wasn’t in the World Championship and it was eventually discontinued for a decade before being revived, largely due to the efforts of Rex Williams.

In truth, professional snooker had two beginnings. The first was under the auspices of Davis in 1926. The second was in 1969 when the World Championship reverted from challenge system to knock-out and Pot Black began. It was this latter beginning which was more significant to the sport as it is today.

Reardon’s modern day tally of world titles was equalled by Steve Davis and surpassed by Hendry. He may have won more than Alex Higgins but Higgins’s contribution off the table cannot be overlooked.

The only mark against White is that he never won the world title, which has to count him out.

John Higgins is a great player but ultimately O’Sullivan has been responsible for keeping interest levels up in an era in which snooker’s survival as a top level sport has been under threat following the loss of the tobacco millions.

New viewers around the world watching snooker for the first time on TV have been drawn in by O’Sullivan, whose talent and changeable personality have created a heady mix and sustained the game in the media. He is, by any definition, a star.

So my four for snooker’s Mount Rushmore are Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins and Ronnie O’Sullivan.

Something tells me not everyone will agree with these choices.

More...

Davis, Hendry, Jimmy, Ronnie.
    Unclevit C Brand - CueGuru Tip.

Comment

What a good idea for a thread. I would say Sean Murphy and Stephen Lee but you probably would need a bigger mountain to fit any more on.

Personally Joe Davis, Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by 1blonde View Post
        What a good idea for a thread. I would say Sean Murphy and Stephen Lee but you probably would need a bigger mountain to fit any more on.
        You forgot Bill Werbenuik!

Comment

I think I'd probably go for Reardon, Davis, Hendry and O'Sullivan as icons of the 70s, 80s, 90s and 00s respectively.

Comment

Alex Higgins, Hendry, White, O'sullivan all have done a lot for the game and made it a lot more interesting in my opinion :snooker:
            "You have to play the game like it means nothing, when in fact it means everything to you" Steve Davis.

Comment

Joe Davis, Ray Reardon, Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry.

None of them were the most flamboyant players, but they were ALL winners. Natural born winners, who dominated their respective era's in a way that probably won't be seen again. Is that not the point of Mt Rushmore, a memorial to the greatest presidents of past times? If so, Mt Potmore MUST be a memorial to the greatest players of all time.
              If the mountain is about who did the most for the game in terms of popularising it, then it has to be Joe Davis (for helping to start the World championships), then Alex Higgins, Jimmy White, and Ronnie O'Sullivan.
              If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Originally Posted by 1blonde View Post

Personally Joe Davis, Steve Davis, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins.
                yes thoes are the 4 difinative names in the timeline of snooker to where we are today.

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                  yes thoes are the 4 difinative names in the timeline of snooker to where we are today.

i would think about putting dennis taylor in there too

Comment

Originally Posted by andy carson View Post
                    i would think about putting dennis taylor in there too
                    Why what did he do that's so memorable, apart from pot an easy black

Comment

OP seems to be missing a few players :

Bill Werbenuik was the original Snooker fat bloke, and the best. Would without doubt have been one of the top two players in the world throughout the 80s had snooker's governing body had the foresight to introduce a rule about matching your opponent drink for drink.

Tony Drago was another potential world champion. Sadly he was thwarted by the lack of a 6 second time limit on all shots. He did however become possibly the greatest celebrant of other people's 147s in history - there was a period when it seemed no man could hit a television maximum without Drago safely installed on the other table, ready to spring out at the crucial moment.

Comment

Originally Posted by merlin1234 View Post
                        OP seems to be missing a few players :

Bill Werbenuik was the original Snooker fat bloke, and the best. Would without doubt have been one of the top two players in the world throughout the 80s had snooker's governing body had the foresight to introduce a rule about matching your opponent drink for drink.
                        He'd have been in the top one! Save for Alex Higgins, there was not anyone that could drink that much alcohol, and even if they did, they couldn't stand, let alone play. Big Bill had 20+ pints BEFORE the game, then carried on during!

Tony Drago was another potential world champion. Sadly he was thwarted by the lack of a 6 second time limit on all shots.
                        He was also hampered by the using a rest rule. If you could just lay on the table without a foot on the floor, he'd have been so much further up the rankings. Stupid rests cost him tournaments!

He did however become possibly the greatest celebrant of other people's 147s in history - there was a period when it seemed no man could hit a television maximum without Drago safely installed on the other table, ready to spring out at the crucial moment.
                        I think I remember reading he has been on the receiving end of more professional competition 147's than any other player. That can't be just bad luck? The worst bit is, he genuinely seems happy for his opponent in every scene he congratulates them.
                        *NOTE TO TONY DRAGO* If your opponent makes a 147 against you, they have won that frame. If different opponents keep doing it to you, it isn't something to be happy about. Alarm bells should be ringing that your safety play is a little suspect!
                        If you want to play the pink, but you're hampered by the red, you could always try to play the brown!

Comment

Tony Drago was another potential world champion. Sadly he was thwarted by the lack of a 6 second time limit on all shots.
                          LOL. Do you remember his shotout match against McLeod last year. One of the strangest frames of snooker I´ve ever seen.
                          ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                          "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

I vote for Joe Davis, Alex Higgins, Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry.
                            ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                            "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Working...
                            X