Ssb - ding v o'sullivan to launch masters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - ding v o'sullivan to launch masters

The Masters will start in mouth-watering fashion in January with defending champion Ding Junhui facing four times champion Ronnie O’Sullivan at the tournament’s new home, Alexandra Palace.

The pair famously met in the final at Wembley Arena in 2007, where O’Sullivan’s superb performance delivered a severe mental blow to Ding’s confidence.

But that was all forgotten last season as he became the first non-British player for 25 years to win the game’s most prestigious invitation title.

His 10-4 victory over Marco Fu in the all Asian final brought the curtain down on the Wembley era of the Masters. The Ally Pally is a bigger venue and, crucially, the event remains in London.

Other interesting first round matches include Neil Robertson v Mark Allen, John Higgins v Matthew Stevens and Shaun Murphy v Martin Gould, the only debutant this year.

I hope the Masters is never made into a ranking event. Its prestige comes from the fact that it is purely for the elite top 16, a reward for being the best players in the world, and long may that continue.

MASTERS DRAW
    Ding Junhui v Ronnie O’Sullivan
    Judd Trump v Stuart Bingham
    Neil Robertson v Mark Allen
    Mark Williams v Stephen Maguire
    Mark Selby v Stephen Lee
    Shaun Murphy v Martin Gould
    Ali Carter v Graeme Dott
    John Higgins v Matthew Stevens

More...

At first glance, a good draw for Mark Selby. The two toughest opponents in his half, Murphy and Higgins, are traditionally poor at the Masters, while Selby has a great record.

The top half is more interesting, with a bunch of players who could do really well. Ding against O'Sullivan looks like the best prospect. Ding got his Masters redemption last year, but this is another chance, taking on O'Sullivan at his "home" event. And considering their current status in the game, Ding will be going into the match as the favourite.

Williams could be in trouble in the 1st round, as he always seems to struggle against Maguire. Then there are another two strong names, Robertson and Trump. Both could do really well in this atmosphere, as could Mark Allen.

Looking forward to it.

Comment

Thwe only matches I might skip are Selby, Williams and Carter. The rest are superb, though I'm going to be ridiculously nervous about the first round in case Trump, Robertspn and O'Sullivan all exit early.

Comment

Interesting draw. I have a feeling that Selby and Trump will make the final.

Comment

Working...
        X