Ssb - back to sheffield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - back to sheffield

After the brilliant UK Championship this week’s PTC action is not so much after the lord mayor’s show as after the show that follows the lord mayor’s show.

It will difficult, for instance, for Judd Trump to get himself into the same frame of mind as he experienced in York.

But it is the chance for someone to earn a £10,000 Christmas bonus in Sheffield. That’s in PTC11 at the weekend. First today comes the reduction of the field for PTC12 down to the last 16, which will be played in Germany next month.

And there are of course rankings issues to be decided in both these events. The main intrigue surrounds Ronnie O’Sullivan, who can lose his top 16 place if a combination of Stephen Lee, Mark Davis and Ricky Walden do well.

O’Sullivan has himself done well in PTCs this season and, having already qualified for the grand finals, has not entered the last two, but this has turned out to be a big risk.

The new ranking system does not offer the old protections but O’Sullivan would have been in trouble under any system: from seven major tournaments last season he lost in three first rounds and didn’t play in two other events.

No objective person could argue that he isn’t good enough to be in the top 16 but it is only by playing – and winning matches – that any player will keep their place.

You can follow the various rankings machinations at this excellent rundown at Pro Snooker Blog, whose commitment to this cause is exemplary.

PTC11 is live on Eurosport from Saturday.

More...

Does anyone know why there are no live games being broadcast. I' getting the ''due to territory licensing restrictions'' etc, yet it's in Sheffield and i'm in the U.K lol. I'm cancelling the service if they are filming and i cant watch it.

Comment

Working...
    X