Ssb - ronnie's rankings fight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - ronnie's rankings fight

Ronnie O'Sullivan enters the German Masters fray in something of a hole: 18th in the provisional rankings and thus not guaranteed a top 16 seeding for the World Championship.

He needs points in Berlin and at the Welsh Open to stave off this relegation but it will also of course depend on the fortunes of those players around him in the rankings.

There was good and bad news for Ronnie yesterday. Mark Davis (17th) lost but Stuart Bingham (15th) and Ricky Walden (16th) both won.

O'Sullivan's plight has been largely put down to missing tournaments. This certainly hasn't helped but neither has been a disappointing run of results.

Since reaching the World Open final in September 2010 he has appeared in just one ranking event quarter-final.

But throughout his career he has responded well when his back has been firmly to the wall. He has often won tournaments after moments of controversy. Expect him to come out fighting against Andrew Higginson today.

Having to qualify for the World Championship would be an annoyance for O'Sullivan, maybe even an embarrassment, but how many players ranked 33 down would you back to beat him over 19 frames in a match of great importance?

I think we'll see him at the Crucible.

It's an embarrassment of riches in the morning session with Ding Junhui, Neil Robertson, Judd Trump, Mark Allen and Graeme Dott all in action.

It would be nice to think that at some point a webcam could be put on some of these outside tables because TV viewers don't get to pick the matches they watch: they get what they're given, and as everyone has their favourites it obviously follows that some will be disappointed by the choices (in this case Ding v Yu Delu).

Craig Steadman was the only wildcard winner yesterday when he beat Mike Dunn, highlighting the essential unfairness of the wildcard system.

Steadman is a very good player, not some kid gaining experience. Dunn qualified fair and square so could count himself unlucky to be playing someone clearly much better than the other wildcards.

Such is the pace of this event that the second round starts tonight. There's an all Scottish clash featuring John Higgins and Stephen Maguire while Walden faces Shaun Murphy, who was close to elimination yesterday before producing a classy finish to see off Barry Hawkins.

More...

I gotta agree Ronnie is far too good too be out of the Top 16 well out of the Top 8 is Bad enough!

Ronnie said in a interview if he has to Qualify for Tournaments he will but as Kevin said who would wanna play Ronnie in Qualifier! I personal think he has to get some great Results if he doesnt want to enter Alot of Ranking events.

Going back to the Live Coverage it is Beyond we had to Watch the German PATRICK EINSLE play Ken Doherty yesterday Morning and this Morning Ding v Yu Delu who is Doing a Job on Ding at the Moment and should be going 3-0 up with Ding Conceeding 2nd Frame and may get a Fine due to enough on the Table for him to Win!

Comment

well , ronnie's ranking position sound a lil' bit as a joke ... but it's a choice he made , not apearing in many tournament . i can't blame him for doing that as i got a young son and it would annoy me not seing him grow up . if think ( hope ) that even if he drop out of the top 16 , even if there's plenty of really talented players he will be at the crucible as in a best of 19 frames match he would prevail 99 percent of the time

Comment

as a huge Ronnie fan my only fear is how long will he do the qualifying for and what is he up against to get back into the top 16 if he cannot commit to the ranking events? I fear a downward spiral which is a shame for snooker and obviously the man himself.

As mentioned in the above post you really wouldn't rate your chances playing Ronnie in a qualifier. I have seen him in exhibition matches relaxed and unpressured and the man is amazing, could this be the first time we see televised qualifying matches??

Comment

Originally Posted by tariq View Post
          as a huge Ronnie fan my only fear is how long will he do the qualifying for and what is he up against to get back into the top 16 if he cannot commit to the ranking events? I fear a downward spiral which is a shame for snooker and obviously the man himself.

As mentioned in the above post you really wouldn't rate your chances playing Ronnie in a qualifier. I have seen him in exhibition matches relaxed and unpressured and the man is amazing, could this be the first time we see televised qualifying matches??
          that's a excelent question tariq , and i think that with the likes of hendry and ROS ( even if he's now pretty sure to still be in the 16 ) qualifying round could attract a lot of audience and be interresting for the federation as they could make money ....

Comment

Working...
          X