Ssb - crucible draw takes shape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - crucible draw takes shape

We now have the top 16 seedings in place for the Betfred.com World Championship, which means the draw is taking shape.

If the top 16 all come through the first round then the last 16 will look like this:

John Higgins v Stuart Bingham
    Stephen Maguire v Graeme Dott
    Shaun Murphy v Stephen Lee
    Judd Trump v Ali Carter
    Mark Williams v Ronnie O’Sullivan
    Neil Robertson v Martin Gould
    Ding Junhui v Mark Allen
    Mark Selby v Matthew Stevens

What do you make of that lot, then?

Of course there is no way of knowing who will play who in the first round but some early predictions can be made about how the Crucible marathon will pan out.

The last player to defend the world title was Stephen Hendry in 1996 but Higgins could have had a worse draw.

Trump could meet him in the semi-finals, although former champions Dott and Murphy could be dangermen in the top half.

Williams won’t be best pleased with a likely second round meeting with O’Sullivan bearing in mind it’s ten years and counting since he beat him in a ranking event.

Robertson v Gould would of course be a rematch of their second round tie from two years ago when the Aussie recovered from 11-5 down to win 13-12.

The bottom quarter looks particularly tough. Ding v Allen would be a cracker and Selby could face the Chinese no.1 in the quarter-finals for a second successive year.

It’s early days yet but the qualifying draw is being made today and the final stages begin two months tomorrow.

The greatest snooker show on earth isn’t that far away.

More...

Williams vs O'sullivan could happen to early in the tournament again!! .

Comment

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
      The last player to defend the world title was Stephen Hendry in 1996 but Higgins could have had a worse draw.
      I'm not sure about that...

Bingham could be a nightmare in the Last 16, Maguire in the Quarter Final, Trump in the Semi's... and that's not even mentioning his first round opponent and possible Final opponent. Sounds like a VERY tough route to me...

The draw looks extremely OPEN to me, and I wouldn't want to call anything until I see how they're all playing in the Second Round...

Comment

Atleast Trump and O'Sullivan can't face until the final.

Cool draw though. I would say O'Sullivan probably has the toughest draw there. Williams > Roberton > Ding/Selby > Higgins/Trump. Saying that, Williams always underperforms against him.

Wide open draw though as others have said. A lot of possible sub-plots. Higgins has had had some thumpings against Maguire recently, he always seems to draw Dott aswell so 2 possibly interesting matches. Trump vs Murphy - battle of the potting machines. O'Sullivan/Williams - battle of the legends, Ding vs Selby the rematch, Allen vs Robertson again, O'Sullivan vs Selby rivalry, Gould/Rbertson plus the two possible dream finals for the neutral - O'Sullivan vs Higgins or O'Sullivan vs Trump.

All too close to call. I would fancy Higgins/Trump to get to the semi final. Other side is more packed. Literally can't choose between O'Sullivan, Robertson, Ding and Selby. Allen can beat anyone on his day too.

A lot obviously depends on the first round draws. I would probably fancy Higgins assuming he plays himself into form.
        Last edited by Ronnie's tip; 24 February 2012, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X