Ssb - the forgotten final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - the forgotten final

We’re living in a golden age for snooker, but as with most previous golden ages most people won’t realise until it’s over.

The access to watching snooker tournaments now is greater than it’s ever been. You only have to go back a decade to a time where events outside the UK never made the TV back home and fans had to follow Teletext scores instead of instant live scoring.

Yes, there really was a time before Eurosport’s blanket coverage, before live streaming, before Twitter, where people go to fulminate if they miss so much as a break-off shot, before blogs and forums and the endless chatter that surrounds modern sport.

The more you give people, the more complacent they become. History, though, tells us how lucky we are.

Let me take you back, way back, to a distant place known as 2003. You may have read about it.

The 2002/03 season had begun in acrimony and rancour. So far, this does not distinguish it in any way from any other season.

The players, egged on by their associates, rejected the Altium offer to bankroll the circuit and handed control instead to a couple of chancers on a ten-year contract.

This contract would be torn up after less than a year due to their failure to deliver but it included a guarantee of eight ranking tournaments.

With money tight (it tends to be when you turn it down) and tobacco sponsorship about to exit ashtray-right, putting on new events was going to be difficult.

However, the WPBSA encouraged the organiser of the Irish Masters to turn his event into a ranking tournament and they then struck on the bright idea of staging the European Open not, as was traditional, on the continent but in a hotel in Torquay.

Believe me, any Fawlty Towers references you can think of were trotted out with great regularity back then.

The kicker was that there would be no TV coverage at all. There was to be no web streaming either.

So the tournament infolded in almost complete anonymity, which was a great shame because it produced one of the sport’s best finals that decade and with it one of Ronnie O’Sullivan’s best performances full stop.

O’Sullivan was in a happy place generally at this point and had just got back into running, which gave him an outlet outside of snooker. He seemed relaxed in Torquay, perhaps because there were no demands from TV, and played some brilliant snooker to reach the final.

And the final was a classic. His opponent was Stephen Hendry, who had just returned to form by winning the Welsh Open in fine style.

A marker was laid down as to the standard in the opening frame, which O’Sullivan won with a 140 total clearance. He made another century, 126, and three half centuries to arrive at the interval leading 5-2. Hendry, for his part, had made a break of 101.

He also made 88 in the first frame of the final session before O’Sullivan delivered another total clearance, a 142 total clearance.

Hendry, always so dangerous in adversity, fought back as he so often had before, a 117 the highlight as he reduced his arrears to 6-5.

But with two more big breaks, O’Sullivan emerged victorious at 9-6.

And he was satisfied, not just to win the title but to do it so well against Hendry, an old foe and the player he most looked up to.

Very few people watched this match. Two of them were Ray Reardon and Tony Knowles, who afterwards made comments to a local newspaper to the effect that there wasn’t enough safety play.

When you can pot everything, safety isn’t quite as necessary. It was indicative of how snooker had changed, for the better most, if not Reardon and Knowles, would argue.

Feeling good and with his game back in shape, O’Sullivan went on to win another excellent final, beating John Higgins 10-9 at the Irish Masters.

What a shame hardly anyone saw what O’Sullivan still regards as one of his finest triumphs.

It would be different today. One of the most significant of all Barry Hearn’s innovations could turn out to be liveworldsnooker.tv. It already shows PTCs and qualifiers exclusively and were there occasions where no broadcaster could be found for a future event, could be the place to watch it.

It doesn’t hurt to remember that it wasn’t always like this.

More...

Yeah snooker is booming with technology,agreed and booming world wide ,but in the uk at grass roots level ,which is the most important thing (for the uk that is) it is dying on its feet pretty quickly, clubs shutting down almost every week , other clubs removing tables to make way for pool, darts ect,table prices just way over the top and table quality poor ,nowhere near as many younger players coming through(especially class ones), very few pro- ams nowadays compared to hundreds twenty years ago.
    Youve only got to look at the professional game to see it is mainly made up of older british players and younger foreign players.#
    And besides , unless you are a very top ranked player you cant make a living ,you lose money hand over fist.
    I think snooker in the uk will be virtually non existant in twenty five -thirty years time
    so golden age of snooker now ,i personally dont think so.

Comment

Great post ferret. A final I knew nothing about if truth be told, but it sounds like a classic. As for the comments from Reardon & Knowles, i think have to agree with you - if your potting is that good & you're in the zone then safety wouldn't come into it with these 2 players (hardly renowned for their defensive snooker but I'm sure you'd agree 2 of the finest safety players around when needs must). I guess it's the older generation who tend to appreciate a good safety battle more than others, I know my old man can't stand watching balls flying in the pockets from all angles (he's not Ronnie's gretest fan & that's putting it mildly) & would probably rather watch a half hour frame with a good safety battle & neither player finishing the frame off in 1 visit. I perefer a good mix of the two myself.
      As for bonoman's comments about the current state of snooker; I went to a different local club for the first time the other day which has about 7 or 8 snooker tables, along with about half a dozen few pool tables. The place was packed & quite a few people were waiting for a table to become available. I was talking to the owner aftewards who said if it wasn't for the money they take from a couple of fruit machines the place would close down! Sad days indeed.

Comment

Great post. A final I knew nothing about if truth be told. Have to agree with you regarding the Reardon / Knowles comments.

Comment

Originally Posted by bonoman1970 View Post
          Yeah snooker is booming with technology,agreed and booming world wide ,but in the uk at grass roots level ,which is the most important thing (for the uk that is) it is dying on its feet pretty quickly, clubs shutting down almost every week , other clubs removing tables to make way for pool, darts ect,table prices just way over the top and table quality poor ,nowhere near as many younger players coming through(especially class ones), very few pro- ams nowadays compared to hundreds twenty years ago.
          Youve only got to look at the professional game to see it is mainly made up of older british players and younger foreign players.#
          And besides , unless you are a very top ranked player you cant make a living ,you lose money hand over fist.
          I think snooker in the uk will be virtually non existant in twenty five -thirty years time
          so golden age of snooker now ,i personally dont think so.
          Regarding your point about the amount of clubs closing ... I went to a local snooker club for the first time the other week (I normally play in my local working mens club). All of the 8 or so tables were in use as well as another 5/6 pool tables and there were even people waiting for a table to become available. I was talking to the manager afterwards & he said if it wasn't for the maney taken from the fruit machines the place would probably go under .. to say I was shocked is an understatement. A sad state of affairs indeed ..

Comment

Attended this final a real high standard of play.
            Following this event the qualifiers for the world championships took place at the same venue.
            Was able to watch a few of these also one of which was Steve Davis battling Ryan Day for a place at the Crucible
            Steve won 10-9 having showed so much concentration and focus during the match he let it go when he won, shows how much a return to Sheffield meant.

Comment

When Canada's biggest sports TV network dropped their BBC coverage back in the 1990's, it became almost impossible to follow the pro circuit.

I, for one, have not forgotten the dark ages of snooker.

I fully appreciate the availability of today's online coverage and live streaming. As more people around the globe get to watch the game, it's only a matter of time until the sport begins to grow again. I honestly believe that, and I agree we're in the golden age of snooker.

Comment

Hmm ... I put a reply to this thresd on here the other day & it didn't show up so decided to post another response. Now they're both on here. Hope no-one thinks I'm repetitive or forgetful

Comment

Working...
                X