Ssb - judd v jimmy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - judd v jimmy

Jimmy White didn't play great in beating Syrian Omar Alkojah in the wildcard round of the China Open yesterday but he got the result, which is all you can ask for in this tricky, palpably unfair extra match the eight lowest ranked qualifiers have to play for no additional financial reward.

Michael Holt and Jamie Jones did not fair so well, each beaten by Chinese opponents.

White now faces Judd Trump, the latest in the lineage of flair players to which the Whirlwind himself belongs.

He followed in the footsteps of Alex Higgins, his great friend, and is taking inspiration from the Hurricane in the year which marks to 40th anniversary of his first world title triumph and the 30th of his second.

White has cufflinks inscribed with an image of Higgins which he hopes will spur him on to qualify for the Crucible.

Trump represents a significant test. It was in Beijing 12 months ago that he broke through and is a big favourite to win again today.

White will surely have to produce one of his best performances on TV for some time to cause an upset.

His old foe, Stephen Hendry, won an entertaining first round match yesterday against Martin Gould, who will be thinking about the red he missed in the decider, effectively for match, all the way back to blighty.

Had it not been at such a vital time he probably wouldn't have missed it, but herein lies the fascination with sport: who will hold their nerve when it really matters?

Hendry still has an aura, particularly for a player like Gould who grew up watching him. Beating him live on TV in front of a large crowd is still a big deal. This obviously added to the pressure he was feeling.

I was amused to see Stephen say afterwards that his last remaining ambition was to win a major title in China. He did do when he won the 1990 Asian Open but I guess when you've won as much as he has you forget these things.

More...

Originally Posted by ferret View Post
    Jimmy White didn't play great in beating Syrian Omar Alkojah in the wildcard round of the China Open yesterday but he got the result, which is all you can ask for in this tricky, palpably unfair extra match the eight lowest ranked qualifiers have to play for no additional financial reward.

Michael Holt and Jamie Jones did not fair so well, each beaten by Chinese opponents.

White now faces Judd Trump, the latest in the lineage of flair players to which the Whirlwind himself belongs.

He followed in the footsteps of Alex Higgins, his great friend, and is taking inspiration from the Hurricane in the year which marks to 40th anniversary of his first world title triumph and the 30th of his second.

White has cufflinks inscribed with an image of Higgins which he hopes will spur him on to qualify for the Crucible.

Trump represents a significant test. It was in Beijing 12 months ago that he broke through and is a big favourite to win again today.

White will surely have to produce one of his best performances on TV for some time to cause an upset.

His old foe, Stephen Hendry, won an entertaining first round match yesterday against Martin Gould, who will be thinking about the red he missed in the decider, effectively for match, all the way back to blighty.

Had it not been at such a vital time he probably wouldn't have missed it, but herein lies the fascination with sport: who will hold their nerve when it really matters?

Hendry still has an aura, particularly for a player like Gould who grew up watching him. Beating him live on TV in front of a large crowd is still a big deal. This obviously added to the pressure he was feeling.

I was amused to see Stephen say afterwards that his last remaining ambition was to win a major title in China. He did do when he won the 1990 Asian Open but I guess when you've won as much as he has you forget these things.

More...
    i disagree about it being unfair the Asian amateurs cant get experience of professional tournaments at the PTC's as there arent any in Asia (Why the cant have the early PTC's around the Wuxi and Shanghai I will never know the season should have the Autumn Chinese events back to back anyway as it would help with flight costs, look at the World Open and China Open why have events in the UK in between them the China and World opens should of been in back to back weeks

Sometimes I feel Bernie Ecclestone is running is running world snooker by the logistical nightmares snooker calendars produce, after all F1 have Bahrain GP and Abu Dhabi GP at different parts of the season despite the two places (I say places as Abu Dhabi isn't a country, and it should be called the UAE Grand Prix) being within driving distance of one another being at different points in the season.

Why are sports logistics so ridiculous. they are meant to be circuits not loop the loop.

if your going to have Chinese events at different parts of the season then the only way i can fathom is start and end the season in the far east

Also it was a disgrace that the Thailand Masters was dropped other than China and the UK it produces probably the most players maybe it was short sighted to move the World Open to China and not to Thailand
    Goddess Of All Things Cue Sports And Winner Of The 2012 German Masters and World Open Fantasy Games and the overall 2011-12 Fantasy Game

Comment

Working...
    X