Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ssb - how do you solve a problem like ronnie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - how do you solve a problem like ronnie?

I've seen a lot of snooker in my life, probably too much, but I've rarely seen a more impressive sight than Ronnie O'Sullivan at his best.

He plays a seductive game with style and panache, at times spell binding, which can make what is a difficult sport look ridiculously easy.

But it only appears effortless because of all the effort he has put in.

O'Sullivan is often referred to as 'the most naturally talented player ever to pick up a cue.' This actually does him a disservice. It implies the game has always come easily to him. It implies he hasn't had to put the work in like everyone else.

His ambidexterity and quick thinking clearly suggests a natural aptitude for snooker but his success has been primarily due to sustained and purposeful practice at a young age.

As a boy, he had a full sized table in his house on which to practice. His father would arrange for leading amateurs and professionals to come and play him.

These are clear advantages to a rapid development in his sport. He's put the hours - no the years - in, unseen from the eyes of the public, and has got the rewards.

So how does Ali Carter stop him winning a fourth world title over the next two days?

The obvious answer is to pot more balls and win more frames. It won't be easy. O'Sullivan has never lost a world final and came to the Crucible this year looking focused, appearing calm and producing some superb spells of snooker.

In each of his four matches thus far he has conjured six frame bursts to pull away from his opponents. He has scored heavily but his safety has also been excellent. His discipline and patience has been exemplary.

Carter seems to have relied more and more on his tactical game, not pushing the boat out as much as in the past.

Players get unfair criticism from pundits who sometimes give the impression they have forgotten how hard championship snooker is.

If a player goes for a tough pot and misses they are accused of being reckless. If they close the shop they are accused of being negative.

Most players play the percentages but it's also about how confident they are feeling within themselves.

Carter has never beaten O'Sullivan in a televised match. A decade or so ago they practised together and Carter once beat him 18-2.

I think Carter's steel in Sheffield has been magnificent. He came into the tournament off the back of a bad season, his form affected by ill health, and so perhaps had lower expectations of himself than usual.

In his corner is Peter Ebdon, champion ten years ago, who seems a more than useful oracle with which to converse between sessions.

But Ebdon can't pot the balls for him. Carter is out there on his own, facing a fearsome force in the shape of O'Sullivan.

I wonder if O'Sullivan sees this as his last great hurrah in the sport. I hope not because he's clearly still good enough to have several more.

But he has already stated that the new packed calendar is not to his taste. He doesn't want to play every week. Last night, yet again, he floated the idea of retirement.

The speculation as to his future will doubtless begin on Monday night. Before that he has a world final to win, and Ali Carter has a formidable problem to solve.

More...
Working...
X