Ssb - response to the spa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - response to the spa

From time to time, someone involved in the snooker world will contact me privately to take issue with something I have written on this blog. These conversations are usually amicable, occasionally not.

I welcome them. If you run a blog then you should be accountable for what you write.

Today, the Snooker Players Association chose not to contact me privately but publish on their website and circulate a diatribe against this piece I wrote about Paul Mount’s decision not to stage any further World Snooker events.

Therefore, I shall publically respond.

The SPA’s Les Barton wrote: “Your early comment in this article regarding the meeting between bewteen [sic] SWSA and SPA intimates that the SPA meeting played a significant part in the fall out.”

In fact, I did not. What I actually said was that the main point of conflict is with World Snooker.

The clue was when I wrote this:

“The main point of conflict is with World Snooker.”

I did reference the SPA’s letter of complaint about players having to pay for practice facilities and other issues because I had already written about them and some readers may have felt that Mount’s decision was based on his reaction to them (he did, after all, issue his own statement about the SPA’s criticisms).

So, actually, I was trying to make clear the SPA were not to blame and that Mount’s displeasure had been based on contractual issues with World Snooker, which I then laid out based on the best available evidence.

Barton states that: “You have skillfully avoided confronting the true protagonists and attempted to deflect some of the blame towards the SPA. For what reason only you and you alone know, where as we can but guess.”

Actually, he doesn’t have to guess why there is no quote from World Snooker. If he’d read the piece properly he would have known.

As I made clear, I contacted World Snooker and asked them to comment. They decided not to. That’s up to them, but it is untrue to say I had not put Mount’s points to them because I did. World Snooker’s press officer will verify this is Barton would like to check with him.

The irony of all this is that two days ago someone high up at World Snooker did contact me to question the SWSA’s reasoning, but he did not want to go on the record because he felt doing so may drag World Snooker’s other commercial partners into a public spat.

With a flourish, Barton concludes:

“We are extremely disappointed that once again someone prepared to invest in not only the top level of snooker but also supporting both youth development and charities alike finds himself a victim of the Snooker Regime which in years past your blog and publication would have objectively persued [sic] and informed the snooker world of the real story. I have to say on this occassion [sic] it is my opinion you have let them down.”

Well, that’s his opinion. Mine is that he should have read the original piece more carefully before choosing to mouth off.

To reiterate: the purpose of my story was not to criticise the SPA, or anyone else for that matter, but to try to find out the reasons for Mount’s decision.

I am not part of the ‘snooker regime.’ I am self-employed and have been for the last 15 years. This blog is a small part of what I do (and I don’t receive a penny for writing it).

Those who don’t like its contents are free not to read it.

As for the SPA, I don’t doubt that those behind it are well intentioned but they have gradually made themselves into a laughing stock: literally – people are openly laughing at them.

A few weeks ago they came up with a deal for players with a bookmaker offering a 10% refund for losing bets. In the biggest about-turn since Elton John got married, they then demanded an inquiry into the effects of gambling sponsorship on snooker players.

Is this really a body which will cogently articulate the real and pressing concerns of professional snooker players?

Do we suppose Barry Hearn is quaking in his boots at the prospect of receiving one of their communiqués?

The SPA seems to spend a great deal of time hitting out at those it perceives to be in opposition to it. In the main part these are only perceptions.

It should concentrate on persuading players that it is a credible body which can represent their interests in a professional manner.

It should also be sure of its ground in future before it starts making wild accusations.

More...

I think the SPA is really about the money. They need money in order to carry out their mandate but as far as I can tell they don't have a lot of sponsorship nor members. I had joined it when it was free ages ago but I don't see any benefit to me or any other players for joining the SPA.

Perhaps that will change for the better in the future.

I also don't think the management of TSF (ferret, et al) are part of the 'snooker regime' and I took your original blog to be accurate and I never came away thinking it was critical of the SPA.

Terry
    Terry Davidson
    IBSF Master Coach & Examiner

Comment

From my first reading of your original article, it was clear to me that SPA were not part of the main story concerning the SWSA and WS. I think that SPA think of SPA (and only rightly) but got the wrong end of the stick (is that - again? )
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

He didn't even have the good grace to call you Ferret, who the hell is this Dave?
        Harder than you think is a beautiful thing.

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
          who the hell is this Dave?
          Dave Hendon if that's who you are referring to, is journalist who writes regularly for Snooker Scene magazine and also writes a blog for them he also is commentator......

There has been a few words said between Dave, Les and snookerbacker on twitter today.....
          Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
          Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Having followed the SPAs pathetic performance over the last few weeks,all you can do is laugh at them.Some of their statements are so dreadful i have to say i started thinking they are a spoof organization.Every experienced journo who tweets or blogs have nothing but disdain for them.

Comment

Originally Posted by coomsey76 View Post
              Dave Hendon if that's who you are referring to, is journalist who writes regularly for Snooker Scene magazine and also writes a blog for them he also is commentator......

There has been a few words said between Dave, Les and snookerbacker on twitter today.....
              anyone know who snookerbacker is?

Comment

I'd have to agree with you there..... its been quite funny reading some of the tweets the SPA has been putting up.

I can't believe the SPA was having a go at snookerbacker, I have respect for snookerbacker after reading the article about him in Snooker scene (April I think).

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  anyone know who snookerbacker is?
                  http://www.snookerbacker.com/

https://twitter.com/snookerbacker1

Here you bud, this should explain it...

Comment

Thanks for that. I dont gamble and I dont Twitter so never heard of him/her, thanks anyway.
                    So Ferret is David Hendon then?

Comment

Thanks for that. I dont gamble and I dont Twitter so never heard of him/her, thanks anyway.
                      Yes, I was being ironic before Dean; who the hell is this Dave!!!!

Anyway, have a lookee at the video I posted in Coaching if you get a chance (you're probably still doing bedtime). I'd appreciate your input as I respect your views. Kung Foo snooker.

Comment

cheers PP
                        I did have a look at the vid earlier but will put up my two-penneth from my non-coaching view
                        ciao

Comment

Nope ... Ferret is Kevin ... but if the thread title starts "Ssb -" it's being reposted from Snooker Scene Blog which is written by Dave Hendon - it just shows up on TSF looking like Ferret wrote it but he didn't ...

Hope this helps

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                            Nope ... Ferret is Kevin ... but if the thread title starts "Ssb -" it's being reposted from Snooker Scene Blog which is written by Dave Hendon - it just shows up on TSF looking like Ferret wrote it but he didn't ...

Hope this helps
                            Ok, so Dave is taking the flack from SPA, not Ferret? Is Dave on here as well, as erm 'Dave Hendon'. And The Snooker Blog is Ferret's work though? I'm getting that parallel universe brain ache off red dwarf at the minute. Is this TSF or Hawking's M theory?
                            Last edited by Particle Physics; 17 August 2012, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Particle Physics View Post
                              Yes, I was being ironic before Dean; who the hell is this Dave!!!!
                              Not quite right there PP...... As Dandy has said Ferret and Dave Hendon are two different people.....

Comment

Working...
                              X