Ssb - paul hunter: Six years on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ssb - paul hunter: Six years on

Paul Hunter died six years ago today. He was only 27. Next week he would have turned 34, still easily young enough to have been competing at the highest level.

We all know about his career. He remains the youngest player to reach a ranking event semi-final at just 16. He beat five top 16 players to win the Welsh Open in 1998 at the age of 19.

He won the Masters three times, all in deciding frame finishes after unlikely comebacks.

He won a total of three ranking titles, reached a high of fourth in the world rankings and came within a frame of reaching the 2003 World Championship final.

These facts should not be forgotten because they sum up a career which was already successful and would surely have hit greater heights.

But Paul was a player about whom people thought not of statistics but his more human characteristics: he was always smiling, he was always determined to have fun. When he won he did so without triumphalism. When he lost he did so graciously without any bitterness.

He was, in every sense, a personality, someone who drew people to snooker. Those Masters finals were remarkable matches, not just through his recoveries but because of how well he played to win them, centuries flying in, pressure balls being dispatched, his nerve remaining firm to the end.

If Ray Reardon, who I wrote about yesterday, was one of those who lit the snooker fuse in the public mind, Paul was one of the main reasons it kept burning amid gross mismanagement and lost opportunities.

His cancer diagnosis came shortly before the 2005 China Open, a tournament now remembered for sparking the current snooker boom in China, due to Ding Junhui winning it at the age of 18.

Paul still travelled to Beijing to play, obviously deeply concerned about his future. The press knew he was ill but did not know the severity of his condition at this point.

After he won his first match we requested him for an interview. This can take quite a long time in China because various people want a piece of the player but a good 20-30 minutes passed with no sign of Paul.

We assumed he had left the building, and quite possibly cursed him for it. Someone went off to see what had happened and found him still in the arena, patiently signing autographs for fans.

Paul wasn’t a saint but he had a genuine goodness, recognised by snooker fans the world over.

He loved the game and the game loved him.

More...

Ssb - paul hunter: Six years on

I have some great memories watching Paul play......

A sad loss to the game, but its so wonderful to see that his memory lives on for what he did for the game!!

R.I.P Paul Hunter.
    Winner of 2011 Masters Fantasy game......
    Winner of 2011 World Championship Fantasy game.......

Comment

Yeah my best memories from snooker are Paul Hunters matches, especially the masters finals.

Without a doubt one of the greatest players, and such a champion always coming back to win a match against all the odds.

R.I.P

Comment

RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkV0jyQdcso

Some classic matches . . .
        My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
        I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

all too true, wished i would have seen him in person play, every time i go into the nothern snooker centre, i think of what it must be like to see him in there. r.i.p mate

Comment

He was my favourite player, my first memories was of that Welsh Open win as I was there on quarter finals day and it was the first time I saw him play live. I loved his style of play and became a fan. Met him briefly a couple of times and was a really nice down to earth person, not stuck up or arrogant like some I could mention. Massive loss to the game and its just nice that we still remember him and have the foundation and tournaments named after him in his honour.

Comment

Working...
            X