No announcement yet.

Ssb - o'sullivan fails bbc personality test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know much about darts - although I once won a coconut -but to win 16 world titles is it? - and still be a Champion now at his age with all the talent around him is incredible and not only is he the greatest player ever in his sport the skill and dedication to keep on competing at the top at his age serves as an inspiration to anyone playing any sport I think.

Phil Taylor has took a game and led it into a new era of coolness - every pub and club now has a thriving team - there are a ton of events and many of the players are millionaires - so his very success has helped transform a whole industry. I like the fact he loves snooker and he does have a nice down to earth personality.

Many people seem to have written him off in the past but still he came back and proved them wrong - For someone like him not to get nominated stinks of nepotism to me - if he had won all his titles on the BBC darts tour thing instead of Sky's as someone has already mentioned on this thread then he surely would have won it possibly more than once - never mind a runner up.

Comment

his conviction for which his mbe was annulled might have counted against him

Comment

Originally Posted by Looki View Post
        can't stay sober even during tournaments. We last witnessed this at the UK when the genius rushed to celebrate his birthday the day before like a 17 year old and lost his match the following day.
        Err, do you have any evidence for that? If not, it's a bit libellous!

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
          I don't know much about darts - although I once won a coconut -but to win 16 world titles is it? - and still be a Champion now at his age with all the talent around him is incredible and not only is he the greatest player ever in his sport the skill and dedication to keep on competing at the top at his age serves as an inspiration to anyone playing any sport I think.
          Great video!

I purchased some Phil Taylor darts but I am still lucky to hit the dart board.

Maybe I should get my money back, the darts must be no good. Or is it me maybe?

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
          I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Darts are like cues Mythman, you have to find the ones that suit you. Just like cues weight, length , balance point all plays a part.
            This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
            https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Originally Posted by gem View Post
              I love snooker but it never even entered my head that Ronnie would be anywhere close to this list.

Andy Murray has to win this. Greatest achievement by a British sportsman for a long time.
              Great because British are crap at tennis maybe but winning the Tour De France in my opinion is a much greater sporting achievement
              It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                This has never been about personality, two horses have won it !! Says it all.
                To be fair to Red Rum he did smile when he won
                It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Darts are like cues Mythman, you have to find the ones that suit you. Just like cues weight, length , balance point all plays a part.
                  Yes they are . . . you just need to be able to use them (cues, darts, cricket bats, basketballs, whatever).

I have loads of different darts, weights, flights, etc and I am equally crap with them all.

Plus I never practice darts and only play after too many beers.

My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                  I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                    Great because British are crap at tennis maybe but winning the Tour De France in my opinion is a much greater sporting achievement

My three sporting loves are golf, snooker and cycling and think winning the TDF is an amazing achievement but it is more of a team effort so this is why I still see Murray's win being greater.

Sky could have taken a number of top cyclists and put the amazing group of riders around them and they could have won.
                    Not knocking the last two winners of the TDF just comparing what is really a team sport to an individual one.

I think what helped Brad win SPOTY was winning the time trial in the Olympics along with the TDF.

Comment

This has never been about personality, two horses have won it !! Says it all.
                      Was a horse not Emperor of Rome?

Was it about personality when Steve Davis won it? Now we in the game know he's a funny guy but the radio times readers who voted that year did not.

Andy Murray is nailed on, it's a great achievement and a great sport. Ronnie shouldn't win it ever because his persona is horrible, he can't even keep acceptance speeches clean. He's the best I've ever seen and about the only one I'd now watch but they should never ever interview him it's just embarrassing.

Murray might be "boring" but he's clearly a nice guy trying his hardest.

Comment

Ssb - o'sullivan fails bbc personality test

well ROS did get a mention - all 10 seconds
                        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

And not on the short list again in 2014. Very disappointing, it's not like the BBC don't show him on their channel! It would have given the sport of snooker a boost to have him at least as a contender. It's also a shame that the review of snooker lasted about 10 seconds whereas a lovely young lady going down an ice track on her mum's baking tray filled about 10 minutes!
                          Supporting grassroots snooker in Essex, England

http://www.swdsl.co.uk/
                          http://www.braintreesnookerleague.co.uk/

Comment

I wouldn't get upset by it. It's just BBC ******y, I'm surprised anybody takes the SPOTY seriously any more. It's an occasion for celebrities to get dressed up and mug for the camera. Who cares who wins? Winning Strictly Come Dancing is more prestigious than this.

Comment

I've never understood why Ronnie has never been "shortlisted" for this but now I do after reading this. I'm sure it's no skin off Ronnie's nose, he won't care, but I do think it's unfairly done and it would be nice to see some sports other than the "main draw" get some recognition.

Ronnie's outspokenness is part of what I like about him, I admire the fact that he's not scared to speak his mind and isn't afraid of what other people think, I wish I could have that kind of attitude!

After seeing the way it works then I don't think its worth being shortlisted if you've got to be "safe" first, in the respect of being the way they want you to be and not being someone who speaks their mind. No offence to Andy Murray but I find him extremely boring, and certainly not what I'd call a personality.
                              My top 5 players: 1. Ronnie O'Sullivan 2. Judd Trump 3. Neil Robertson 4. Marco Fu 5. Ding Junhui

Ronnie O'Sullivan is my hero!

Comment

If Hendry can't win it after being 7 times world champion before the age of 30 or 6 times champion at the age of 26, 5 World titles on the spin and losing in the final the year after that and having 9 years at number 1 then Ronnie has no chance.

Comment

Working...
                                X