Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shocking in this day and age still...What you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocking in this day and age still...What you think?

I interviewed a coach about amateur snooker in general as well as the ladies game -

What do you think about his comments and particularly the ladies game in general? Read link below...

http://uk.blastingnews.com/sport/201...002003649.html

Comments?
    Follow my snooker Articles/stories on Twitter@chrisgaynor2

Not new and not just snooker clubs; some golf and tennis clubs can also be added to the list; a snooker club in the next town supposedly does not allow ladies or youngsters; also they just don't like newcomers! A friend who lives close by tried to join and for whatever unknown reason was "unsuccessful".
    The article has no solutions to the issue and the general "down-turn" in recent years of membership of clubs and players.
    I personally think the grass-roots game is not as bad a most say, let's say it has reached its nadir and the only way is up!
    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

I've always felt that if you could encourage the "yummy mummys" in to the clubs with their kids it would have a positive impact on the game.

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
        Not new and not just snooker clubs; some golf and tennis clubs can also be added to the list; a snooker club in the next town supposedly does not allow ladies or youngsters; also they just don't like newcomers! A friend who lives close by tried to join and for whatever unknown reason was "unsuccessful".
        The article has no solutions to the issue and the general "down-turn" in recent years of membership of clubs and players.
        I personally think the grass-roots game is not as bad a most say, let's say it has reached its nadir and the only way is up!
        Hmmm, the article was an interview with a coach, not a PHD thesis on how to solve the problem! That's for the job of the amateur game and those on high!...

As the coach implies in the interview, there has to be a serious change in attitude in the clubs not just on this, but on how snooker has developed since the 1980s. Some clubs really are stuck in a rut!...I know because I play in one!

Comment

ok calm down! :biggrin:
          of course it is only an interview article but I was hoping that such an experienced coach being in the sport since the 70s would maybe give an opinion as to possible avenues of giving the game a boost at the grassroots

Comment

ok calm down! :biggrin:
            of course it is only an interview article but I was hoping that such an experienced coach being in the sport since the 70s would maybe give an opinion as to possible avenues of giving the game a boost at the grassroots
            Do you have any ideas? - I think the answer to this overall question re how to improve grassroots is to make clubs more "modern" and less like the smoking and drinking dens they have been perceived as in the 1980s.

Here's a question: In summer, would you rather take your child to the park for fresh air or down to a dingy snooker place, which is dark and has no atmosphere? My club where I play is like that - even though I love playing the game there!....

I think this is the crux of the argument that the whole place and perception needs to change, which is difficult because snooker is an indoor game which doesn't involve running about after a ball and getting your heart rate up!...

Comment

ha! have you tried to get the kids out in the garden let alone the park (which is just across the road from us) and away from their tech!

How many people saw the "Play for Free at Rileys" campaign a few weeks ago?
              How many that did see it, actually went to the Rileys club?
              How many of those had never played snooker before?

Nope, I have no ideas WPBSA and IBSF (or whatever they are called this week) need to sort out there petty issues and come together for the amateur game. The pro game has prospered under Hearn and team and I do think if he can be convinced to help out the amateur game he would (as long as there was a profit for him :wink

Comment

ha! have you tried to get the kids out in the garden let alone the park (which is just across the road from us) and away from their tech!

How many people saw the "Play for Free at Rileys" campaign a few weeks ago?
                How many that did see it, actually went to the Rileys club?
                How many of those had never played snooker before?

Nope, I have no ideas WPBSA and IBSF (or whatever they are called this week) need to sort out there petty issues and come together for the amateur game. The pro game has prospered under Hearn and team and I do think if he can be convinced to help out the amateur game he would (as long as there was a profit for him :wink
                I agree with you - the amateur game needs a Barry Hearn style character - who knows how to make it a profitable business, or at least get it on that road.

As I say, the main issue IMHO is some clubs and their old-fashioned owners have no idea how to market their product (i.e, the club,) and, more importantly, keep up to date with the modern advancements in snooker, and OK, it hasn't changed that much, but there has been the odd tweak here and there. My club where I play has no STAR tables etc...

As someone who takes the game seriously, as Ive played in places like STAR and VIC ACADEMY in Sheffield, improving the facilities and tables is a must...

Comment

Our club has four tables and they're always busy, but not with serious players I'm afraid. We have one match table set aside for league players only but when all other tables are being used the staff allow anyone to play on it and result is that there are two rips in the cloth and several balls have chips in them. It's being re-clothed next week in time for the new league season but I give it a week before some drunken idiot on a friday afternoon will do something to it.

I was practising solo one sunday lunchtime and a little lad of about six or seven came in to the room and sat down to watch me, he seemed enthralled and I got him to spot the colours for me, but as soon as his mum found him she dragged him out admonishing him like I was some kind of paedophile or something to be avoided.
                  The same with neighbours with little lads who toddle towards my motorbike with out stretched arms, they pull them away 'cos I'm a big bad man with a loud noisy motorbike who must be avoided.

And to be perfectly honest most men play snooker, pool, football, rugby, retire to the shed or whatever to get a breather from the women in their lives. I'm not against women playing traditional male sport, but men need a place where they can tell dirty jokes and fart and belch with freedom and if that's the snooker club then that's the barrier not the game itself.

Ever seen a full on game of netball ? fantastic game, better than basketball any day, but it's also dying at grass roots along with snooker but I don't hear any women saying that more men should be brought into it and the local league is female only unlike the snooker and pool leagues.
                  Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
                  but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

Comment

I agree that the image needs to change, the old style working men's club style cannot attract a younger audience.

when you look at the far east , China , Thailand for example there clubs are modern and clean with quality tables .

I also think that the prices are an issue too paying between £4-£10 an hour is just too much especially for those who want to take it seriously. just imagine you had a kid or 2 wanting to play 3-4 times a week a couple of hours each time it would cost a fortune.

for grassroots to grow it needs to be on a wider scale i.e going into schools having either a snooker table or pool table in schools recreation room would get some kids interested.

Comment

I think we hope but we all know deep down snooker in the UK will never gain the popularity it had in the 80's & into the 90's.

With I pads, phones, X-box's, every channel on the Tv etc kids unfortunately are just not interested in the game.

I said in another thread when my boys friends had free coverage of my table when they wanted but they just put their noses up.

When I was growing up we had 4 channels where Snooker drew everyone in now many won't even give it a minute.

So my point being whether the tables in the clubs were all Star tables & kid friendly we've inherited a generation who are more interested in their gadgets.

Comment

Personally I dont believe the old clubs (whats left of them down here) can change in a way that would attract a new generation to the game. I think it will be a slow process for this to take place and would need sports clubs/ Fitness centres maybe like David Lloyd or Virgin centres etc to buy a Star table or two just as a side attraction almost. Then if the odd good player decides to play on it and kids who are there with parents etc see this it might just be a fresh and new enough concept seem at an entirely new angle by that generation. If that kid goes away and then watches some Youtube snooker and realises the Pro tables are the same as the one in the sports club his/her interest may continue to grow.

As I say its a slow slow burner, but I honestly believe the game needs new reinvention for a new generation and it has to be different from a dark dingy hall with sticky carpet and nicotine stained ceilings. Those places are fine for us because our love of the game was won a long time ago.

The team I played for last year in a local league has finished because we didn't have enough players to make a full team this year, we had one young guy in the team aged 21 who got bored with the spirit in which the old hands treated him and decided he would rather just have fun playing pool with his mates.
                        Last edited by Cue crafty; 14 September 2017, 11:28 AM.
                        ⚪ 🔴🟡🟢🟤🔵💗⚫🕳️😎

Comment

Cue Craft,

Putting 2 Stars in a social sporty area is a cracking idea. Problem is though is the amount of volume of space 2 tables take up, they would never wear that..

Youngsters can't be arsed to play on a ""big table"". Out of a 6 ft Pool table and a 12 ft Snooker table they would always choose the Pool table its just so much easier to sink a ball. Lets face it, Snooker is a true art and takes years to "actually"" play it properly to an enjoyable level..
                          JP Majestic
                          3/4
                          57"
                          17oz
                          9.5mm Elk

Comment

I spent many years in China, where the game is very popular and there is access to it for both men and women. Yet still no female player of note ever emerged. Access to the game is better, now, for women than it has ever been, yet we have still yet to see a female player who can make it on the pro circuit.

I honestly believe that the reason is something biological and that women can't compete at the level of men even where size and strength are not an issue. There are olympic sports where size and strength are irrelevant, for example the shooting disciplines. Despite coaching etc. improving the women's events are trailing the men's.
                            王可

Comment

Originally Posted by philip in china View Post
                              I spent many years in China, where the game is very popular and there is access to it for both men and women. Yet still no female player of note ever emerged. Access to the game is better, now, for women than it has ever been, yet we have still yet to see a female player who can make it on the pro circuit.

I honestly believe that the reason is something biological and that women can't compete at the level of men even where size and strength are not an issue. There are olympic sports where size and strength are irrelevant, for example the shooting disciplines. Despite coaching etc. improving the women's events are trailing the men's.
                              Ng On Yee (current World Champion) admittedly from Hong Kong not China. World

Comment

Working...
                              X