Snooker computer game.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Csmith View Post
    That said, they could probably afford to release during the christmas season since their player base is likely a lot different than that of Call of Duty or many of the other major titles.
    That wouldn't make sense. To release a game with '19' in the title, just before the new year would be counter productive. Two months down the line and it's 'out of date'.
    Last edited by Billy; 8 February 2019, 04:46 PM.
    "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

I dont understand why they havent been able to create the realism of cushionbounce, spin etc, from virtual pool and snooker. oldest crapgame ever but the most realistic in terms of ball roll/ physics of any game . Hope they replicate it like that.

Comment

Originally Posted by 147Daniel View Post
        I dont understand why they havent been able to create the realism of cushionbounce, spin etc, from virtual pool and snooker. oldest crapgame ever but the most realistic in terms of ball roll/ physics of any game . Hope they replicate it like that.
        What game are you referring to when you say 'oldest crapgame ever but the most realistic in terms of ball roll/ physics of any game'

Virtual Pool 4, in my opinion, captures the realism of snooker in pretty much every respect. The tables can be customised to your heart's content - table speed, cushion bounce, cushion slide... you name it, it can be customised. Even the default settings are pretty close to perfect.

But this is a PC only simulation. Console snooker games by comparison have been poor, with only the WSC Real series (especially '05) giving us decent renditions of the real thing.

If this new game can capture the game, in an intuitive way, and give us the quality of physics we see in VP4 (see video) it could be a cracking game.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0ewLOEYy8L0" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
        "Kryten, isn't it round about this time of year that your head goes back to the lab for retuning?"

Comment

i actually ment virtual pool. and virtual snooker. Even the first versions of both those games, let alone v4 as pictured by u above, worked better in teaching me about runningside and checkside. My mum grounded me and didnt allow me play when i was about 14 due to poor grades, so i turned to this game when she stopped me from playing IRL. VP4 is the closest anyone has gotten imo. You can even adjust clothspeed, pocketside, pocketopening angle (parallel or angled open), cushionspeed etc. Magical.

Comment

Originally Posted by 147Daniel View Post
            i actually ment virtual pool. and virtual snooker. Even the first versions of both those games, let alone v4 as pictured by u above, worked better in teaching me about runningside and checkside. My mum grounded me and didnt allow me play when i was about 14 due to poor grades, so i turned to this game when she stopped me from playing IRL. VP4 is the closest anyone has gotten imo. You can even adjust clothspeed, pocketside, pocketopening angle (parallel or angled open), cushionspeed etc. Magical.
            It's a pretty phenomenal simulation and watching gameplay doesn't do it justice. You really have to play it to know it's nuances. When you watch gameplay you may be put off by things like the viewing distance from the table when playing a shot, but what you've got to understand is that all this can be adjusted. Everyone who owns this game can set it up exactly as they please, so that it feels as close to the real thing as any game is going to get.

Comment

Originally Posted by Billy View Post
              It's a pretty phenomenal simulation and watching gameplay doesn't do it justice. You really have to play it to know it's nuances. When you watch gameplay you may be put off by things like the viewing distance from the table when playing a shot, but what you've got to understand is that all this can be adjusted. Everyone who owns this game can set it up exactly as they please, so that it feels as close to the real thing as any game is going to get.
              I've been playing VP4 for several years, and I do have a question for all of you who play IRL and also VP4. It concerns the "accumulated side spin." Picture (in your mind) this shot:
              The white is near the yellow...you play a safety shot...You nick the right side of the pack, bounce off the top cushion, then the side cushion, and are headed now to the baulk cushion...based on the trajectory, you expect the white to bounce off the baulk cushion and bounce slowly (it's just about out of pace) toward the yellow (on its spot). But instead, it hits the cushion, seems to accelerate, and it bounces sharply to the left, toward the brown.
              The players I talk to on VP4 tell me that this is the same as would be expected on a professional table, that the white "picks up running side" off the side cushion, and so bounces off to the left. Okay, I understand, but (even though I don't play in real life) I've watched thousands of frames live or on YouTube, and the bounce is not the same. It seems to me that in real life, the white may pick up spin from the cushion, but it DISSIPATES as the white loses its pace, so that by the time it SOFTLY hits the baulk cushion, it is all but a moot point. It does NOT seem to dissipate at VP4.

Please, this has been bugging me for years! Somebody tell me, am I mistaken? Or is the VP4 cushion effect not quite right?

(PS...I know that I can adjust the cushions to suit me, but it seems ALL snooker players there use the default pro settings.)

(PPS...I play there under the name Vanwinkle...have I played vs any of you here at TSF?)

Comment

Originally Posted by Vanwinkle View Post
                I've been playing VP4 for several years, and I do have a question for all of you who play IRL and also VP4. It concerns the "accumulated side spin." Picture (in your mind) this shot:
                The white is near the yellow...you play a safety shot...You nick the right side of the pack, bounce off the top cushion, then the side cushion, and are headed now to the baulk cushion...based on the trajectory, you expect the white to bounce off the baulk cushion and bounce slowly (it's just about out of pace) toward the yellow (on its spot). But instead, it hits the cushion, seems to accelerate, and it bounces sharply to the left, toward the brown.
                The players I talk to on VP4 tell me that this is the same as would be expected on a professional table, that the white "picks up running side" off the side cushion, and so bounces off to the left. Okay, I understand, but (even though I don't play in real life) I've watched thousands of frames live or on YouTube, and the bounce is not the same. It seems to me that in real life, the white may pick up spin from the cushion, but it DISSIPATES as the white loses its pace, so that by the time it SOFTLY hits the baulk cushion, it is all but a moot point. It does NOT seem to dissipate at VP4.

Please, this has been bugging me for years! Somebody tell me, am I mistaken? Or is the VP4 cushion effect not quite right?

(PS...I know that I can adjust the cushions to suit me, but it seems ALL snooker players there use the default pro settings.)

(PPS...I play there under the name Vanwinkle...have I played vs any of you here at TSF?)
                I used to play IRL, but not even nearly to a standard that would qualify me to answer. Regardless, I'll have a go.

First off, I'm a bit confused about the shot you describe. Are you talking about a shot similar to the break-off, where the white takes the route you describe and comes under the blue and off the left-hand cushion as we look at the table from baulk end? If so, then any running side (in this case right-hand side) would become reverse-side when it comes down the table and hits the left-hand cushion, then the baulk cushion. In this case it should 'check' towards the green.

If, however, the shot you describe has the white coming down the right-hand side of the table, then any right-hand side would remain as 'running' side off all cushions, and 'throw' the white towards brown/green when it hits the baulk cushion.

Can you describe the exact route you're talking about?
                Last edited by Billy; 10 February 2019, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Here's a couple of diagrams as I'm not exactly sure which of these two routes you're describing. The first shows how running/check side would behave with the conventional break/safety shot. The second shows what would happen with a thin snick off the reds so that the ball stays over on the right of the table.

RHS= Right Hand Side
                  RS= Running Side
                  CS: Check Side

rs.jpeg

rs2.jpeg

Comment

Thanks Billy. I was describing rs2, off the right side. In VP4, even with a plain ball hit, no side, the white will pick up running side from (presumably) the right side cushion, and yes, it throws the shot away from the yellow and towards the brown. My question is, basically: Is the VP4 rendering of this effect "true to life" or is it a bit exaggerated?

Comment

Originally Posted by Vanwinkle View Post
                      My question is, basically: Is the VP4 rendering of this effect "true to life" or is it a bit exaggerated?
                      I'll have to watch for it when I next play. To be honest I play almost exclusively pool games when playing VP4, but I will run some experiments next time I load the game up.

I do have a vague recollection of some of the online players talking about this unusual running side, so I fully suspect it's a trait of the game. Maybe it's one area of the ball physics where's there's room for improvement.

ETA: Just played a few test shots, plain ball, thin off the pack, and up the right-hand side of the table. The white definitely throws with running side when it hits the baulk cushion. How exaggerated it is I'm not sure, but my instinct tells me not much.

It might be worth remembering that another trait of this game is that the cue tip doesn't auto-centre with each shot, so unless you check and change its position, you may well be playing shots off-centre.
                      Last edited by Billy; 10 February 2019, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Latest news on the game.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rwVbz1jvm3I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comment

Not much to see but I notice the game looks like all those before it, graphically speaking. In other words we get yet another snooker game with last-gen graphics. I suppose it has to be expected with niche games from a modest developer, but still disappointing. Here's betting the gameplay suffers the same issues too; a table bed that plays like sand and dead cushions.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fmAApnq7kWw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
                          Last edited by Billy; 16 March 2019, 09:50 PM.

Comment

The facial scanning looks quite good I think, but admittedly I haven't played a snooker game since World Championship Snooker 2004 on the PS2 so anything would probably look better.

Comment

Originally Posted by Mark187187 View Post
                              The facial scanning looks quite good I think, but admittedly I haven't played a snooker game since World Championship Snooker 2004 on the PS2 so anything would probably look better.
                              Yeah, it's not bad, but have you noticed it's completely unanimated? Like masks. There's one bit in that clip where Judd Trump is coming out of the wings and just for a second it looks pretty incredible. But then check the crap mocap animation as he's walking towards the camera.

Comment

I am still convinced some of the player animations when taking a shot are from WCS 2002/3

Comment

Working...
                                X