This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
    LoneWolf ,you say it takes years of experimenting to discover a certain makers taper to a shaft as it's a closely guarded secret, why can't you just measure down their shafts at intervals and you can then replicate that taper exactly, if you know how to use a plane.
    I thought most pool shafts were made on a machine? So while the taper will turn out exactly the same the hit will be different as every piece of wood is( so everyone keeps saying) I take your point about laminated shafts , these could easily play much more like each other.
    I agree. As I wrote before tho, some makers have a natural eye or gift to achieve certain outcomes. Laminated shafts is an interesting concept because snooker cue traditionally are not made this way.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that there is room for innovation within making a snooker cue. But which maker has got what it takes to step up with a new winning formula? Or not...
    Perhaps tradition hand splicing is the way it will always be?

J6 is a very open cue maker who is not frightened to reveal how he works to an appreciating audience. This should prove invaluable in the years to come. Open dialogue = endless possibilities :snooker:
    Last edited by the lone wolf; 23 October 2016, 10:10 AM.
    "I got injected with the passion for snooker" - SQ_FLYER
    National Snooker Expo
    25-27 October 2019
    http://nationalsnookerexpo.com

Comment

• Originally Posted by the lone wolf View Post
      Yes; the majority / production cues are made using CNC lathes which is an obvious game changer. But again, some independents do not, and boast the whole 'handmade' claim.
      I'm with j6 on this, you plane down to a rough taper that you use on your cues and then treat each shaft differently depending on what you think will aid the playability. Some of the independents in the US may not use CNC but they use taper bars on a lathe to achieve the same taper each time. I would bet most pool cues have never seen a plane. The skill there is in using a machine rather than hand tools.

Comment

There is a lot of knowledge to be learned by anyone who choose too. The top end manufacturers like Predator and McDermott both have different shaft tapers. The McDermott really encourages the user to use the loop bridge more so than the predator imo but many would say otherwise. The more independent makers have different tapers again and become trade secrets, so the only way one can really learn is through experimental research. Mezz cues have recently launched their version of a snooker cue so it will be interesting to know what kind of taper they have used. However their pricing is all wrong and at £500-700 am sure most snooker players will remain loyal to the tried and tested snooker names...

The J6 shaft may or may not change over time as he has got 'the eye' and talent for it.
        Talent has a big part to play and it is interesting that J6 explains that he allows the wood to dictate the shaft! Which for me is bordering on high end sculpture. An art unto its own!
        It's great watching the development of someone as open as J6... :snooker:
        I wouldn't describe predator and McDermott as top end!

Re mezz snooker cues...they have a weight bolt system for their shafts, something no one else does, i think. This is either an interesting feature or a complete gimmick, I'm not sure which.

These are quite interesting videos on how mid range production cues are made. Full customs are made much more by hand, and makers with decades of experience and good reps are highly sought after, with cues changing hands for tens of thousands. They have decades of experience and are rightly seen as craftsmen.

One more thing. Your point about ordering a new custom and then selling it because it doesn't hit a ton, don't forget there are loads of flippers out there, who order cues years in advance and sell for a higher price to people not wanting to wait. They aren't necessarily bad cues if they are sold on quickly. And some people just have more money than sense and just plain like the thrill of a new cue. We all know the next one is the one, right?

https://youtu.be/6MO4eAoKzZM

https://youtu.be/tVlMQKx0_oM

Comment

• Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
          I wouldn't describe predator and McDermott as top end!

Re mezz snooker cues...they have a weight bolt system for their shafts, something no one else does, i think. This is either an interesting feature or a complete gimmick, I'm not sure which.

These are quite interesting videos on how mid range production cues are made. Full customs are made much more by hand, and makers with decades of experience and good reps are highly sought after, with cues changing hands for tens of thousands. They have decades of experience and are rightly seen as craftsmen.

One more thing. Your point about ordering a new custom and then selling it because it doesn't hit a ton, don't forget there are loads of flippers out there, who order cues years in advance and sell for a higher price to people not wanting to wait. They aren't necessarily bad cues if they are sold on quickly. And some people just have more money than sense and just plain like the thrill of a new cue. We all know the next one is the one, right?

https://youtu.be/6MO4eAoKzZM

https://youtu.be/tVlMQKx0_oM
          Agreed Big Shot
          National Snooker Expo
          25-27 October 2019

Comment

• Originally Posted by RogiBear View Post
            I'm with j6 on this, you plane down to a rough taper that you use on your cues and then treat each shaft differently depending on what you think will aid the playability. Some of the independents in the US may not use CNC but they use taper bars on a lathe to achieve the same taper each time. I would bet most pool cues have never seen a plane. The skill there is in using a machine rather than hand tools.
            Again this is an accurate assessment.
            If the outcome is a product that meets the requirements of its intended purpose and the user, then it's all good!
            National Snooker Expo
            25-27 October 2019

Comment

There is a lot of knowledge to be learned by anyone who choose too. The top end manufacturers like Predator and McDermott both have different shaft tapers. The McDermott really encourages the user to use the loop bridge more so than the predator imo but many would say otherwise. The more independent makers have different tapers again and become trade secrets, so the only way one can really learn is through experimental research. Mezz cues have recently launched their version of a snooker cue so it will be interesting to know what kind of taper they have used. However their pricing is all wrong and at £500-700 am sure most snooker players will remain loyal to the tried and tested snooker names...

The J6 shaft may or may not change over time as he has got 'the eye' and talent for it.
              Talent has a big part to play and it is interesting that J6 explains that he allows the wood to dictate the shaft! Which for me is bordering on high end sculpture. An art unto its own!
              It's great watching the development of someone as open as J6... :snooker:
              Its the years of work that goes into them as you say that stood out. I'd never have thought it.

Yeah, as you can see by the longevity of this thread J6 has caught a lot of attention.
              It's all good stuff, progression has been amazing.

Comment

• Originally Posted by mikeyd100 View Post
                Its the years of work that goes into them as you say that stood out. I'd never have thought it.

Yeah, as you can see by the longevity of this thread J6 has caught a lot of attention.
                It's all good stuff, progression has been amazing.
                Anyone who has been following and reading this thread will surely be impressed by j6uk as he shows all his works from start to finish. All hand made which really is rare nowadays. Even videotapes his cues to show the playability of those cues to let people have a better understanding before they decide to purchase it. This is even rarer and you won't see much, if any, of the other cuemakers doing this. He is proud of his works and doesn't hide from the cue's playability which affects its sale too. This is definitely honesty at its best and we should salute him for it. Plus, the added fact that he sure wields a mean cue and isn't selfish to share his tips on playing well.
                this makes his thread a great read, and for knowledge with regards to making cues and playing the game. It sure will ensure longevity and we should keep him going too.
                well done Jason and keep up the good work of sharing whatever expertise and knowledge you have. Do keep your feet on the ground and carry on your very honest works, without giving in to too much to profitability. Very well appreciated. Cheers

Comment

• Originally Posted by winphenom View Post
                  Anyone who has been following and reading this thread will surely be impressed by j6uk as he shows all his works from start to finish. All hand made which really is rare nowadays. Even videotapes his cues to show the playability of those cues to let people have a better understanding before they decide to purchase it. This is even rarer and you won't see much, if any, of the other cuemakers doing this. He is proud of his works and doesn't hide from the cue's playability which affects its sale too. This is definitely honesty at its best and we should salute him for it. Plus, the added fact that he sure wields a mean cue and isn't selfish to share his tips on playing well.
                  this makes his thread a great read, and for knowledge with regards to making cues and playing the game. It sure will ensure longevity and we should keep him going too.
                  well done Jason and keep up the good work of sharing whatever expertise and knowledge you have. Do keep your feet on the ground and carry on your very honest works, without giving in to too much to profitability. Very well appreciated. Cheers

Indeed and agreed.

Comment

• Well said imagine parris getting on the table for a review on his cues
                    Ton Praram cue series 1 ash shaft Burwood and ebony splices with maple vaneres 58.9.5.29.4.18oz 18 BP

Comment

• with all these praises, im gonna have to give her a pinch for a swift kick in the sack to bring me back down..
                      anyway where i am theres nothing like a few hours over the jig with 5 an 7, i guess i will know when iv done wrong when players dont answer my pms after iv cutum a cue

Comment

• this is just before a ferrule goes on then its the fine work, the one before super fine

Comment

• What are the two pencil lines J? I'm guessing the bottom one is where the splices will come up to, what's the top one for?
                          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
                            What are the two pencil lines J? I'm guessing the bottom one is where the splices will come up to, what's the top one for?
                            guide lines, a habit iv go into so i can keep an eye on dims vs resonance of the shaft every step of the way. rituals, and less is more is the mantra
                            Last edited by j6uk; 23 October 2016, 07:03 PM.

Comment

• cue review

https://youtu.be/dypnICi_nE8

golden ash and macassa ebony
                              17bp

Last edited by j6uk; 25 October 2016, 12:02 PM.

Comment

• What a beautiful sounding hit off that cue, the best I have heard, it seems to have a nice authority about it, if that makes any sense at all.
                                This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
                                https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

Working...
                                X