X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Hello, Mr Big Shot View Post
    Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post
    Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
    The fact you say huffy handshake rather than just handshake speaks volumes to be honest,there are plenty ways where people can show a lack of class but not Gimingham somebody a hugg is not one of them.

Bottom line : there's nothing wrong with what Selby did.
    Apart from nicking Daz's missus, obviously.
    Yep. Heard Appleton did a lot for him to. Let him stay at his house etc

Comment

Bit OTT. Its a game of pool for godsake.😃 lol
      2013/2014 Season Event Predictor Winner!

Comment

I enjoyed watching that - If you guys have not already heard they are trying to make pool and snooker an Olympic event and there is a petition ending today

have a read of my thread you will enjoy it - and sign up if - if you like. Cheers B and well played Darren Ap

http://www.thesnookerforum.co.uk/boa...bid-from-world

Comment

Actually you can see it here at the end - at around 4:38:00. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAaL7ZERSxA

Looks a bit more like one of those awkward ones where one guy has gone in for a hug and the other gone for a handshake. Its not like he pushes him away or anything.
          I still think a hug is way over the top!
          Twice appleton tried to hug him, Selby kept his hand out refusing the hug and after the handshake Appleton offered the hug again only for Selby to turn his back on him!

Comment

Originally Posted by Dave Walton View Post
            Twice appleton tried to hug him, Selby kept his hand out refusing the hug and after the handshake Appleton offered the hug again only for Selby to turn his back on him!
            Selby isn't gay! Maybe Appleton should learn some etiquette

Comment

Got to say I strongly disagree that Selby's refusal to hug Appleton reflects badly on him. You NEVER see two snooker players hug!? That's just insane. A vital part of good sportsmanship (which is something snooker is well-known for) means showing humility in victory. Appleton is known for his over-the-top celebrations when he wins, and in snooker at least that would be considered disrespectful to your opponent.
              A handshake (and perhaps a few kind words) is all that is needed at the end of any match.
              That said, I haven't seen the footage. But I'd like to in order to better appreciate what happened. But on the face of it my view would be that going in for a hug at the end of a match is just not the done thing.
              NEVER, pretty sure Kirk Stevens hugged Jimmy White after his 147, same with Ali Carter against Ebdon, and Drago hugged White after his 147 against him.
              Yes Appleton's celebrations are over the top but still expected more from the supposed jester

Comment

Originally Posted by GeordieDS View Post
                The fact you say huffy handshake rather than just handshake speaks volumes to be honest,there are plenty ways where people can show a lack of class but not giving somebody a hugg is not one of them.
                I agree. I think dropping to your knees with cue in the air because you've won shows less class!

From the video (link posted earlier in this thread) you can't see Selby's face or half his body. It's out of shot. So to describe a handshake you can't really see as huffy suggests the guy is maybe just not a Selby fan.

In all fairness I think that all that has happened here is the result of different etiquette between pool and snooker players. If you watch the ending of pretty much everything snooker match, ever, you will see both players shake hands respectfully with the winner not celebrating and the loser saying well played. For whatever reason pool players can be a little more animated.

Bottom line : there's nothing wrong with what Selby did.
                Its well known I don't like Selby, sorry but have you seen some of Selby's celebrations after winning titles, punching the air, banging the table and screaming up at his team, hardly restrained!

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
                  Selby isn't gay! Maybe Appleton should learn some etiquette
                  Have you seen Appleton's wife, he damn sure ain't gay either! Maybe you should learn its 2015 and most people are past homophobia ;-)

Comment

Have you seen Appleton's wife, he damn sure ain't gay either! Maybe you should learn its 2015 and most people are past homophobia ;-)
                    I'm not most people tho

Comment

I am sure Selby hugged Robertson at the UK Champ final 2013.

Comment

He was actually being polite because he should have told him to back the fck up
                        It's hard to pot balls with a Chimpanzee tea party going on in your head

Wibble

Comment

Stephen Hendry vs Earl Strickland

Enjoy
                          My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                          I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

thanks mythman, I really enjoyed watching two of my all time favourite players playing 8 ball pool ... I know they missed a bit which may be due their age or because 8 ball isn't quite as simple as the "snooker warriors" make out ... but either way, it makes it much more enjoyable to watch imo

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
                              thanks mythman, I really enjoyed watching two of my all time favourite players playing 8 ball pool ... I know they missed a bit which may be due their age or because 8 ball isn't quite as simple as the "snooker warriors" make out ... but either way, it makes it much more enjoyable to watch imo
                              You're welcome

I just love watching Hendry play
                              My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
                              I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
                                You're welcome

I just love watching Hendry play
                                yep, also nice to see Earl the Pearl and Stephen so relaxed - I couldn't quite hear what they were saying to each other but there was clearly a lot of light-hearted banter going on during the match ...

Comment

Working...
                                X