<

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Solo Practice - Snooker Gym

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
    Being able to make the max in the line-up is useful because it's requires execution of much harder shots, and better positional discipline.

There's not really one thing comes first and then the other. As your consistency and execution of difficult shots improve generally, you'll be better no matter what you're doing. You'll be better at the line-up, you'll be better in frames.

I'm not saying just do the line-up by the way, but I do think it's useful, if you're holding yourself to very high standards while you do it.

I personally do exactly as you said in your original post. I practice long shots, I practice the line-up, I practice the T Exercise, I practice real frame break building. I also record my results after every single session so I can see what I achieved and how I'm improving etc. Yes I'm that sad
    Nice reply mate I get what your saying about the line up and I think I will give maxing it a go aswell and add that into my armoury as you say it requires a wider selection of tougher shots than just stun running a red in for the pink ill need to screw it back off the cushion with reverse side for the black or whatever use two cushions to get down etc.

Glad to see am not the only saddo but defo think it helps to break it down, I always see the T shape break building as either a routine for when your high on the pink soft stuns and screws or maybe to sharper your reds into the middle bags? How do you tend to play it?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
    I downloaded a gym timer to my phone (set it to vibrate) so I would know when to change to something different. There's a theory that whatever you are trying to learn, sports, music, languages etc... You need a set goal and you can't work on it for too long because it fries your brain. 20/30 minutes working on something, then a break, then do something else. I can testify to this from learning how to play the banjo with a broken arm. Spent hours trying to learn the same song, gradually starting to hate that song and always messing up at the same bit. Then you take a break and come back to it and seems much easier. Hours wasted.
    And yeah mate I would agree i use to spend long time on one routine like clearing the colours over and over my record was 4 times in a row I could never beat that but it would get so frustrating after an hour on it i usually got a good 3 or 4 in a row in first 20 mins

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Derek P View Post
    Nice reply mate I get what your saying about the line up and I think I will give maxing it a go aswell and add that into my armoury as you say it requires a wider selection of tougher shots than just stun running a red in for the pink ill need to screw it back off the cushion with reverse side for the black or whatever use two cushions to get down etc.

Glad to see am not the only saddo but defo think it helps to break it down, I always see the T shape break building as either a routine for when your high on the pink soft stuns and screws or maybe to sharper your reds into the middle bags? How do you tend to play it?
    Again I approached it like the line-up really. Progressively increasing my break until I could have a max in it. I think it's just about constantly pushing yourself.

Again, focus on it for 45 mins, see what breaks you can make, try and beat it in your next session.

Also, you're exactly right about the more difficult shots. If you get comfortable with those more difficult shots (harder cueing so it needs much better consistency), then that should translate in real frames. Your cueing will be better anyway, and hopefully you'll have easier shots, which you'll now get more often as you've improved your cue delivery.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by tedisbill View Post
    I'd say the line-up in a useful routine. Targets to aim for are: make 50, make 70-80, make 100+, make a total clearance, make a 140+, make a 147.

If you can make 147s in the line-up, then yes, it's a good warm up. If you can't, there's still plenty to learn.
    You can use the line up in so many different ways.
    No cushions.
    Hit cushion after every shot.
    All pinks in middle pockets.
    All blacks, all pinks, all blues, all baulk colors.

Another good one I do is put all 21 balls in a line down the middle of the table, then pot them in order from top to bottom without hitting a cushion.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by travisbickle View Post
    You can use the line up in so many different ways.
    No cushions.
    Hit cushion after every shot.
    All pinks in middle pockets.
    All blacks, all pinks, all blues, all baulk colors.

Another good one I do is put all 21 balls in a line down the middle of the table, then pot them in order from top to bottom without hitting a cushion.
    Yes mate. All good routines. And as you improve doing those, that will obviously translate into your ability in actual frames.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2