Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Absolute Beginner Practice

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    The absolute basic is to look at what you want to hit, just getting down into a text book stance will do nothing unless you're looking at the correct target.
    Some will say you need to learn the correct angles, but that is bollocks, what you need is to focus your eyes on the correct target and the correct target is the contact the cue ball will make on the object ball.
    Focus on this when standing up behind the shot before you get down, switch focus between this and the cue ball as you get down and focus on only this as you deliver the cue.

It's a game of hand/eye co-ordination, your hand will follow your eye, your hand holds the cue. Don't come back with any questions about how to go about doing this, all you have to do is look, keeping your eye on the target will make sure you stay still on the shot, everything comes from the first basic of hitting what you're looking at, this is first and foremost.
    I really like this advice, but it assumes the acceptance of a lot of misses duo looking at the wrong line for the CB? So that does need work, imho.

But most certainly decide exactly how to play the shot before your bridge hand hits the table, AND DO NOT CHANGE YOUR MIND WITHOUT STANDING BACK UP, but that is very, very difficult.

Don't aspire to a perfect textbook stance\action as while I genuinely doubt that one exits, if people claim there is, then it will be out of date in a year or three.

Get a camera thing, or use phone and record yourself - you will probably see what is wrong....

That all typed it would be interesting to have a zero to something thread as per whatshername midget and Chris thingy in that prog which was linked a lil while back. Big Shot?

Esther Rantzen.

This is vmax's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by blahblah01 View Post
    I really like this advice, but it assumes the acceptance of a lot of misses duo looking at the wrong line for the CB? So that does need work, imho..
    There is no line to look at or imagine, you look from the cue ball to the contact point on the object ball and your brain knows that two spheres contacting each other will make one go in a certain direction while the other one goes in another, you learn to control one through the other and that takes time/experience.
    Of course there will be a lot of misses, the bloke's a beginner, but hand/eye is a natural thing and if you have good hand/eye then snooker could be your game once you have ironed out the bad habits; sure you may need other eyes to spot them but on your own at the beginning you focus on target fixation.

LOOK AND LEARN
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

vCash

That is the line that I mean, disagreeing about target on OB and line of CB to that target is semantics to me.

vCash

It's a good thing you brought up the lining up aspects because that was exactly what I was dealing with in my 75 minutes today.

Previously I was playing around the black spot, so I'd look at the line as though I was cueing the object ball straight into the pocket, set my eye on the spot, then step to the white with a sidestep, and then step into it. I figured out the problem with this fairly quickly today when I scattered some reds and went for longer shots. It's just not possible (at least for me) to take multiple steps around the table while keeping a line in your mind, as you need the interaction between CB, OB and yourself all in focus when you're doing it. With that in mind I started to just figure out the angle when standing behind the CB, and it's helped with my ease in playing. It felt unnatural at first, but after a few minutes and ignoring my own doubt about the exact angles it felt a lot easier to step into the ball.

I also adjusted where the cue is on my chin. Previously I seem to have been putting it to the side of my chin, in a line beneath my right (dominant) eye. With no other adjustments other than ensuring it's directly below my chin and from there it's running to my chest I've been potting better, more successfully and seem to have a better idea of the strength on my shots. I have to force myself to do it, but it hasn't necessitated any other changes, so it seems how I was doing it previously was detrimental to my shots.

Finally, I tried putting a ball on every pocket (right in the jaws) and trying to clear them. After a few attempts I tried doing them in an order (top right, top left, middle right, middle left, bottom right, bottom left, starting with the CB on the brown spot.) It was more difficult at first than I thought, and I found myself focusing a lot more on the pace I was hitting the ball and ensuring I didn't follow on the OB. It's a fun little exercise as a beginner, because the ball is (almost) always going in.

I didn't spend as long as I could have practicing today. I figured out the adjustment to how I have to line up the shots halfway through, so I think I'll need a night to sleep on it and a fresh start to really appreciate how to do it.

This is vmax's Country Flag

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CarrotGawks View Post
    It's a good thing you brought up the lining up aspects because that was exactly what I was dealing with in my 75 minutes today.

Previously I was playing around the black spot, so I'd look at the line as though I was cueing the object ball straight into the pocket, set my eye on the spot, then step to the white with a sidestep, and then step into it. I figured out the problem with this fairly quickly today when I scattered some reds and went for longer shots. It's just not possible (at least for me) to take multiple steps around the table while keeping a line in your mind, as you need the interaction between CB, OB and yourself all in focus when you're doing it. With that in mind I started to just figure out the angle when standing behind the CB, and it's helped with my ease in playing. It felt unnatural at first, but after a few minutes and ignoring my own doubt about the exact angles it felt a lot easier to step into the ball.
    You'll find it helps to keep your eye on the object ball as you walk around the table to get behind the cue ball. The cue ball will be in your peripheral vision while doing this and you will take in the whole scenario subconsciously and be more able to focus on the contact point on the object ball when you get into position behind the cue ball.
    Speak up, you've got to speak up against the madness, you've got speak your mind if you dare
    but don't try to get yourself elected, for if you do you'll have to cut your hair

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by vmax View Post
    You'll find it helps to keep your eye on the object ball as you walk around the table to get behind the cue ball. The cue ball will be in your peripheral vision while doing this and you will take in the whole scenario subconsciously and be more able to focus on the contact point on the object ball when you get into position behind the cue ball.
    Yeah. I more meant that I'd line up the straight shot then step into the cue ball from the straight on shot, rather than doing it from behind the cue ball as a separate step. This was only really possible when I was taking one step from the object ball to the cue ball. Today when I had to make multiple steps I'd lose the line on the object ball, so now I think I have to consider the angle a distinct phase from behind the cue ball.

What is pleasing is I've definitely noticed a small improvement from my first time there. Today was only my fourth visit but each time I'm there there's something new to think about and work on, all while practicing the stuff I'd realised previously. Hopefully, someday soon I'll actually be able to screw the ball, which is something I've tried a few times (following along from videos online) and it's just not something I can manage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2