Learning Billiard Angles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning Billiard Angles

Quick question; I'm being lazy and thought I'd ask first then look things up later.... is there somewhere online that shows the angles for going in-off so I can at least get a handle on what's involved?

I scanned a book last year (Clive Everton's) and there was the half-ball in-on-ff ball on blue spot and the in-off spotted red from near the middle pocket... but without using side or pace to vary the shot... what's the rule of thumb guys?

Are there some shots akin to getting blacks off the spot that create good opportunities for scoring heavy? in-off ball to middle bringing obj back to near middle's good but I only ever play when I'm in a club/league match!

newb mistake last week was to pot red and go for a cannon near the blue line ready for another pot off blue spot, only for my opponent to remind the Ref to put the red back on the black spot, as I'd "split the break".... humpf.

I enjoy the odd game of billiards, it's REALLY improved my snooker laying skills, cannons in break-building and snooker escapes. Much underrated.

ttfn.
    Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Dave ,
    Havent you watched any billiards on TV?? It would be great if you did.
    One advice I can give you is play billiards as slowly-softly as possible. You heard about the TOP table position? Its the best for scoring.

I some times just put the balls in that position and practice , I make breaks of about 40-50 , My max on top table is 79.
    Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

No, Billiard's doesn't get any airtime over here Ranen; it does in India then?

Play around the Black spot, is that what you mean? Maybe a little coaching of what you mean..... shoe on the other foot!

I can get a few pots and then go up to the blue and then come back to the black spot maybe join the opponent's ball in and try and gather them together looking at the positional side; but that only gets me about 20+ or so. Long range in-offs seem to be a great asset, like long potting in snooker.

(Check your PM's for the link yeah?)
      Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

The top table position is around the black allright. Let me explain.
        The top table position is when the red is on its spot and the opponents cue ball is behind the red close to the cushion. When incase you get this position in a match , consider yourself lucky! You can make a break of atleast 50+ just by using a little of your snooker knowledge.

Its like a sequence first you cannon , get the red close to the pocket then pot the red and again get yourslef a cannon position. This is a little difficult as you may have to play the red very thin for the cannon but once you are used to this you will benifit a lot.It all depends on your cue ball control. People have made breaks of 500+ on the top table position.

Tell me a site where I could make a virtual snooker table and show you how to do a few things?

Comment

Thanks for that Rane, http://cuetable.com/WeiTable/ is one that I rely on; let me know if it's a red-x fault for you, that'll mean I need to do something at my end.

I've only ever done a "Alt Gr"+"Print Screen" pasting that into paint, but as SilverDragon showed in the "Billiard Quiz Thread", you'll be able to extract some code and paste that up instead to save time.... inbetween your revision!!!

Top Table scoring seems worth finding out about, that billiard high break honours board is coming!

Comment

This is funny , I havent got paint in my comp. This thing seems to be confusing. I am desperate to explain this to you. But how?

Comment

Oh damn! This is the third time I am typing this. The first 2 times I did , it said page coulnd not be found when I pressed submit.

Well Dave if you can figure out these photos.

The first one has the legend Geet Sethi playing at the top table position.
              The second one has Ashok Shandilya playing the red pot after the cannon.

At the top table position , you need to get your cue ball in an angle so that you can make a cannon and then pot the red. Its done slowly so that the red does not get into the pocket or any error occurs.
              After the cannon you get the red similar to the Ashok Shandilya shot , you need to pot the red in such a way that you make angle for the next cannon. In case this does not happen then you always have the red pot. There is a rule here.

A player cannot play for more than 100 points on the top table position. The refree starts to give a BAULK LINE WARNING where the player
              has to play such a shot that the cue ball has to get inside the baulk line and come back at this position. If unable to do so , Its a foul.

Ill try to explain this and a few other shots if i get to use another computer where I can use paint.

Comment

Maybe if you use the wei table Rane, that way you'll only have to move the balls round, draw lines and then take the code out it generates of the table layout and post something similar to SilverDragon. After you've taken a snapshot of the layout, you can simply move the balls around again and take another snapshot and post the code and I can follw things in great detail.
                Otherwise, you'll be faffing (good english term!) around copying, pasting, hosting and lots of other nonsense.

I'll look forward to getting warned as I approach 100!!

Losing posts? I've done it a few times, normally it's because I use a tabbed browser and mean to press 'back' on a different window than the post I'm creating... grrr. At least I might right it better the second time. "Select all->ctrl-C" now and again only lets you lose only part of what you're writing as you can then ctrl-v/paste it back again.

Comment

How do I save the WEITABLE?? I remember using another table a month ago , dont remember what the name was. I felt it was easier to use.

In WEITABLE when I clicked on howto and then clicked on save table , It shows a few icons I need to click on to save the table. But I dont see those icons??? What do I do?

Comment

Hi Ranen, I've PM'd you but the gist was basically to have a play with it and test using copy&paste buttons that are already on the site. when you've a set-up you're happy with, press "copy" on the site, then go to the post in the forum and do a ctrl-v (paste) and the code (similar to SilverDragon) will magically appear and I (we) will be able to copy that into pur PC's clipboard and then press "paste" on the weitable (I'm pronouncing it Way-Table rather than like that female golfer) which will immediately show the exact same arrangement of the balls. I feel a, sticky "how to", document coming on!

good luck - we'll look forward to a hosted digi camera movie in the future when you're a rupee millionaire!

Comment

Recorded Page 1: http://CueTable.com/P/?#3AAWi3CAVR3PRJq#
                      If this is what you want Dave. This is the top table position.

Comment

That's great Ranen; that shows me the red on the black, the yellow right behind it on the cushio and the white towards the yellow cushion about level with the pink spot (pyramid don't you know).... what'll be good now is a few more (with lines even?) showing a few shots from this position until it starts repeating itself.... will look forward to your next post. If I get the time, I'll convert them to an animated gif and then post that back up to show everyone else what you're teaching us.

Comment

I tried showing arrow marks. Couldnt find the arrows?? Do you know what are the standard in-offs?

In what other way can I help you Dave? I am not a billiards player though. I have just learnt these watching Billiards on TV. Watched it live 2 months ago.

2 months ago I watched Geet Sethi playing , you wont believe it he made a 89 break with only the red and most of them were in-offs. The opponents cue ball got potted when he was on 9 made 80 after that. Forgot to mention it was an 89 unfinished.

Oh sorry , I got carried away got my mind completely into billiards. Am I here to teach u a few thing or describe matches to you!

Comment

I don't mind; I like to be inspired.

as for the standard shots, I'm getting a handle on them, but having more than 1 person or a quick book-look is better imo.

for lines, maybe try http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html instead.

good luck... I'm off to get slaughtered watching the Champions League final with a load of Gooners. We took their FA cup title off them, so we're making sure they don't let a non-english side get even a loan of the Champions' League trophy!

"Thierry Henry signs for arsenal after winning the Biggest Club football trophy"... don't trip off the tongue, but it's most likely true.

Comment

Originally Posted by ranen
                              I tried showing arrow marks. Couldnt find the arrows??
                              On cuetable, you double click the balls to draw out their paths. Click once to change direction then double click again to finish. You'll see what I mean.

Sorry to interrupt this mega-rally of a thread by the way. I don't play billiards so I can't contribute much but I'm reading with interest, I'll give it a go next time I go down to the club.

Comment

Working...
                              X