No announcement yet.

Alex Higgins "in the eye of the Hurricane - my story" review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And in support of Mon I also would like to say the thing that makes any man a man is not that much between his legs but rather between his ears. Sorry if my language is not being very adequate for a young lady!
    ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

Originally Posted by April madness View Post
      And in support of Mon I also would like to say the thing that makes any man a man is not that much between his legs but rather between his ears. Sorry if my language is not being very adequate for a young lady!
      Not to mention that the performance of what he has between his legs is rarely enhanced by excess of alcohol
      Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
      http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Good review... thank you Mon.

The question that comes to mind is whether or not a man/boy, such as Alex, can be forgiven for all the vices and failings that millions or ordinary men also exhibit because of his amazing snooker skills and celeb status?
        In other words... is it more ok for some to act like assh*les than others?
        Also, do we accept and excuse his short-comings as a necessary package that comes with his unique skill?
        Does "snooker"?

=o)

Noel

Comment

Originally Posted by noel View Post
          Good review... thank you Mon.

The question that comes to mind is whether or not a man/boy, such as Alex, can be forgiven for all the vices and failings that millions or ordinary men also exhibit because of his amazing snooker skills and celeb status?
          In other words... is it more ok for some to act like assh*les than others?
          Also, do we accept and excuse his short-comings as a necessary package that comes with his unique skill?
          Does "snooker"?

=o)

Noel
          Noel this is a difficult question. I will try to answer it seriously at the risk of making a laughing stock of myself or get eggs on my face.
          Every person is a package with goods and bads, talents and flaws. Each "receiving" person also has his/her own character and is able to take accept some things, others not.
          A great talent can "compensate" to a certain extend for some flaws in the eyes of many. But there is always a limit.
          Personally the things I can't stand are: nastyness, dishonesty and "not trying to be better", sheer egoïsm. I'm Afraid Alex ticked all three... sorry for Alex fans.
          And he has NO excuse. He was a much loved kid, he was sane, he was supported all and through by family and friends, he was given many chances, he had the money and the means to get help if needed. He just didn't want it. Considered himself above it. Too bad. Not for me.
          I know he set snooker alight. It's the game I love and I'm gratefull to him for that. I also know in his own way he tried to reunite his people and country. But as a person and a man, no, not for me!

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
            Son of Cliff you made my day! Being branded a "young lady" two weeks before turning 54 is quite ... endearing
            You are totally wrong about me: I have no problem with men being men ... quite the contrary. But living with a drunk, prone to violence and having no intention to change in any way because he thinks he is entitled to behave this way because he is a celeb is a totally different story. No one, man or woman should be treated by his/her partner or wife/husband the way Alex's partners were. Not just Lynn.
            Fair point Monique, Alex and Lynn stayed with us at the family home for a whole week in the early 80's, and I have to say they got on great, and Lynn seemed to enjoy the life she had as Alex's wife. Although Alex was drunk most of the time, and he got knocked out cold one night in Merthyr and nearly knocked out the next night in Caldicot, but the snooker was first class :snooker:
            Welsh Is Best

Comment

Originally Posted by Son of Cliff View Post
              Fair point Monique, Alex and Lynn stayed with us at the family home for a whole week in the early 80's, and I have to say they got on great, and Lynn seemed to enjoy the life she had as Alex's wife. Although Alex was drunk most of the time, and he got knocked out cold one night in Merthyr and nearly knocked out the next night in Caldicot, but the snooker was first class :snooker:
              I also want to add something that is not at all specific to Alex' story. Becoming a mother often changes the outlook completely. Living with a person who is "difficult" for any reason - bad health, depression, addiction problem - is demanding, always, but can still be managed if you love and care for that person. However, every human person has limits and needs some freedom and "breathing space"... even women. Young children are also extremely demanding. Coping with both young children and a "difficult" partner can just become too much. What was manageable before may not be anymore, independantly of how much you love the person. More often than not the children will get priority: I think you can't begrudge us for that Biology and nature have "programmed" us that way, otherwise most probably the human race would have disappeared a good while ago...

Comment

This snooker site would not be here had it not been for this man.....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=df9T5p...eature=related

Seen him recently....I dont think he has long left in this world. Without doubt the greatest of them all.

Comment

There are many oridinary men for some oridinary women to like and not complain about.

Alex Higgins is special. He will always be remembered as a great snooker player, who played the game like no one else had.

Trying to judge him as a husband is like trying to judge a Ferrari as a family car.

Alex Higgins probably does not really care whether an old lady on this forum approves his life style or not anyway.
                  www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Old lady? well, well ...
                    Ordinary woman? What do you know about me exactly pooljunkie?

I'm not challenging that Alex Higgins is special as a snooker player. I just explained why I don't like his persona which I think I'm entitled to ...
                    I'm a woman, yes, and as such I see things on a diffrent point of view than you guys. What's wrong with that?

I "judged" Alex Higgins on the basis of his autobiography. You "judge" me on the base of nothing ...

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                    There are many oridinary men for some oridinary women to like and not complain about.

Alex Higgins is special. He will always be remembered as a great snooker player, who played the game like no one else had.

Trying to judge him as a husband is like trying to judge a Ferrari as a family car.

Alex Higgins probably does not really care whether an old lady on this forum approves his life style or not anyway.

Comment

Why not judge Alex Higgins like a husband as well?? Why not overcome the cliches? "People's champion", "greatest player", "Blink and you'll miss him" etc.
                      Why not see the entire picture, the cobwebs in the corners too? Alex was a wonderful player; I read his book and I don't think spending more than a few days around him would be something that I'd want.
                      What Monique tried in her review was to see beyond cliches and set phrases.
                      And how many artists were/are impossible to live with anyway? In lit class I was taught to try and separate "the man" and "the work". It can be difficult at times but necessary.

@pooljunkie:
                      Of course he doesn't care. Why should he? Why should any of the players allow themselves to be affected by something a complete stranger posts on an Internet forum?
                      Daft.
                      Last edited by Black_cat; 9 December 2008, 07:54 PM.
                      S.P.I.L.F.

Comment

The only good snooker autobiography is Cliff Thorburn's

The rest are self serving, self promoting tripe

Comment

It is just like trying to judge Van Gohn on his relationshop with postitutes, rather than his impact and achievement in the art world.

Just because you do not want to spend a few days with the guy does not really mean anything regarding his character.
                          www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
                            It is just like trying to judge Van Gohn on his relationshop with postitutes, rather than his impact and achievement in the art world.
                            No it isn't. Do you need to like a person to be able to appreciate his/her abilities? Not me. Once again I'm not challenging Alex snooker or the huge impact he had on the game. I just state that he is a person I dislike and that his autobiography hasn't changed my opinion.
                            I dislike Shaun Murphy's public persona also, for totally different reasons (obviously ), but still consider him as one of the very best players on the circuit nowadays (provided he can pull himself together this season though ... )

BTW are you sure you mean Van Gogh, not Toulouse-Lautrec?

Comment

I thought this was a fair review by Monique, a supporter and defender of another troubled soul in Ronnie O Sullivan.

The book covers many aspects of Alex's life from a first person perspective...rather than the more humour filled version by Bill Borrows which is a better, perhaps more insightful read-although I dont think either do him complete justice.

Alex was the sports biggest draw and made the game what it is today. A complex character, a wild child, utterly compelling to watch, invented shots, played unothadox, beat everyone around, won world titles in two different decades, potted anything, gave some of the best journalistic quotes ever, moody, funny and a gentleman too at times, a complete jekell and hyde. Picked on, ripped off, promoted and destroyed by himself as well as others, ofted addicted and over abused everything put in front of him. Rags to riches and back again.
                              His biggest win beating Hendry, the greatest snooker player ever statistically speaking. His biggest mistakes...loosing his wife in my opinion, trusting the wrong people and indulging in vices rather than seeking to cure them, but show me a man with no faults and no regrets and I will show you a liar.

Lived a life did old Sandy thats for sure...God bless him.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cuX-X0...eature=related

Comment

Originally Posted by Monique View Post
                                No it isn't. Do you need to like a person to be able to appreciate his/her abilities? Not me. Once again I'm not challenging Alex snooker or the huge impact he had on the game. I just state that he is a person I dislike and that his autobiography hasn't changed my opinion.

Yes, I am sorry I suppose I misunderstood your point. I admire what Alex Higgins has achieved, but do I or will I like him I am not sure. I dont really consider that important because I only care about watching him play.
                                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                                X