• Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
    Did anyone see these items on ebay?

Guentherman Tin Windup Billiard Pool Snooker Player

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4008466025...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ye Olde Ash cue

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2617693329...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    another ye old ash went on yesterday along with a Stevenson cue not sure if it's authentic but If it is authentic its a very early one

Comment

• Tony Ions copy . . aparently. .

Comment

• This Butters cue doesn't look right to me, ill fitting badge and i have never seen him use veneers like this, hoping to be proved wrong, but ......
        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/James-butt...item4ae567dff3

Comment

• Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          This Butters cue doesn't look right to me, ill fitting badge and i have never seen him use veneers like this, hoping to be proved wrong, but ......
          http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/James-butt...item4ae567dff3
          I had a look at this JRC , do you think the butt is very varnished for a Butters cue?
          This is how you play darts ,MVG two nines in the same match!
          https://youtu.be/yqTGtwOpHu8

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
            I had a look at this JRC , do you think the butt is very varnished for a Butters cue?
            Well i am 99.99 % sure it's not right

Comment

• Originally Posted by itsnoteasy View Post
              Think he's probably given it a quick coat of oil for the pictures thinking it would make it look better.
              No one is listening until you make a mistake!

Comment

• This box seems to be too old ( older than the rules of snooker ) ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Ma...item2ee0657387

Maybe just the date thats out though.

Does anyone know when the blue and brown balls were introduced in snooker ?

Aparently it was after the introduction of the other colours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

• sorry, double post
                  Last edited by billabong; 7 May 2015, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• The coloured balls (but not the black) were already in existence when Snooker was derived (1875, Chamberlain etc.) hence they are called "Pool balls" not "colour balls" in the early rules, as they were used in the Life Pool games. The black may have been specially created for snooker at the time of Chamberlain and snooker has been referenced as "Black Pool" in some places.
                    Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

• Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                      The coloured balls (but not the black) were already in existence when Snooker was derived (1875, Chamberlain etc.) hence they are called "Pool balls" not "colour balls" in the early rules, as they were used in the Life Pool games. The black may have been specially created for snooker at the time of Chamberlain and snooker has been referenced as "Black Pool" in some places.
                      The wiki stuff is throwing me then. it says ( and I know it's not always 100% correct )

"Black pool was the next version created. Black pool was similar to pyramid pool, except that the black ball from life pool was added to the game and could be potted for more points. In 1875, at the officers' mess in Jabalpur in the Central Provinces, Colonel Sir Neville Francis Fitzgerald Chamberlain suggested adding the other coloured balls to the new version. The game was beginning to resemble snooker in its current form, though the blue and brown balls were added in later years."

Were the blue and brown added from life pool then ( 1875 ) , or later ?

Comment

• from the Norman Clare it appears Brown was already in the life pool games and blue was also used in pool games and probably was added to the snooker game after Yellow Green and the Brown, along with the Pink and Black.
                        Actual timing is difficult to stamp down, letters from the time seem that all the colours (except Black) were in existence in life pool but dating when each colour is added to Snooker, so could be anywhere from 1870s to 1880s. It appears that by 1890s, the colours as we know today were in place, and by 1900s the rules show them for Snooker and not "Snooker Pool" or "Black Pool".

Comment

• Originally Posted by billabong View Post
                          This box seems to be too old ( older than the rules of snooker ) ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Ma...item2ee0657387

Maybe just the date thats out though.

Does anyone know when the blue and brown balls were introduced in snooker ?

Aparently it was after the introduction of the other colours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          It may appear to be old, but this type of cabinet was designed and first produced by Burroughes and Watts in the 1920s. They are generally distinguished by the type of handle and locking mechanism. This particular example was being supplied in the 1950s (as per this illustration from their 1952-53 catalogue)

The central disk which would have identified B&W as the maker has fallen out and been replaced by a coin. This seems to be quite a common occurrence with this box – I have only seen one before with the disk still in place. The balls look to be Super Crystalate (Post-1972) and if so, would not be contemporary with the cabinet.

These cabinets are not that rare, and you should be able to pick one up for about £50.

Comment

• Lovely old case hopelessly over priced. The balls look like '60's crystalates of little value. I have discussed the lack of a black ball on Life Pool scoring equipment with many people including dear old Norman Clare but have never reached a true provable answer as to its absence. I believe it was because in drawing for play an officer of the military mess should never be "Black Balled as in colloquial terms it would been he was dismissed the service. F.

Comment

• Originally Posted by franksandellsnooker View Post
                              Lovely old case hopelessly over priced. The balls look like '60's crystalates of little value. I have discussed the lack of a black ball on Life Pool scoring equipment with many people including dear old Norman Clare but have never reached a true provable answer as to its absence. I believe it was because in drawing for play an officer of the military mess should never be "Black Balled as in colloquial terms it would been he was dismissed the service. F.

I assumed that the balls were "Supers" as I thought that the colours are a bit too vibrant to be the old composition, but the photo is hardly conclusive.

I also have never seen a pool marking board with provision for a black ball, although I have seen a reference to it being used in the pool. It is listed in the sequence of balls by Crawley in his "Billiards Book" 1866. This also references a "spot-black" and omits the Pink ball. I have never actually seen a marking board laid out like this, and I'm not sure how you would make a "spot-black" but assume that this game was played at one time.

Last edited by 100-uper; 7 May 2015, 10:02 AM.

Comment

• 100-uper/Frank - fantastic information there, many thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X